Trump pardons: 100 more to go
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:38:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump pardons: 100 more to go
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Trump pardons: 100 more to go  (Read 5743 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2021, 05:48:53 PM »

The number of arrests of Capitol rioters is like at 400 now, so if it's only 100 then it won't include them. I'm sure this is just a standard batch of cronies along with a few people actually deserving of it thrown in as a 0.

Unless it were to be a blanket pardon, of course.

I don't think "blanket pardons" are legal. Haven't there been several cases around legality of using an autopen for mass pardons, which of course would not be necessary if one could issue a blanket pardon?

You don't need an autopen for 100 signatures.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2021, 06:12:45 PM »

Am I right that it's somehow not illegal for him to sell pardons?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2021, 06:13:26 PM »

The QAnon Viking wants a pardon, Trump would be removed from office if he did such a thing
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2021, 06:28:48 PM »

Am I right that it's somehow not illegal for him to sell pardons?

Both sides to a pay-for-pardons scheme could be subsequently prosecuted for bribery, but the pardons in question (for the buyers' original offenses) would remain fully valid.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2021, 06:46:29 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2021, 06:50:27 PM »

We’ll see
LtNOWIS

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2021, 07:09:13 PM »

Honestly, a constitutional amendment should be passed to strip the President of his/her pardon powers. It is a bizarre, monarch-style power which has the potential to cause a lot more harm than good. Or at the very least, pardons should have to be approved by a commission of legal experts.
Right... or at the very very least, stop presidential pardons from happening in the lame duck period. Or if you want to make it clearer what that is, just block all presidential pardons between November and January.

That's probably the biggest no-brainer of an amendment I can think of.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2021, 07:57:22 PM »

Pardongate 2.0 is here! The writers really showed their hand with this one.

I highly doubt he'll pardon anyone involved in the Capitol insurrection because it would be a bad look while he tries to argue in the impeachment trial and possibly future criminal and civil trials that he didn't endorse the insurrection. Trump would gain nothing from it and he only gives a sh!t about what benefits himself.

I was actually thinking the same thing, and that probably goes for pardoning himself as well. It's another reason why going through with the second impeachment seems to have been worth it in disarming Trump from somehow being even more corrupt.

However, it still won't stop him from pardoning obvious criminals who deserved their sentences and only doing so out of shamelessness, spite, and/or rewarding loyalty. That's why I almost want to give kudos to Li'l Wayne for knowing what he would get out of endorsing Trump during the general election.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2021, 11:52:39 PM »

I wonder which mass murderer he'll pardon this time. (Sadly not joking or using hyperbole)

BTK, who seems like a reactionary prick. (Yes, his offenses were state crimes, but Trump might be stupid enough to pardon him).
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2021, 12:13:50 AM »

My suggestion is just that pardons and commutations are put on hold for 60 days or something (executions excepted) pending an optional review by Congress, whereby they can nullify by some large majority (2/3 rds?). This would leave the power open for any sane usage and avoid scenarios like pardoning every murderer for any crime they ever committed, and probably for less serious scenarios too like pardoning friends/family or other corrupt usage.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2021, 12:35:16 AM »
« Edited: January 19, 2021, 12:42:19 AM by Yoda »

The number of arrests of Capitol rioters is at like 400 now, so if it's only 100 then it won't include them. I'm sure this is just a standard batch of cronies along with a few people actually deserving of it thrown in as a 0.

I was (still am sorta I guess) worried about trump mass pardoning all the terrorists who stormed the Capitol. Seems silly now as I realize that most of these people can't afford the likely minimum 25k donation to trump's campaign or PAC, or 10K to a former trump aide to lobby on their behalf, that it would take to get one of these pardons. This list will be overwhelmingly white, male, rich, republican, well-connected, and criminal, with a few black rappers who praised trump thrown in as tokens.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2021, 12:41:45 AM »

My suggestion is just that pardons and commutations are put on hold for 60 days or something (executions excepted) pending an optional review by Congress, whereby they can nullify by some large majority (2/3 rds?). This would leave the power open for any sane usage and avoid scenarios like pardoning every murderer for any crime they ever committed, and probably for less serious scenarios too like pardoning friends/family or other corrupt usage.

I've always found the pardon power to be grossly undemocratic and unbelievably ripe for abuse, and that was my view looong before trump. Instead of what you propose I've always thought that if someone truly deserved a pardon, the President could propose a pardon and both Houses of Congress would need something like 2/3 in favor for it to be approved (I'd settle for even a majority). In trump's case, this would have prevented all of his corrupt pardons to all his friends who colluded with Russians on his behalf and got caught, the murderer eddie gallagher, the blackwater butchers, etc.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2021, 12:44:54 AM »

Uhhhh.....you probably should Rudy lol. I mean Rudy is absolutely covered in filth from the Ukraine scandal. Lev Parnas alone probably has enough info to put him away. This would be truly shocking if it turned out to be true.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2021, 12:47:29 AM »
« Edited: January 19, 2021, 12:50:30 AM by R.P. McM »

I would just encourage Democrats to remember that this is what the 5th column looks like. Don't vote for any of their candidates, for any office, ever. This is just what the modern GOP is. Stop minimizing it, stop apologizing for it, accept reality, and do what needs to be done.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2021, 12:49:24 AM »

I've always found the pardon power to be grossly undemocratic and unbelievably ripe for abuse, and that was my view looong before trump. Instead of what you propose I've always thought that if someone truly deserved a pardon, the President could propose a pardon and both Houses of Congress would need something like 2/3 in favor for it to be approved (I'd settle for even a majority). In trump's case, this would have prevented all of his corrupt pardons to all his friends who colluded with Russians on his behalf and got caught, the murderer eddie gallagher, the blackwater butchers, etc.

Eh, as ripe for abuse as it has proven to be when bad actors come into play, the pardon power has always been one of the only avenues (&, sometimes, the LAST avenue) by which a wrongly convicted person can receive justice, or where a person given an unreasonably long prison sentence (often in cases of a defendant being "made an example of") can have their sentence mitigated. Congress being granted a sort-of "Congressional Review Act" but for pardons seems like a good idea in theory, 'til you remember that they're the ones who created the unjust sentencing laws in the first place, & them changing them for the better doesn't seem likely anytime soon. For a lot of people, the pardon power is (&, in all administrations but this one, has been) their only hope for justice.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2021, 12:56:29 AM »

Here's my 2-cents about the pardon power: it's one of the only avenues (&, sometimes, the LAST avenue) by which a wrongly convicted person can receive justice, or where a person given an unreasonably long prison sentence (often in cases of a defendant being "made an example of") can have their sentence mitigated. Congress being granted a sort-of "Congressional Review Act" but for pardons seems like a good idea in theory, 'til you remember that they're the ones who created the unjust sentencing laws in the first place, & them changing them for the better doesn't seem likely anytime soon. For a lot of people, the pardon power is (&, in all administrations but this one, has been) their only hope for justice.

Unfortunately, the ability of GOP officials to escape accountability far outweighs the injustice visited upon low-level offenders. It would be great if Republicans could view the pardon power not as a get-out-of-jail-free card for their criminal co-conspirators. But that's just a pipe dream. They are what they are, sadly. Which means that low-level offenders need to suffer for their sins.    
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2021, 10:12:17 AM »

Any thoughts as to what time today or tomorrow Pardonpalooza will take place? Will wait until tonight or tomorrow morning to avoid the news? Or maybe Trump wants/doesn't care if this all makes the news.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2021, 10:37:57 AM »

Any thoughts as to what time today or tomorrow Pardonpalooza will take place? Will wait until tonight or tomorrow morning to avoid the news? Or maybe Trump wants/doesn't care if this all makes the news.

Many times these don't get submitted/announced until like 11:59 AM on the last day.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2021, 10:46:10 AM »

Twenty-twenty-twenty-four hours to goooo, I want to be sedated!

$1000 on a pardon for Steve Bannon.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2021, 11:20:04 AM »

Twenty-twenty-twenty-four hours to goooo, I want to be sedated!

$1000 on a pardon for Steve Bannon.

Apparently Trump contacted Steve Bannon recently to get help in overturning the election results. If that's the true nature of their interaction then I'm guessing Trump won't give him one since Bannon obviously didn't help out at all.
Angel of Death
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2021, 11:25:53 AM »

"Never believe anything until it is officially denied."
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2021, 11:36:17 AM »

The number of arrests of Capitol rioters is at like 400 now, so if it's only 100 then it won't include them. I'm sure this is just a standard batch of cronies along with a few people actually deserving of it thrown in as a 0.

I was (still am sorta I guess) worried about trump mass pardoning all the terrorists who stormed the Capitol. Seems silly now as I realize that most of these people can't afford the likely minimum 25k donation to trump's campaign or PAC, or 10K to a former trump aide to lobby on their behalf, that it would take to get one of these pardons. This list will be overwhelmingly white, male, rich, republican, well-connected, and criminal, with a few black rappers who praised trump thrown in as tokens.

I'm not so sure about that. Remember from what we've seen thus far most of these rioters had solid middle to upper middle class jobs. Podium guy was the stay-at-home house husband of a doctor. Another dude was the CEO of a suburban Chicago internet company. Then there's that rich Karen realtor from Texas.

If I was their attorneys and knowing to what degree their asses are on the line facing federal charges, I'd be having a come-to-jesus meeting with them to ask the simple question, how much is your freedom worth to you? Then start writing checks like a mofo to whichever fixer I knew could likely get the job done.

And my greatest fear is that's exactly what is happening. We get Buffalo boy, but most of the bastards escape.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2021, 02:28:41 PM »

Most of his pardons have come in the evening. Although I guess it's possible he drops them all before getting on Air Force One tomorrow.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2021, 05:11:08 PM »

Well, can't vouch for the accuracy of this article of course (I wonder if maybe his lawyers are leaking like a bum toilet), but here is the back story of the Trump mind if, as suggested here, Trump's pardon list is anti-climatic.

The "shocker" here, to the extent there is one, is that some Pub lawmakers allegedly sought pardons, or clemency. What? What is that all about?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/19/politics/trump-self-pardon-warning/index.html
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2021, 05:14:44 PM »

Most of his pardons have come in the evening. Although I guess it's possible he drops them all before getting on Air Force One tomorrow.

Maybe he'll drop them from Air Force One as he flies away. like dropping leaflets.  You find one you get one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies