India 2021 assembly elections - TN, Kerala, WB, Assam, and perhaps J&K
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 04:58:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  India 2021 assembly elections - TN, Kerala, WB, Assam, and perhaps J&K
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 36
Author Topic: India 2021 assembly elections - TN, Kerala, WB, Assam, and perhaps J&K  (Read 33548 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: March 31, 2021, 03:34:10 PM »

In TN, Thanthi TV constituency poll dump of 50 seats of the day

DMK+ 19, AIADMK+ 16, too close to call  15

Most of the seats AIADMK+ are ahead are by very narrow margins and really should be considered too close to call

Cumulatively with 150 seats polled it is

DMK+ 95, AIADMK+ 33, too close to call 22

Overall the trend is similar.  Vote share gap between the two blocs are running at around 5% but the seat gap is quite large given the 5% and mostly headed to something like 170 to 60 seat lead by DMK+ bloc which would make it a clone of 2006 election where the DMK+ bloc won by a similar vote share and seat margin.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #276 on: April 01, 2021, 02:06:21 PM »

Assam phase 2 over. 

Out of the 39 seats that voted in 2016 it was

BJP      22
AGP       2
BPF       4
INC       6
AIUDF   5

The pro-BJP ground reports claim that NDA won 25-27 of the 39 seats.  If true then its game over for UPA since it is in this phase that UPA is suppose to make significant gains if it is to win.  As it is I find these pro-BJP claims hard to believe.  I think UPA will flip at least 4 seats from 2016 and keep most of the 2016 BPF seats for a net gain of at least 7 seats.

Turnout lower than 2016 but most likely after the final numbers comes in it will be only slightly below 2016 turnout

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #277 on: April 01, 2021, 02:19:24 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2021, 05:57:54 AM by jaichind »

Phase 2 of WB voting is over

All eyes are in Nandigram where its AITC CM Mamata Banerjee vs former Mamata Banerjee protégé and now local kingpin AITC turned BJP MLA Suvendu Adhikari vs CPM's Minakshi Mukherjee (rising CPM youth activist superstar).  Pro-BJP and pro-AITC ground reports gives very conflicting information on how that race is going.

pro-BJP sources claim that BJP swept at least 25 out of 30 seats.

In 2016 these 30 seats went: AITC 21 Left Front-INC 8 BJP 1
In 2019 these 30 seats went: AITC 18 BJP 12

Turnout lower than 2016 but once final turnout number comes in I suspect it will be only slightly lower than 2016.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #278 on: April 01, 2021, 02:21:25 PM »

In TN, Thanthi TV constituency poll day 4 dump of 50 seats of the day

DMK+ 11, AIADMK+ 6, too close to call  33

Cumulatively with 20 seats polled it is

DMK+ 106, AIADMK+ 39, too close to call 55

If you go with this poll DMK+ is en route to around 150-160 seat win although usually the too close to call should really mostly go to the winning front in which case it would be more like 165-175 seat win for DMK+.
eos
« Reply #279 on: April 01, 2021, 04:08:22 PM »

Adityanath seems to be very popular to the core BJP votes and are being independently asked by BJP candidates all over the country to campaign for them.  He seems only second to Modi inside the BJP as a campaign crowd draw.  I would have thought that Adityanath's influence  would be limited to the Cow belt but BJP candidates in places like Telangana and WB are also asking him to campaign.    I still think his appeal would not be as wide as Modi.  

But if he does well in the 2022 UP assembly election and his popularity with the BJP base grows even more the 功高震主 or large accomplishments by a subordinate is a threat to the master effect will come into play and create conflict between him and Modi-Shah.

Surprising. I can scarcely believe he would be acceptable to BJP voters in a metro like Delhi.

I think part of his appeal is that he is a maverick.  Yogi Adityanath and his mentor Mahant Avaidyanath were more from the HMS (Hindu Mahasabha) and only joined up with BJP in the late 1980s during the Ayodhya movement.  Even in the BJP there are plenty of cases where Yogi Adityanath undermined the election campaigns of rival BJP factions.  I think this independent, tell it like it is,  attitude has a lot of appeal to the core BJP voter.   Him being a sādhu also helps too.  Part of Modi's appeal is that he is not married and pretty much live like a sādhu which makes it easy for people to look past the policy mistakes he has made on the premise that: Well, his motivations are pure even if the results are not always good.

Would Yogi's perceived "frankness" have anything to do with his rhetoric against India's Muslim minority? I really struggle to see the appeal otherwise. Indeed, a lot of BJP voters in metros like to say they support BJP because it is "pro-development" and good for the economy. I heard the same for Modi running up to the 2014 elections. I guess there might be a "shy BJP" voter effect, where they claim their reasons for supporting BJP is economic, rather than an identification with Hindu Indian nationalism.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #280 on: April 02, 2021, 10:24:06 AM »
« Edited: April 02, 2021, 10:27:33 AM by jaichind »

Tamulpur’s BPF candidate withdrew his candidature in the presence of Hiamnta Biswa Sarma. He will support the UPPL candidate. Basumatary was missing since the early morning.

https://twitter.com/atanubhuyan/status/1377280450910035971

After BPF candidate Basumatary quits BPF to join BJP, he called on voters to not vote for him and vote for UPPL.  Top BPF leader Hagrama Mohilary in a rally called on the voters of Tamulpur to vote BPF symbol (which is Basumatary of course).  

So now we have:
1) Candidate: do not vote for me
2) Party: Candidate is a traior, but vote for the traitor

The idea here is if Basumatary wins on the BPF symbol he is still bound by the BPF whip and will be disqualified if he does not vote with BPF on key votes.  And if he is disqualified there will be a by-election where BPF can then put in a loyal candidate.

Whole thing is bizarre.  It seems to me Basumatary  is much better off trying to win and if he wins then defect to BJP which would disqualify him but then BJP can then nominate him in the by-election. 
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #281 on: April 02, 2021, 11:46:36 AM »

Final WB phase 2 turnout.  Slight drop from 2016.

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #282 on: April 02, 2021, 02:15:27 PM »

Final turnout in Assam phase 2.  Small turnout fall when compared to 2016.

The places where turnout rose are the Lower Assam Muslim areas, places where turnout fell are in tribal areas and areas closer to Upper Assam.  All things equal these turnout patterns are not favorable to BJP.

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #283 on: April 02, 2021, 02:18:32 PM »

Would Yogi's perceived "frankness" have anything to do with his rhetoric against India's Muslim minority? I really struggle to see the appeal otherwise. Indeed, a lot of BJP voters in metros like to say they support BJP because it is "pro-development" and good for the economy. I heard the same for Modi running up to the 2014 elections. I guess there might be a "shy BJP" voter effect, where they claim their reasons for supporting BJP is economic, rather than an identification with Hindu Indian nationalism.

I would say he does not hold back on his Hindu nationalism message.  His style has direct appeal to core BJP voters that does not consume English language media.  Yogi does not appeal to English language media based BJP voters who would prefer a Vajpayee.  The core policies will not be that different but the likes of Vajpayee can do them in a way that looks gentlemanlike.  With Yogi you do not get a gentlemen but you get a image of someone that gets things done and tells like like it is.  That is his brand and image.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #284 on: April 02, 2021, 02:28:29 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2021, 04:22:24 PM by jaichind »

Thanthi TV done with their constituency by constituency poll in TN

The finally tally is

Seats  
DMK+             124      
AIADMK+          52      
Too close to call 58

On the premise that in a defeat of the ruling bloc the tossups will lean opposition this poll seems to imply something like 165 seat victory for DMK+ which would be a replication of 2006 when DMK+ defeated AIADMK+ by around 4% of the vote.

Best CM poll has

DMK Stalin                   46
AIADMK EPS                 40
MNM Kamal Haasan        5
NTK Seeman                  4   (Tamil Nationalist)
AMMK Dhinakaran          4  

Seems to imply a 6% vote gap between DMK+ and AIADMK+
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #285 on: April 02, 2021, 02:39:20 PM »

TN Tirupporur's VCK candidate SS Balaji on the campaign trail

Note the campaign sign has VCK party symbol and a picture of SS Balaji on the right and pictures of DMK leader Stalin and VCK leader Thirumavalavan on the left.  Basically he is looking for voters to vote for him or his party symbol and for pro-DMK voters to vote for him to install ally DMK leader Stalin to be CM.  Given the partisan makeup of the seat and 2016 results he is likely to win.  Even though AIADMK won this seat narrowly in 2016, a 2019 by-election saw DMK win here.  DMK them handed this seat over to VCK as a part of VCK joining the DMK+ alliance.
eos
« Reply #286 on: April 02, 2021, 03:10:23 PM »

I would say he does not hold back on his Hindu nationalism message.  His style has direct appeal to core BJP voters that does not consume English language media.  Yogi does not appeal to English language media based BJP voters who would prefer a Vajpayee.  The core policies will not be that different but the likes of Vajpayee can do them in a way that looks gentlemanlike.  With Yogi you do not get a gentlemen but you get a image of someone that gets things done and tells like like it is.  That is his brand and image.

Is Yogo competent too? I was surprised to see he has been a MP since 1998; I had not heard of him before 2017. Which potential successor poses a greater threat to the UPA, Yogi or Amit Shah?
eos
« Reply #287 on: April 02, 2021, 03:20:53 PM »

Tamulpur’s BPF candidate withdrew his candidature in the presence of Hiamnta Biswa Sarma. He will support the UPPL candidate. Basumatary was missing since the early morning.

After BPF candidate Basumatary quits BPF to join BJP, he called on voters to not vote for him and vote for UPPL.  Top BPF leader Hagrama Mohilary in a rally called on the voters of Tamulpur to vote BPF symbol (which is Basumatary of course).  

So now we have:

The idea here is if Basumatary wins on the BPF symbol he is still bound by the BPF whip and will be disqualified if he does not vote with BPF on key votes.  And if he is disqualified there will be a by-election where BPF can then put in a loyal candidate.

Whole thing is bizarre.  It seems to me Basumatary  is much better off trying to win and if he wins then defect to BJP which would disqualify him but then BJP can then nominate him in the by-election. 

There might be chances of BFP winning a second election anyway. As the BFP candidate, I guess he can do his best to sabotage their chances from within.

I think BJP would have preferred he withdraw his nomination, but it was too late for that.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #288 on: April 02, 2021, 03:37:07 PM »

I would say he does not hold back on his Hindu nationalism message.  His style has direct appeal to core BJP voters that does not consume English language media.  Yogi does not appeal to English language media based BJP voters who would prefer a Vajpayee.  The core policies will not be that different but the likes of Vajpayee can do them in a way that looks gentlemanlike.  With Yogi you do not get a gentlemen but you get a image of someone that gets things done and tells like like it is.  That is his brand and image.

Is Yogo competent too? I was surprised to see he has been a MP since 1998; I had not heard of him before 2017. Which potential successor poses a greater threat to the UPA, Yogi or Amit Shah?

Yogi does not do that much administration.  He pretty much handed running UP over to the bureaucrats.  The typical BJP MP and MLA in UP does not have much say in running of the government.  They might be resentful but Yogi is popular with the BJP base so they cannot do much about it.

This story from a few month ago is quite instructive

https://thewire.in/politics/modis-a-k-sharma-bjp-uttar-pradesh-adityanaths-cabinet   

"Modi's Trusted Aide A.K. Sharma Joins BJP in UP, May Become a Minister in Adityanath's Cabinet"

It is about one AK Sharma who was a former IAS officer from Gujarat and have very long ties with Modi when Modi was CM in Gujarat.   Now he has been shifted to UP to join the UP BJP and help Yogi deal with the administrative side of running UP.

Yogi has one job: PR.

While a pure technocratic government might get Yogi in trouble with local BJP factions all looking for their share of the loot, what is good about it is the caste related to the local BJP MLA do not run amuck with abuse of power and work to limit anti-incumbency.  With Yogi's positive image and a SP BSP and INC most likely split in 2022 UP assembly elections the BJP looks set to return to power although most likely with a reduced majority.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #289 on: April 02, 2021, 03:41:32 PM »

So now we have:

There might be chances of BFP winning a second election anyway. As the BFP candidate, I guess he can do his best to sabotage their chances from within.

I think BJP would have preferred he withdraw his nomination, but it was too late for that.

This entire episode is does not make sense.  The BJP must figure BPF had a good chance of winning ergo they felt the need to bribe Basumatary to join before the elections.  But if Basumatary thinks he could win he should hold out for a bigger bribe after the elections.  The only explanation is that the BJP thinks Basumatary is likely to win but Basumatary has the opposite assessment.   The only alternative is Basumatary is not likely to win by the BJP want to bribe him to defect before the elections to shift marginal Bodo voters in the rest of Bodoland to vote NDA seeing that BPF is falling apart since their own candidate defected before the election. 

It would be hilarious if Basumatary wins by a landslide after campaigning against himself.  The look on his face on counting day would be funny to behold.  He would in theory have to office as an official BPF MLA.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #290 on: April 03, 2021, 06:16:44 AM »

TN local media Malai Murasu poll

seats
DMK+                          151 
AIADMK+                       54
AMMK+                           1
MNM+                             1
NTK                                0
Too close to call              27

Similar to Thanthi TV but more pro-DMK
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #291 on: April 03, 2021, 06:25:03 AM »

Truecopy Think poll for Kerala has LDF well ahead

Seats     Votes
LDF         90          44.2%
UDF        49           38.2%
NDA          1          15.4%

Which is pretty much a replication of 2016.

So most Kerala polls are either a replication of 2016 LDF landslide or UDF making gains but falling short.  I still think UDF is more likely to win than not but in face of all these polls I guess now it is possible that LDF breaks the 40+ year pattern of no re-election in Kearala.  The last time (and the only time) this took place was in 1977 when proto-UDF returned to power defeating proto-LDF.  Other than 1977 no Kerala government have been re-elected since the first assembly election in Kerala in 1957
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #292 on: April 03, 2021, 11:34:49 AM »

Thanthi TV poll on Puducherry

NDA                 21
UPA                   3
Too close to call  6

This where I think the race is is.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #293 on: April 03, 2021, 12:34:31 PM »

WB BJP poster on UP BJP CM Yogi Adityanath campaign event in WB
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #294 on: April 03, 2021, 01:00:16 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2021, 01:24:47 PM by jaichind »

Edit: Seems like a fake poll

Democracy Network poll on TN has a shock AIADMK victory

AIADMK+    134
DMK+         100

What was decisive was Kongo Naadu went to AIADMK+ by a landslide.  Kongo Naadu is AIADMK CM EPS's base.  If true then AIADMK would have won the election on a Kongo Naadu vote for its favorite son

eos
« Reply #295 on: April 03, 2021, 01:14:37 PM »

Democracy Network is not the same as Democracy Times Network right? Democracy Network has no tweets earlier than March 23, and their first post is defending themselves against claims they are copying Democracy Network.
eos
« Reply #296 on: April 03, 2021, 01:17:52 PM »

So now we have:

This entire episode is does not make sense.  The BJP must figure BPF had a good chance of winning ergo they felt the need to bribe Basumatary to join before the elections.  But if Basumatary thinks he could win he should hold out for a bigger bribe after the elections.  The only explanation is that the BJP thinks Basumatary is likely to win but Basumatary has the opposite assessment.   The only alternative is Basumatary is not likely to win by the BJP want to bribe him to defect before the elections to shift marginal Bodo voters in the rest of Bodoland to vote NDA seeing that BPF is falling apart since their own candidate defected before the election. 

It would be hilarious if Basumatary wins by a landslide after campaigning against himself.  The look on his face on counting day would be funny to behold.  He would in theory have to office as an official BPF MLA.

I think its probably that NDA wants to collapse the BFP vote by making them think the party is going to fall apart due to defections.

In related news, Himanta Biswa Sarma has been banned from campaigning for 48 hours by the Election Commission after being reported for threatening the BFP chief with imprisonment.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #297 on: April 03, 2021, 01:23:01 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2021, 02:07:43 PM by jaichind »

Democracy Network is not the same as Democracy Times Network right? Democracy Network has no tweets earlier than March 23, and their first post is defending themselves against claims they are copying Democracy Network.

You are right !! It seems the poll is a fake.  I was wondering about how there could be a poll "that good" for AIADMK+
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #298 on: April 03, 2021, 01:24:16 PM »

I think its probably that NDA wants to collapse the BFP vote by making them think the party is going to fall apart due to defections.

In related news, Himanta Biswa Sarma has been banned from campaigning for 48 hours by the Election Commission after being reported for threatening the BFP chief with imprisonment.

That seems like the most likely scenario.  If so the Assam BJP shares my opinion that this election will be decided in Bodoland.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #299 on: April 03, 2021, 05:51:14 PM »

The pro-BJP media are going overdrive saying that the BJP swept the first two rounds of WB elections and that it is certain that AITC CM Mamata Banerjee lost her seat in Nandigram.  They also claim that now Mamata Banerjee is looking to contest in another seat in the 7th or 8th phase where it is not too late to register to contest.  Clearly this is not true and the AITC have denied this several times already.

I suspect the reason why the pro-BJP media is pushing this line is because they figured they already squeezed out all the anti-AITC Left Front-INC-ISF tactical votes.   What the BJP is now going after is the anti-ATIC but also anti-BJP Left Front-INC-ISF vote.  By pressing the narrative that the AITC is already beaten and beaten badly the BJP is hoping that this bloc of voters will now switch over to the BJP for bandwagon effect as well as to ensure that AITC is beaten as badly as possible so Left Front-INC-ISF emerge as the main alternative to the BJP post election.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies