LGBTQ Christians (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 08:17:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  LGBTQ Christians (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGBTQ Christians  (Read 1824 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: January 16, 2021, 09:52:06 AM »

What is everyone’s opinions on them as an ideaHuh I am also referring to organizations that support them(in contrast to the fire and brimstone pastors) like that church Julien Baker(a gay singer who found out she liked girls as a teen) goes to in Nashville.

I think they exist as more than an idea Smiley

I'm strongly supportive of affirming and self affirming LGBTQ Christians. Those who are non affirming but use identifying as LGBTQ as a means to access LGBTQ spaces to flag wave but promote 'traditional sexual ethics' (heteronormativity) I pity but are damaging to the community.

Queer spirituality is a powerful thing that organised religion struggles to understand or seeks to subvert or gaslight. Some faiths and churches uplift it and affirm it. Others not so much, even if it's clearly in their aesthetic.

Catholicism is gay as f-ck.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 12:36:52 PM »

Queer spirituality is a powerful thing that organised religion struggles to understand or seeks to subvert or gaslight. Some faiths and churches uplift it and affirm it. Others not so much, even if it's clearly in their aesthetic.

Anyone who's seen any of my posts in this forum will know that my path is about as un-Christian as it comes in many ways, but I don't think that power that you speak of and that I've become in touch with through my practice is exclusive to any one faith. I feel much more in touch with my identity through my faith, and I would hope and imagine that the Greco-Roman galli, the Sumerian gala, or the gender-bending shamans of numerous Siberian tribes felt the same. I don't see how Christianity inherently lacks any of the spiritual or ritual intensity that can evoke that power, as long as there is a space made for it.

That was my point; if space is made for it. And queer spirituality is caged if it is subject to restrictions placed on it by a heteronormative sexual and relationship ethic.

I'm not in anyway special but I do think my love of men extending to the sexual and my love of women devoid of the sexual is powerful and it's my grounding; I've not seen the world without it. The fact that gay boys, separated by geography and even generations and thinking they are the only person like that in their world find and are drawn to the same icons; people, ideaa, aesthetics etc as others like them is a 'spirituality' in itself. There's the ability to find yourself without guidance. The queer community may lack the historic hierarchy, the 'storytellers' of our lives and gifters of legacies, the givers that the non-queer community have. Yet we seem to find it anyway in many different ways.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 03:54:44 AM »

Should be called to repentance with love and charity, same as the rest of us.

Repentance from what, specifically?

In this case, the issue at hand is acting on sinful sexual inclinations. Christians should be clear and uncompromising in rejecting the validity of same-sex relationships, but also avoid the pitfall of singling it out as being especially worse than other forms of sexual sin that tempt heterosexual individuals or of hating those who are tempted to it. We fool ourselves if we think that we are better than others who are also struggling.

What defines validity? Is it the type if relationship in relation to opposite sex couples or the substance of it? On what basis do you know and measure that my nine year marriage to my husband is invalid but a non substantive, pressured, perhaps even loveless opposite sex marriage is valid?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies