DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:18:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 41
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 39629 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: April 20, 2021, 10:58:41 AM »

Even if DC Statehood passed no new Senators are gonna be seated, SCOTUS HAS JUDICIARY REVIEW OVER LAWS UNLESS CONGRESS LIMITS OR EXPAND ITS APPELLATE JURISDICTION

ACB AND KAVANAUGH ARE GONNA HAVE THE FINAL DAY OVER DC Statehood and they might strike it down until 2023 should Ds get 53 Seats and Expand Crt to 11 not 13 judges, no way PR becomes a state in a polarized environment, and it's already a Commonwealth

So all this celebration is premature

2009 the Ds had the votes to expand Crt and DC Statehood but Biden was Veep and Against Filibuster reform
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #626 on: April 20, 2021, 12:27:16 PM »

Hey Democrats!

If you're so angry about DC not getting representation, why don't just let them merge to Maryland? Instead of giving 2 senators and a rep to a single city?

...Maybe because you deep down know it's a blatant powergrab?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #627 on: April 20, 2021, 12:33:48 PM »

Hey Democrats!

If you're so angry about DC not getting representation, why don't just let them merge to Maryland? Instead of giving 2 senators and a rep to a single city?

What do you mean "let them merge into Maryland"?  
Who in DC is asking to be merged into Maryland?  
Or do you mean force them to merge into Maryland?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #628 on: April 20, 2021, 12:35:19 PM »

Hey Democrats!

Maryland doesn’t want that. Not sure why I’m responding to you but this is a fantasy strawman for that reason.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #629 on: April 20, 2021, 12:43:32 PM »

Hey Democrats!

Was it a "powergrab" to let Alaska to be its own state rather than merging into Washington? Or Hawaii to be its own state rather than merging into California?

Didn't think so.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #630 on: April 20, 2021, 01:26:51 PM »

Hey Democrats!

The Dakotas have asked me to remind you of the following:

MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #631 on: April 20, 2021, 01:32:34 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2021, 01:45:34 PM by MillennialModerate »

Hey Democrats!

Hey. Aren’t you supposed you supposed to GTFO for a year?

Maryland doesn’t want it. DC doesn’t want it. Period. The only reason why the Maryland suggestion is brought up by Republicans is because they are so desperate to avoid the same Senate seats Dems want. Half of the states in the Northern plains were made states to pad the Senate totals for the Republicans; and Hawaii and Alaska had to wait for each other to be states because everyone thought Alaska would be solid Dem and Hawaii would be solid GOP. Now this isn’t going to happen but if it does... it’s well deserved
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #632 on: April 20, 2021, 01:48:35 PM »

If DC Statehood is made a state, SCOTUS will put in injunction in and not allow no seating of Senators until the case is heard, and Kavanaugh will veto DC Statehood setting up the stage for Crt packing if the Ds get Trifecta and 53 Seats for an 11 judge SCOTUS., After 2022 Elections

SCOTUS will do this on any Progressive legislation except Toomey Manchin gun control bill, HR1 and George Floyd choke holds as well
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #633 on: April 20, 2021, 01:54:45 PM »

Hey Democrats!

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again,
Statehood has always been a political football since the founding of the country and anyone acting aghast that it’s once again being treated that way are just lacking basic history

The only way to end it being a political tool is to get rid of the senate as it is
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #634 on: April 20, 2021, 01:56:56 PM »

If DC Statehood is made a state, SCOTUS will put in injunction in and not allow no seating of Senators until the case is heard, and Kavanaugh will veto DC Statehood setting up the stage for Crt packing if the Ds get Trifecta and 53 Seats for an 11 judge SCOTUS., After 2022 Elections

SCOTUS will do this on any Progressive legislation except Toomey Manchin gun control bill, HR1 and George Floyd choke holds as well
That’s...not how any of this works.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #635 on: April 20, 2021, 02:03:48 PM »

Biden wouldn't be making this statement if it weren't a done deal.

Yes he would because he's trying to make it happen. You really think Manchin & Sinema have given Biden private assurances that they will vote to overrule the parliamentarian in the event she rules the filibuster applies to statehood?

I don't know what particular path they've settled on, but yes, I believe Manchin and Sinema have indicated to leadership that they will not derail this. This would be such an embarrassing disgrace to Biden and the rest of Democratic leadership to get this far and not get it done. If the votes weren't going to be there, they would have quietly dropped this months ago.

And how do we know they won't go back at the last second because attention whores?
MRS DONNA SHALALA
cuddlebuns
South Africa

« Reply #636 on: April 20, 2021, 04:05:54 PM »

Hey Democrats!

it hasnt been a year yet
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #637 on: April 21, 2021, 02:03:28 PM »

Still of the belief that if Manchin, Sinema, and other Senate Dem tries to kill this bill on the basis of "muh senate rules" their political careers will be dashed, dead, and destroyed.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #638 on: April 21, 2021, 02:08:47 PM »

Still of the belief that if Manchin, Sinema, and other Senate Dem tries to kill this bill on the basis of "muh senate rules" their political careers will be dashed, dead, and destroyed.

Manchin is very likely retiring in 2024 anyway and Sinema still thinks playing the "independent Democrat" by upholding out of time senate rules is doing her a favor at home in Arizona.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #639 on: April 21, 2021, 02:26:13 PM »

Manchin is very likely retiring in 2024 anyway and Sinema still thinks playing the "independent Democrat" by upholding out of time senate rules is doing her a favor at home in Arizona.

Manchin is open to it (DC statehood), and Sinema will absolutely be punished at home if she kills it in the senate
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #640 on: April 21, 2021, 02:33:32 PM »

You actually think Manchin is gonna retire and D's will have DC Statehood and WI and PA under their belt for a 53/47 Senate after 2022, NOT
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #641 on: April 21, 2021, 02:37:34 PM »

DC statehood is actually really good for Sinema and Manchin's schtick. Two more Dem Senators means one of them could actually break and vote with Republicans while still allowing the bill to pass. It gives them cover to actually vote like moderate heroes without actually jeopardizing the Democratic agenda. It's a win for everyone except Republicans, as all things should be.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #642 on: April 21, 2021, 02:41:11 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2021, 02:46:01 PM by CookieDamage »

I'm sure this has been asked before, but do y'all think Douglass would divide the new state into different counties and municipalities? Like would Georgetown be made into a new municipality with its own mayor and council? Who would be made governor until the next election, Bowser?

EDIT: I actually doubt any new counties would be made, but I wouldn't be all that surprised to see some outer neighborhoods be granted independent municipal status.
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #643 on: April 21, 2021, 02:52:58 PM »

I'm sure this has been asked before, but do y'all think Douglass would divide the new state into different counties and municipalities? Like would Georgetown be made into a new municipality with its own mayor and council? Who would be made governor until the next election, Bowser?

This is speculation, but I imagine that it would remain as one municipality where the city and state governments are one and the same, with just semantic changes (city council->state legislature, mayor->governor).  Municipal services are all already provided by the DC government, and there isn't really any major desire for any particular areas of the city to split off.

Muriel Bowser would certainly be the first governor, and I'm sure that she would run for reelection.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #644 on: April 21, 2021, 02:58:26 PM »

This is speculation, but I imagine that it would remain as one municipality where the city and state governments are one and the same, with just semantic changes (city council->state legislature, mayor->governor).  Municipal services are all already provided by the DC government, and there isn't really any major desire for any particular areas of the city to split off.

Muriel Bowser would certainly be the first governor, and I'm sure that she would run for reelection.

Wouldn't there need or be a strong desire for a separate mayor and council different from the state legislature and gov?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #645 on: April 21, 2021, 03:12:01 PM »

I believe the proposed structure of the Douglass Commonwealth legislature would be very similar to the DC city council. It would be unicameral and using the existing 8 wards as legislative districts.  The biggest change is that it would be a bit larger, electing two reps from each Ward instead of one, for a total size of 21 members (versus the current 13).  The Governor would be elected in basically the same way the Mayor is now.
rhg2052

Political Matrix

« Reply #646 on: April 21, 2021, 03:15:04 PM »

Wouldn't there need or be a strong desire for a separate mayor and council different from the state legislature and gov?

Not really, no. The point of statehood is 1) representation in Congress, and 2) self-governance free of congressional control. Once those are achieved through statehood, there's not really any need to split up what is currently a functioning municipal government into multiple new municipalities, or to have a redundant city government that covers the exact same area and population as the state government.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #647 on: April 21, 2021, 03:19:24 PM »

Not really, no. The point of statehood is 1) representation in Congress, and 2) self-governance free of congressional control. Once those are achieved through statehood, there's not really any need to split up what is currently a functioning municipal government into multiple new municipalities, or to have a redundant city government that covers the exact same area and population as the state government.

True, there really isn't a requirement to go beyond what is necessary in terms of state government composition.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #648 on: April 21, 2021, 03:20:02 PM »

When is the House vote scheduled? Tomorrow?

Also when can you expect to hear from the Parliamentarian re: the filibuster?
rhg2052

Political Matrix

« Reply #649 on: April 21, 2021, 03:36:49 PM »

When is the House vote scheduled? Tomorrow?

Also when can you expect to hear from the Parliamentarian re: the filibuster?

House vote tomorrow, not certain of the timing. For the Parliamentarian, I believe that that wouldn't happen until the bill makes it out of committee and starts being considered by the full Senate, but I'm not certain.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies