Opinion of atheists who call evangelicals "fake Christians"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:39:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of atheists who call evangelicals "fake Christians"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Opinion of atheists who call evangelicals "fake Christians"  (Read 775 times)
wimp
themiddleman
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2021, 11:51:21 AM »

Opinion of atheists who do not believe in the Bible themselves but call evangelicals "fake Christians" because they voted for Trump or are against welfare or immigration etc.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 12:06:46 PM »

HP for being completely clueless and not understanding the fundamental difference between church-as-religious-transmission and church-as-power-structure. Some New Atheists like my former self seem to think that saying that Jesus was a hippie enough times will make the Pope have a complete breakdown and realize that his life is a lie, when that just isn't the point.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 12:26:28 PM »

Opinion of atheists who consider conservative evangelicals as representative of "real Christianity"?

Which one is worse?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 01:17:23 PM »

HP, because it invariably comes with an implication that Christianity is somehow not responsible for the insanity it promotes amongst its followers.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 02:35:20 PM »

Opinion of atheists who consider conservative evangelicals as representative of "real Christianity"?

Which one is worse?
Your atheists are factually accurate so...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 02:47:55 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2021, 02:52:33 PM by emotional hardcore »

Which one is worse?

Both are absurd No True Scotsmans, although your example is more annoying. It is pretty amusing though to see both New Atheists and fundamentalists be in total agreement that for example a church with a gay pastor is not a "true" Christian church.

The most annoying argument I've seen of these is probably atheists who unironically try to argue that Westboro Baptist Church is the most "pure" example of Christianity instead of that it's a deranged cult that has zero support from any other Christian organization no matter how fringe or fundamentalist and they themselves also consider all other Christians to be hellbound herectics.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 03:05:17 PM »

The most annoying argument I've seen of these is probably atheists who unironically try to argue that Westboro Baptist Church is the most "pure" example of Christianity instead of that it's a deranged cult that has zero support from any other Christian organization no matter how fringe or fundamentalist and they themselves also consider all other Christians to be hellbound herectics.

This reminds me of someone I once knew--not a New Atheist but definitely very pointedly secular and very pointedly socially liberal--who remarked that the ultimate legacy of Western Christianity would be the then-current (early 2010s) movement against same-sex marriage. As embarrassing as that lost cause has turned out to be for most of the people who were invested in it, and as psychologically devastating it was for many of us Ell Gee Bee Tees at the time, it's not even the worst legacy of Western Christianity's two-thousand-year history, much less the most consequential.
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 03:07:34 PM »

HP for their ignorance. Most mainstream Evangelicals adhere to the Nicene Creed which imo is a good litmus test.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 06:11:15 PM »

"Lack of popular support" is the only criteria that delineates the difference between cults and religions.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 08:12:39 PM »

FF because the only real Christian Church is the Roman Catholic Church Tongue /s
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 05:33:59 AM »

TP: Tedious People
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 09:51:19 AM »

Arrogant,  hubristic, and cruel.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 01:45:04 PM »

Silly people who are not nearly as clever as they like to imagine they are.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2021, 09:24:17 PM »

FF because the only real Christian Church is the Roman Catholic Church Tongue /s
This minus the /s 😤
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 11:15:21 AM »
« Edited: April 02, 2021, 04:32:18 PM by Kingpoleon »

If you really want to get annoyed, go watch Richard Dawkins talk about the WBC on Joe Rogan. It is the single worst video on YouTube.

And in case you’ve forgotten, ISIS and Bieber both have videos on YouTube.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 12:59:49 PM »

What about culturally Catholic, physically Calvinist atheists?
The Puppeteer
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 08:39:07 PM »

I feel that is a terrible way to try and get people to join your side. The old saying that "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" exists for a reason.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2021, 05:24:48 AM »

Which one is worse?

Both are absurd No True Scotsmans, although your example is more annoying. It is pretty amusing though to see both New Atheists and fundamentalists be in total agreement that for example a church with a gay pastor is not a "true" Christian church.

So atheists should not say evangelicals are fake Christians, and atheists should not say that evangelicals are real Christians. Got it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2021, 11:03:21 AM »

Which one is worse?

So atheists should not say evangelicals are fake Christians, and atheists should not say that evangelicals are real Christians. Got it.
The latter is more saying that only evangelicals are real Christians.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2021, 03:07:54 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2021, 03:17:48 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

Which one is worse?

The latter is more saying that only evangelicals are real Christians.

Just seems weird for Christians ITT to apparently want atheists to commit themselves to the nominalist position that Christianity has no essential teaching on moral issues like abortion, the death penalty or immigration.

Because if it is wrong to call evangelicals less true to the Christian message because they support the death penalty, and it is wrong to call evangelicals more true to Biblical teaching by virtue of a fundamentalist/literalist opposition to gay marriage (e.g.), then it seems to me that one is committing oneself to the position that Jesus would be okay with whatever, since positions on these issues have no bearing on your fidelity to what he taught. And that seems plainly untrue to me.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2021, 03:48:51 PM »

Just seems weird for Christians ITT to apparently want atheists to commit themselves to the nominalist position that Christianity has no essential teaching on moral issues like abortion, the death penalty or immigration.

Because if it is wrong to call evangelicals less true to the Christian message because they support the death penalty, and it is wrong to call evangelicals more true to Biblical teaching by virtue of a fundamentalist/literalist opposition to gay marriage (e.g.), then it seems to me that one is committing oneself to the position that Jesus would be okay with whatever, since positions on these issues have no bearing on your fidelity to what he taught. And that seems plainly untrue to me.
Christianity is a universal religion, not a cultural religion. As such, the idea that Christianity has an “inherent” position to issues which are cultural and subjective misunderstands Christianity. The lack of a clear and absolute consensus prevents me from suggesting there is such a thing. Now I can say some ideas are “better” than others - I may be wrong, though, and as such should not teach that my views are intrinsic to Christianity.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies