Harris resigning from the Senate on Monday
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:30:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Harris resigning from the Senate on Monday
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Harris resigning from the Senate on Monday  (Read 3589 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2021, 10:50:03 AM »

No farewell speech, but as it's been noted, Harris is going to spend so much of the next two years in the Senate chamber that it barely makes sense to say goodbye.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 11:00:16 AM »

She really took her time.

I'm proud she represented me for 4 years in the senate, but Padilla is a worthy successor. And I'm more than excited that she'll be VP.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 11:09:09 AM »

She really took her time.

I'm proud she represented me for 4 years in the senate, but Padilla is a worthy successor. And I'm more than excited that she'll be VP.

You have received a recommendation from OC! Congratulations!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 12:13:54 PM »

You're not kidding Tongue

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 12:17:13 PM »

Monday doesn't seem meaningfully later than Biden's resignation just three days earlier in 2009. If anything, it was Biden who broke precedent in 2009 by resigning almost two weeks later than the previous latest.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 12:59:10 PM »

Monday doesn't seem meaningfully later than Biden's resignation just three days earlier in 2009. If anything, it was Biden who broke precedent in 2009 by resigning almost two weeks later than the previous latest.

I think Biden specifically waited so he could be sworn in for his seventh term, and give his farewell speech as the seven-term senator from Delaware.

I'm not sure why Harris waited in contrast - especially given there is to be no farewell speech. Maybe there were lingering concerns she might be called back to vote on election-related matters?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 01:09:59 PM »

Dems in disarray!
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 01:14:37 PM »

I’m guessing this scandal will be the top story on FoxNews for the next week or so.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 01:19:50 PM »

I’m guessing this scandal will be the top story on FoxNews for the next week or so.

I thought they were still discussing Hillary's emails.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 01:38:01 PM »

I'm not sure why Harris waited in contrast - especially given there is to be no farewell speech. Maybe there were lingering concerns she might be called back to vote on election-related matters?
Yeah, I don't know why she waited so long. I get that making sure Congress certified the Electoral College was vital and she shouldn't have resigned before January 6th because of Trump's antics.

However, after the election was certified on the 7th, I thought that she would have announced her resignation soon after.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 01:57:27 PM »

So will Padilla be inaugurated with Ossoff and Warnock on the 20th?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 02:09:26 PM »

A couple of journalists have speculated that Harris is planing to swear the three in as one of her first acts as VP - possibly even making it part of the official inauguration day events.

It was all over Beltway twitter a few days ago. If I come across any sources in the next couple of days, I'll add them to this thread.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 02:16:25 PM »

Unconfirmed at this time, although given that the Senate's reconvening at 1pm on Wednesday is gonna directly conflict with Harris' already-announced participation in the post-inaugural address farewell to Pence, Pass in Review, wreath laying ceremony at Arlington, & virtual parade, I personally think (& am potentially backed up by the AP on this) that swearing all of them in might just end up being Pence's last official act as VP sometime on Tuesday afternoon if Raffensperger & Kemp act fast enough to certify earlier in the day.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 03:44:19 PM »

This will be history in the making. Who cares when she resigns, I mean really. She is the first female VP ever and it's just the beginning. A female will be President soon and while this may not be a big deal to some people, it certainly is to females.

Go Kamala!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 04:26:47 PM »

Kinda screwed Padilla over with seniority. He could have been sworn in before the entire 2020 intake, and instead he'll be tied for last with Ossoff and Warnock. Oh well. I guess those things don't really matter much anymore.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 04:48:55 PM »

Kinda screwed Padilla over with seniority. He could have been sworn in before the entire 2020 intake, and instead he'll be tied for last with Ossoff and Warnock. Oh well. I guess those things don't really matter much anymore.

He'll actually be ahead of Ossoff and Warnock since CA has a higher population than GA.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 03:24:44 AM »

Because of outgoing Senators often resigning early to give their replacements an edge in seniority, the Senate adopted a rule in 1980 that caused such added days of service to be ignored for purposes of determining seniority. I don't know if this will apply to a situation like Harris', but if it does then Padilla's start of service for purposes of Senate seniority would be January 20 regardless of when Harris resigned.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 12:08:45 PM »

Because of outgoing Senators often resigning early to give their replacements an edge in seniority, the Senate adopted a rule in 1980 that caused such added days of service to be ignored for purposes of determining seniority. I don't know if this will apply to a situation like Harris', but if it does then Padilla's start of service for purposes of Senate seniority would be January 20 regardless of when Harris resigned.

That rule would only apply in the case of a retiring Senator resigning from their seat after their successor was already elected so that they can be appointed ahead of when they would've otherwise taken office on Jan. 3rd in order to get a head start on seniority. Since Harris is resigning in the middle of her elected term, this is just a normal temporary vacancy &, as such, Padilla's seniority will simply activate upon the certification of his appointment.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 12:48:18 PM »

Kamala has officially resigned:

(CNN) Vice President-elect Kamala Harris has formally submitted her letter of resignation from the US Senate to California Gov. Gavin Newsom ahead of Inauguration Day.

Read the letter obtained by CNN:

January 18, 2021

Governor Gavin Newsom
1303 10th Street, Suite 1173
Sacramento, CA 95814

Dear Governor Newsom:

I hereby resign as Senator from the State of California, effective January 18th, 2021 at 12:00 p.m. EST. As I assume my duties as Vice President of the United States, I would like to thank the people of California for the honor of serving them in the U.S. Senate over the past four years.

Sincerely,

Kamala D. Harris
United States Senator

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/18/politics/harris-resignation-letter-senate/index.html
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 01:01:32 PM »

Yeah, I don't know why she waited so long. I get that making sure Congress certified the Electoral College was vital and she shouldn't have resigned before January 6th because of Trump's antics.

However, after the election was certified on the 7th, I thought that she would have announced her resignation soon after.
Perhaps she wanted to make sure she wasn't missing an impeachment trial vote.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2021, 03:31:27 PM »

Governor Newsom officially submitted Padilla's appointment:

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2021, 03:37:34 PM »

A great silver lining to her becoming VP.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2021, 12:33:39 AM »

Governor Newsom officially submitted Padilla's appointment:

So, will Padilla be sworn in tomorrow (1/19)? If I am not mistaken, the Senate will be in session tomorrow and Grassley can administer the oath of office if Pence doesn't want to go to the Capitol.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2021, 12:41:30 AM »

No farewell speech, but as it's been noted, Harris is going to spend so much of the next two years in the Senate chamber that it barely makes sense to say goodbye.
She's also only been there less than a full term. Not everyone needs to give a farewell speech.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2021, 12:44:37 AM »

So, will Padilla be sworn in tomorrow (1/19)? If I am not mistaken, the Senate will be in session tomorrow and Grassley can administer the oath of office if Pence doesn't want to go to the Capitol.

If he's in town, he can be.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies