Describe a McGovern-Reagan Voter (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:31:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe a McGovern-Reagan Voter (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a McGovern-Reagan Voter  (Read 2612 times)
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« on: May 09, 2021, 08:01:38 PM »
« edited: May 09, 2021, 08:06:33 PM by Mondale »

Name a McGovern-Ford voter:  McGovern.

Not only did McGovern vote for Ford....his whole family voted for Ford.

MCGOVERN: I have to tell you something I’ve never said before publicly. I voted for him in 1976.

KING: What?

MCGOVERN: When he — yes, I did. And at Thanksgiving dinner that year, I never said anything about this to Eleanor or to her five children. But I told them at Thanksgiving time I had voted for President Ford, even though he lost. And I told them why, because I thought he had come in at a difficult time. I didn’t know President Carter very well then. And I just felt more comfortable somehow with Gerry Ford. Whereupon my wife Eleanor said, so did I vote for him.

We went around that table — this is hard to believe — all five of my kids voted for him. So they get seven votes out of the McGovern family for President Ford and Senator Dole, my long-time Republican friend.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/george-mcgovern-voted-ford-kathryn-jean-lopez/
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 01:38:02 PM »

Before 2010, people who served in congress had this weird family like bond. Look at how Biden gushes for his fellow senators. Makes sense that McGovern would feel some kinship with Ford and Dole

That said.... its still batsh**t crazy. Carter winning gave more oppurntities to pass measures close to McGovern's dreams

People act like McGovern was some wild eyed leftist/communist but he was just your standard New Deal Democrat who believed in bipartisanship.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies