PA GOV 2022: Stick a fork in it
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:21:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA GOV 2022: Stick a fork in it
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 45
Author Topic: PA GOV 2022: Stick a fork in it  (Read 66521 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: May 17, 2022, 10:58:51 PM »

Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #376 on: May 17, 2022, 11:05:22 PM »

Reckon I'll be the rare Mastriano/Fetterman voter, but I'm open to persuasion on both.

This would probably be my ticket if I were in PA and McCormick holds out. I could hold my nose for Oz since his transgressions are pretty minor and seem less sincere.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #377 on: May 17, 2022, 11:09:55 PM »

Carrie DelRosso has kept a pretty consistent lead in the R Lt Gov race all night. Looks like she will be the winner.

What’s wild to me is how split it is. You have 5 candidates with 10% or more votes
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #378 on: May 17, 2022, 11:17:34 PM »

Reckon I'll be the rare Mastriano/Fetterman voter, but I'm open to persuasion on both.

I'm very curious to hear your reasoning, from my perspective they couldn't be more different.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #379 on: May 18, 2022, 12:35:58 AM »

Yeah, I could agree that the environment makes it that Shapiro is not favored but anyone who says he has no chance is just wrong.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #380 on: May 18, 2022, 01:40:06 AM »

Tilt D -> Lean D
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #381 on: May 18, 2022, 01:47:53 AM »

This forum is really going to delude itself with this race. I will enjoy your conventional wisdom punditry getting smashed to pieces in November.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #382 on: May 18, 2022, 01:51:17 AM »

This forum is really going to delude itself with this race. I will enjoy your conventional wisdom punditry getting smashed to pieces in November.

Why so? Do you think candidate candidate is totally irrelevant here and the red wave is just big enough to carry any far-right lunatic over the finishline in a state that Biden won?

PA already elected a Dem gov in D-midterm as recent as eight years ago.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #383 on: May 18, 2022, 01:56:51 AM »

Why so? Do you think candidate candidate is totally irrelevant here and the red wave is just big enough to carry any far-right lunatic over the finishline in a state that Biden won?

I'm not saying Mastriano will win. But this idea that he's a "far-right lunatic" as you describe him is entirely subjective, and candidate quality is being decided by partisan liberals such as yourself thinking you can neutrally analyze candidates. And this is why you guys keep getting elections so wrong.
Suburban Republican
omelott
Israel

« Reply #384 on: May 18, 2022, 04:43:29 AM »

I'm not saying Mastriano will win. But this idea that he's a "far-right lunatic" as you describe him is entirely subjective, and candidate quality is being decided by partisan liberals such as yourself thinking you can neutrally analyze candidates. And this is why you guys keep getting elections so wrong.
This guy is an outspoken election denialist, helped organize the January 6th protest against the counting of the electoral college, and there’s literal footage of him crossing the police barricades after they were breached by the protestors. Do you think if a Democrat wins this state in 2024, he’s going to be fine with sending Democratic electors to the convening of the electoral college? Do you think he’s not going to try to passing laws that make it harder for would-be democratic voters to vote? This guy is a real threat to the very threads that hold our democracy together.

I say that as someone who thinks that he’s favored to win this race by at least a couple of points. Yes, Democrats have used January 6 to motivate their voters and many have (wrongly) associated those who participated in the riot with the broader Republican electorate. But the republican establishment has refused to expel or at the very least condemn politicians like Mastriano, who have no hesitation to use election denialism to their political advantage. And the Republican electorate, much like the democratic one, still takes cues from their respective establishment. As a result, someone like Mastriano is now a perfectly acceptable, standard Republican candidate. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t a radical.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #385 on: May 18, 2022, 05:14:05 AM »

Mastriano winning was definitely the best Shapiro could've asked for. I'm still not ready to move the race out of toss-up though. If there ends up being a couple of high quality polls that show Shapiro up 4-5 consistently, then I could justify myself moving to Lean D.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #386 on: May 18, 2022, 05:32:04 AM »

Mastriano winning was definitely the best Shapiro could've asked for. I'm still not ready to move the race out of toss-up though. If there ends up being a couple of high quality polls that show Shapiro up 4-5 consistently, then I could justify myself moving to Lean D.

Mastriano is going to get virtually zero crossover support from Biden voters and will lose badly with establishment oriented Trump voters. He is going to be running far behind the Senate nominee for sure.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #387 on: May 18, 2022, 05:38:28 AM »

Quote from: Sir Mohamed   link=topic=424299.msg8610063#msg8610063 date=1652856677 uid=12847

This guy is an outspoken election denialist, helped organize the January 6th protest against the counting of the electoral college, and there’s literal footage of him crossing the police barricades after they were breached by the protestors. Do you think if a Democrat wins this state in 2024, he’s going to be fine with sending Democratic electors to the convening of the electoral college? Do you think he’s not going to try to passing laws that make it harder for would-be democratic voters to vote? This guy is a real threat to the very threads that hold our democracy together.

I say that as someone who thinks that he’s favored to win this race by at least a couple of points. Yes, Democrats have used January 6 to motivate their voters and many have (wrongly) associated those who participated in the riot with the broader Republican electorate. But the republican establishment has refused to expel or at the very least condemn politicians like Mastriano, who have no hesitation to use election denialism to their political advantage. And the Republican electorate, much like the democratic one, still takes cues from their respective establishment. As a result, someone like Mastriano is now a perfectly acceptable, standard Republican candidate. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t a radical.

The Republican establishment is pretty clearly against Mastriano and were clearly trying to stop him. And all reliable sources indicate that Mastriano loses badly to Shapiro and underperform other Republicans significantly.
Hollywood
« Reply #388 on: May 18, 2022, 06:05:21 AM »

He was seen crossing a police barricades while some rioters were entering the Capital Building so blah blah blah!  These people are brainwashed.  They imagine that everyone protesting the election process was part of this big conspiracy to violently overthrow the government, as opposed to a small groups of extremists instigating a riot by using the crowd.  Oh... And every Republican has to condemn the political issue as opposed to just criticizing violence, because those are inseparable to Democrats. And don't bring up any of those thousands of Antifa and BLM riots, or the violent left-wing occupation of US soil known as Chop.  But of course those are different.  

Democrats aren't capable of neutrality anymore.  Mastriano seems like a strong candidate that can make a compelling economic case to voters in PA, and I'm actually impressed with his qualifications given the comments on the forum.  They are literally running a Bernie Bro in PA that once chased a black dude with a shotgun for 'some reason', and they aren't concerned about running a left-wing lunatic?  
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #389 on: May 18, 2022, 06:13:48 AM »

Democrats aren't capable of neutrality anymore.  

Nobody* is capable of neutrality ever, especially in today's political environment.  And I'd argue that apathy is different from neutrality. 

Even on this very thread, we have posters who claim to be in-the-middle, yet their posts still clearly lean one way.  Hell, I'm probably one of them. 
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #390 on: May 18, 2022, 07:17:28 AM »

Man, this Mastriano guy seems like a real wack job.  Amusing.  Anyone here who is not an unpaid and undocumented MSNBC intern want to fill me in on if Shapiro would actually be good for anything more than serving as a roadblock for the Stop The Steal chud?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #391 on: May 18, 2022, 07:30:36 AM »

It's not subjective. He is. And it's not just partisan liberals. There are people from both sides of the aisle and all over PA who have said as such.
Suburban Republican
omelott
Israel

« Reply #392 on: May 18, 2022, 07:48:16 AM »

The Republican establishment is pretty clearly against Mastriano and were clearly trying to stop him. And all reliable sources indicate that Mastriano loses badly to Shapiro and underperform other Republicans significantly.

Simply saying that Mastriano wasn’t going to be a strong candidate in the general election obviously wasn’t enough to stop him. The establishment should have gone after him harder and called him out for who is: a threat to mutual toleration and someone who disrespects the electoral process, two things that are important to the continual existence of democracy in this country. But they failed to do that.

I’m sorry, but I have to disagree with you. It is very unlikely that Democrats win an open race like this in a national environment that favors republicans. Especially in this era of polarization where split ticket voting is uncommon. If the Republican establishment were truly against Mastriano at this point, then we would see multiple high profile Republican endorsements of Shapiro. But that hasn’t happened yet and likely never will. You would have to be living in a left wing media bubble to believe that Shapiro is somehow the favorite here.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #393 on: May 18, 2022, 07:51:33 AM »

Quote from: Sir Mohamed   link=topic=424299.msg8610063#msg8610063 date=1652856677 uid=12847

Simply saying that Mastriano wasn’t going to be a strong candidate in the general election obviously wasn’t enough to stop him. The establishment should have gone after him harder and called him out for who is: a threat to mutual toleration and someone who disrespects the electoral process, two things that are important to the continual existence of democracy in this country. But they failed to do that.

I’m sorry, but I have to disagree with you. It is very unlikely that Democrats win an open race like this in a national environment that favors republicans. Especially in this era of polarization where split ticket voting is uncommon. If the Republican establishment were truly against Mastriano at this point, then we would see multiple high profile Republican endorsements of Shapiro. But that hasn’t happened yet and likely never will. You would have to be living in a left wing media bubble to believe that Shapiro is somehow the favorite here.

And you clearly don't live in PA either to understand the dynamics.

This isn't complicated. This is a red year of course, but Shapiro is a very strong candidate while Mastriano is the worst possible, objectively, candidate the GOP could've nominated. Red year could sweep him in, but he was absolutely the GOPs worst shot here and to act as if Mastriano is somehow favored is is also living in your own bubble.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #394 on: May 18, 2022, 08:44:50 AM »

It's not subjective. He is. And it's not just partisan liberals. There are people from both sides of the aisle and all over PA who have said as such.

Yup, also I said Lean D, not Safe D, lol. Doesn't mean Shapiro is guaranteed to win, though he's objectively favored for the moment. If h flames out over the campaign, things can change. Could also get worse for Mastriano, if goes full MTG.

Shapiro at least has proven his electability in previous elections and PA is a battleground state. Sure, it's not NY, but also not IN or even TX.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #395 on: May 18, 2022, 08:49:18 AM »

Claiming the 2020 election was stolen, and that the state legislatures should've flipped it to Trump, objectively makes you a far-right lunatic.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #396 on: May 18, 2022, 08:51:23 AM »

I think the geographic polarization just shows why Mastriano ain't winning the general election. Even registered Republicans in the urban and suburban areas can't stand him.

Sort of but its important to note PA voters often just vote based on the county home on the ballot. I assume McSwain and White are from Chester/Delaware.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #397 on: May 18, 2022, 09:04:54 AM »

When are Atlas posters going to realize “election denialism” is a mainstream view?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #398 on: May 18, 2022, 12:43:29 PM »

When are Atlas posters going to realize “election denialism” is a mainstream view?
Amongst swing voters?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #399 on: May 18, 2022, 01:31:13 PM »

It's not that it's mainstream necessarily (although it is when you count all forms of election denialism), it's just not an important thing that most people actually care enough to vote based solely on, to the detriment of every Wikipedia entry and news article. Liberals have made this their obsession because it makes Republicans look bad, as simple as that. If we had a conservative media, we would have articles of Democrats that would highlight that they implied Russian collusion in 2016, or downplayed BLM riots, as their go-to passive aggressive smears. But we have a liberal media, clearly, and they won't ever give up talking about this or vastly overestimating how much people care about it.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies