Why did Eastern Kentucky contain both Bush-Kerry and Gore-Bush counties?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:35:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why did Eastern Kentucky contain both Bush-Kerry and Gore-Bush counties?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Eastern Kentucky contain both Bush-Kerry and Gore-Bush counties?  (Read 392 times)
E-Dawg
Guy
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2021, 05:23:49 PM »
« edited: January 15, 2021, 05:48:43 PM by Guy »

When the county maps for 2000 and 2004 are compared for Kentucky, it can be seen that Southeastern Kentucky contains about 3 Gore-Bush counties. This makes sense to me as Kerry performed worse than Gore in most rural areas. What confuses me are the 5 or so Bush-Kerry counties north of this area. What factors would have caused these rural, and now hard GOP areas to flip to Kerry? Why did this scattering of counties vote this way while the 3 or so Gore-Bush counties voted the exact opposite way?
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 05:34:45 PM »

I've heard some suggest that ancestral isolationist sentiment in broader Appalachia galvanized an anti-war vote among those who were otherwise heavily trending R at this point in time (looking at one of these counties, Menifee, for which Bush was the first victorious R since Hoover, but both Kerry and Obama subsequently won before the Dems collapsed thereafter, I'd wager it was at least the case there). I can't say that I know enough about the individual Bush-Kerry counties to hint at any other possible motivations.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies