Titanium Blue state that would probably become a swing state 50 years later...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:45:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Titanium Blue state that would probably become a swing state 50 years later...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Titanium Blue state that would probably become a swing state 50 years later...  (Read 2552 times)
iceman
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2021, 03:09:39 PM »

which solid blue state at present do you think would become a swing state in 50 years time?

when I say blue, it is a DEM state, not an atlas blue state.
EastwoodS

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 03:19:12 PM »

This may sound crazy but I think by 2070 most all states will have circulated through the “swing  state” cycle whether or not they are blue or red. With the exception of like DC or KY lol.
But in 2070 specifically maybe ILL, HI, NY? Maybe CA idk, it’ll probably be a traditional lean/ tilt D state.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 04:01:39 PM »

HI or RI, both on the backs of slow demographic realignment
iceman
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 04:16:45 PM »

I would probably think Illinois or Vermont.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 07:50:39 PM »

Delaware
EastwoodS

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 08:08:53 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2021, 11:12:36 PM by EastwoodS »

I think it’ll be a swing state long before that, in fact it’ll be a red state by then with the way it is behaving, right now. I’d say DE becomes really swingy in the 2030s.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 09:58:00 PM »

Literally impossible to predict, Imagine you told people in 1970 that Virginia and Georgia would be democrat and California would be the most Democratic state while the rest of the south was solidly republican.
EastwoodS

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 11:13:36 PM »

Literally impossible to predict, Imagine you told people in 1970 that Virginia and Georgia would be democrat and California would be the most Democratic state while the rest of the south was solidly republican.
Well... GA was solidly Democrat in 1970, so.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 11:55:49 PM »

The thing about Delaware's voting patterns is that it's a fairly white-collar state. If it flips to the Republicans it'll be because the Republicans become more #Tory than they are presently, which isn't impossible but is also the opposite of their current trajectory.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 01:11:02 AM »

Democratic Blue: Rhode Island

Atlas Blue: Utah
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 07:34:27 AM »

Fifty years is such a long time that basically any guess is worth any other.

Also, I am not sure the concept of swing state in the way we picture it now will still exist in 2070... certainly it didn't exist like that in 1970.
Red Wall

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 02:56:50 PM »

Rhode Island or Delaware.
Redban

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 08:35:06 PM »

I'm gonna be bold and say NEW YORK

Upstate and Long Island are areas that could viably trend rightwards, especially if the radical politics of NYC continues to alienate the moderate Dems in the state. Then the GOP would need to narrow the deficit in NYC from 80% to about 65%.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 11:37:15 PM »

By 50 years from now, I'd say Delaware, Rhode Island, New York, and Illinois.

Connecticut, New Jersey, Hawaii, and Oregon might be stretches, but it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe Vermont could swing to the right someday as well?
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2021, 11:38:28 PM »

Absolutely agree Utah will be competitive soon, although I'd say we need a thread for titanium red states that would probably become swing states in 50 years time. If no one else makes one then I'll do the honors.
astrohuncho
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 08:45:09 PM »

Definitely a state like Vermont or Rhode Island, 2016 showed potential first signs but it'll take a long while for these states to become competitive, for sure the rurals will go red first...
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 09:28:39 PM »

This may sound crazy but I think by 2070 most all states will have circulated through the “swing  state” cycle whether or not they are blue or red. With the exception of like DC or KY lol.
But in 2070 specifically maybe ILL, HI, NY? Maybe CA idk, it’ll probably be a traditional lean/ tilt D state.

KY is far more likely to become a swing state again at some point than DC ever is to come close to voting Republican, short of a massive realignment.

A state like WY or something would be a more appropriate parallel to DC, as it doesn’t have much history at all of voting for Democrats on almost any level.

But really, there is no state, blue or red, comparable to DC in partisanship.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 09:31:02 PM »

Definitely a state like Vermont or Rhode Island, 2016 showed potential first signs but it'll take a long while for these states to become competitive, for sure the rurals will go red first...

Literally only because of Bernie write-ins. Swung back hard to the most Democratic state in the country this year. There was no “sign” of Vermont moving right in 2016.

Not saying it’s impossible a state as rural and white as Vermont (though also pretty educated and unusual in many ways) will eventually vote R again. But 2016 is not a sign of it.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 10:10:40 AM »

CA, NY, and the greater DC area seem like the anchors of the Democratic Party for the foreseeable future. In other words, I think they sort of form the core of the current Democratic coalition, symbolically, demographically, and financially, and I think it's unlikely they'll switch to voting Republican even as partisan coalitions inevitably change around them.

So I'll go with IL, which seems like a decent bet if only because it's the lone Midwestern titanium D state, and it seems possible that a future realignment could see the GOP become centered more on the Midwest than the South. It also helps that it's already closer than other titanium D states.
Bush did 311
Vatnos
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 10:26:51 AM »

The thing about Delaware's voting patterns is that it's a fairly white-collar state. If it flips to the Republicans it'll be because the Republicans become more #Tory than they are presently, which isn't impossible but is also the opposite of their current trajectory.

I think this could be the future. The thing is a leftward economic shift among the dem base may cause some of these mid atlantic states to fall away (DE, NJ, CT) Though I think there are economically left social moderates in appalachia and the plains that could compensate for the losses.

I also agree with the post earlier that all states cycle through eventually. We've seen it.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2021, 10:39:00 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2021, 10:42:06 AM by Southern Governor Punxsutawney Phil »

This may sound crazy but I think by 2070 most all states will have circulated through the “swing  state” cycle whether or not they are blue or red. With the exception of like DC or KY lol.

KY is far more likely to become a swing state again at some point than DC ever is to come close to voting Republican, short of a massive realignment.

A state like WY or something would be a more appropriate parallel to DC, as it doesn’t have much history at all of voting for Democrats on almost any level.

But really, there is no state, blue or red, comparable to DC in partisanship.
While you are mostly completely correct, it is incorrect to say Wyoming "doesn’t have much history at all of voting for Democrats on almost any level". It was quite winnable for Dems, and even Dem-leaning on occasion for a long time until the 1950s. It voted for FDR in all but one of his elections. 1992 was the first time that in two consecutive Dem victories, Wyoming did not vote for the Democrat. And this is to say nothing about downballot.
In 1948, Wyoming was pretty much EVEN relative to the nation as a whole, looking at one-cycle PVI.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 07:28:21 AM »

What if there is no electoral college at all and it is all popular vote?
But to answer the original question, Illinois has a good shot of becoming a swing state much sooner than that.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2021, 04:17:18 PM »

What if there is no electoral college at all and it is all popular vote?
But to answer the original question, Illinois has a good shot of becoming a swing state much sooner than that.

I am inclined to agree that my current home, Illinois, seems likely to return to swing-state status, given the growth trends in the collar counties, and it won't take 50 years to get to that point.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2021, 07:00:51 PM »

HI or RI, both on the backs of slow demographic realignment
could hawaii ever get a retirement community growing?
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2021, 07:37:01 PM »

New Mexico (not really titanium blue, but it did vote comfortably for Democrats in the last 4 elections).

While I don't agree with the Atlas narrative that RGV and Dade prove that Hispanics are now zooming to the Republican column, the GOP will have to make further inroads in minority communities in the 21st century to stay relevant, and so I think they will. The ancestral Dem vote among Hispanos is really what makes NM a Dem state, because it is otherwise a state with lots of Republican characteristics--Albuquerque isn't that big, there's not a strong "knowledge industry" presence, and there aren't many black people. The Hispanic community there is largely Hispano settlers from the Spanish/Mexican empire days, rather than new immigrants, which suggests that they're not quite as averse to conservatism as, say, Hispanic voters in CA or NY. So over time, with stronger Hispanic inroads, I believe NM can become a Republican state
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies