Describe a McGovern-Reagan Voter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:45:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe a McGovern-Reagan Voter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a McGovern-Reagan Voter  (Read 2620 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2021, 05:08:03 PM »

I say, more upper class, educated person who grew older and supported Reagan’s fiscal policies.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 12:37:06 AM »

A socially conservative Irish-American Democrat in Massachusetts. Remember that Massachusetts-McGovern's only state-voted for Reagan twice. 1984 was the last time that Massachusetts has voted Republican at the presidential level. Reagan ran well ahead of Nixon in working class and middle class precincts of Boston and its suburbs, which aided him in winning the state.
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 05:36:19 AM »

Boomers
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 10:49:55 AM »

Somebody who opposed busing and became a conservative because of that in Massachusetts

Also upper class/yuppies as well.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 11:37:45 AM »

Lots of them in my state.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 12:58:36 PM »

SD and MA voters.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 01:19:40 PM »

An upper middle class person who was in college in 1972 and was perhaps involved in activism, but by the 80s had a well-paying job in something like finance and had a young family.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 09:26:29 PM »

Someone like Eugene McCarthy
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 11:43:43 PM »

An upper middle class person who was in college in 1972 and was perhaps involved in activism, but by the 80s had a well-paying job in something like finance and had a young family.

Basically the characters in The Big Chill
ForeignerFloridaMan
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 09:58:32 PM »

A young 21 years old leftist idealist anti war that went to college in 1972 who then graduated and became a well off buisness man with a wife and kids.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 10:52:01 PM »

Probably many Yuppies
Joe McCarthy Was Right
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 11:37:28 PM »

I know Reagan in 1984 outperformed Nixon in Michigan. That might have actually been because Gerald Ford prevented it from trending too Democratic in 1976, and the suburban growth that was happening was a positive demographic change for the GOP at the time.

Reagan was helped in Massachusetts by some white ethnic groups assimilating and no longer identifying with the Democratic party.

Reagan did better than Nixon in heavily Mormon Utah and Idaho because his social conservative side seemed more authentic.

Carter and Mondale notably alienated voters in the western United States over their water policies.

Other than that, I don't think there were a ton of McGovern-Reagan voters. Reagan seems to have mostly just won back Nixon voters.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 12:04:22 AM »

Reagan ran on abolishing Selective Service in 1980, so perhaps a single-issue anti-draft voter.
HenryWallaceVP

Political Matrix
E: -7.48, S: -5.91

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 04:56:14 PM »

Hippy turned yuppie.
DS0816
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 03:21:09 PM »

Bill and Hillary Clinton.
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 03:52:38 PM »

There probably weren't that many outside of SD and MA. Nixon got 36% of the DEM vore in 1972 and McGovern got only 29 million votes, Mondale 37 million.
laddicus finch

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2021, 04:59:21 PM »

A lot of boomers who were left-wing/anti-draft/hippies in the 60s and early 70s, but turned conservative during the Carter/Reagan presidency.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 09:53:15 PM »

Name a McGovern-Ford voter:  McGovern.
dkxdjy
qkxwsm
Rookie
United States
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 03:22:42 PM »

Just based on the numbers, there look to have been quite a few in the parts of California north of Sacramento.
Socani
Rookie
Mexico
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 07:44:06 PM »

A Massachussets Moderate guy
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 08:01:38 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2021, 08:06:33 PM by Mondale »

Name a McGovern-Ford voter:  McGovern.

Not only did McGovern vote for Ford....his whole family voted for Ford.

MCGOVERN: I have to tell you something I’ve never said before publicly. I voted for him in 1976.

KING: What?

MCGOVERN: When he — yes, I did. And at Thanksgiving dinner that year, I never said anything about this to Eleanor or to her five children. But I told them at Thanksgiving time I had voted for President Ford, even though he lost. And I told them why, because I thought he had come in at a difficult time. I didn’t know President Carter very well then. And I just felt more comfortable somehow with Gerry Ford. Whereupon my wife Eleanor said, so did I vote for him.

We went around that table — this is hard to believe — all five of my kids voted for him. So they get seven votes out of the McGovern family for President Ford and Senator Dole, my long-time Republican friend.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/george-mcgovern-voted-ford-kathryn-jean-lopez/
Motorcity

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2021, 09:17:03 PM »

Name a McGovern-Ford voter:  McGovern.

Not only did McGovern vote for Ford....his whole family voted for Ford.

MCGOVERN: I have to tell you something I’ve never said before publicly. I voted for him in 1976.

KING: What?

MCGOVERN: When he — yes, I did. And at Thanksgiving dinner that year, I never said anything about this to Eleanor or to her five children. But I told them at Thanksgiving time I had voted for President Ford, even though he lost. And I told them why, because I thought he had come in at a difficult time. I didn’t know President Carter very well then. And I just felt more comfortable somehow with Gerry Ford. Whereupon my wife Eleanor said, so did I vote for him.

We went around that table — this is hard to believe — all five of my kids voted for him. So they get seven votes out of the McGovern family for President Ford and Senator Dole, my long-time Republican friend.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/george-mcgovern-voted-ford-kathryn-jean-lopez/
Before 2010, people who served in congress had this weird family like bond. Look at how Biden gushes for his fellow senators. Makes sense that McGovern would feel some kinship with Ford and Dole

That said.... its still batsh**t crazy. Carter winning gave more oppurntities to pass measures close to McGovern's dreams
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2021, 01:38:02 PM »

Before 2010, people who served in congress had this weird family like bond. Look at how Biden gushes for his fellow senators. Makes sense that McGovern would feel some kinship with Ford and Dole

That said.... its still batsh**t crazy. Carter winning gave more oppurntities to pass measures close to McGovern's dreams

People act like McGovern was some wild eyed leftist/communist but he was just your standard New Deal Democrat who believed in bipartisanship.
Motorcity

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2021, 02:33:34 PM »

People act like McGovern was some wild eyed leftist/communist but he was just your standard New Deal Democrat who believed in bipartisanship.
Right, he was a standard New Deal Democrat. But even as early as 1976 you could see the stains of conservatism taking over the GOP. Had Ford been re-elected, he would have pushed for some tax cuts and cuts to social programs. Not Reagan levels, but still opposite the direction McGovern wanted

So still batsh**t crazy
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2021, 08:18:14 PM »

McGovern actually had a time machine and knew 1976 was a poisoned chalice.

It’s also why he knew his fight for UBI wasn’t going to completely die out, he knew introducing it would allow for later national discussions on it.

Oh and he knew younger college students were fertile Democrats, so he pandered to them to show his party the future. Heck, the entire 1972 coalitions are a lot closer to 2020 than any other election in that period because of that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies