is flying a confederate flag a "redneck pride" thing or just being "racist"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:51:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  is flying a confederate flag a "redneck pride" thing or just being "racist"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
redneck pride

racist

both

neither

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 107

Author Topic: is flying a confederate flag a "redneck pride" thing or just being "racist"?  (Read 3888 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 15, 2021, 11:07:34 AM »

Probably my favorite anecdote from the Confederate flag debate was a conversation I had with an elderly gentleman with a thick Southern accent dressed in overalls and a red t-shirt, who said of the Confederacy, "I think they're traitors, and the people who fly that flag today are traitors and terrorists."

This is true, but Americans complaining about rebel traitors is just a bit much.

Canada took are traitors then, would you like the latest batch?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 12:07:54 AM »

Probably my favorite anecdote from the Confederate flag debate was a conversation I had with an elderly gentleman with a thick Southern accent dressed in overalls and a red t-shirt, who said of the Confederacy, "I think they're traitors, and the people who fly that flag today are traitors and terrorists."

This is true, but Americans complaining about rebel traitors is just a bit much.

The patriots were the traitors in the Revolutionary War, not the loyalists.

Winners write history.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 07:27:26 AM »

The patriots were the traitors in the Revolutionary War, not the loyalists.

Winners write history.

First of all, that's not always true.  Former Confederates and Confederate sympathizers wrote a great deal of Civil War history, for example.  Secondly, writing history doesn't mean writing accurate history.  If the Loyalists were traitors, then the term "traitor" is simply an empty partisan label with no meaning.  Why exactly were the Loyalists obligated to support an insurrection launched by their fellow citizens that they didn't agree with?   It's like saying that if Donald Trump and the mob that attacked the Capitol managed to establish a dictatorship, I would morally owe that government allegiance even though it was created over my extreme opposition and had overthrown the government that I really DID owe allegiance to. 

Good point about history writing.   Would have been better off if the Confederates really had all fled to South America.

Wonder how any loyalists who didn't fled were treated during the War of 1812.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 11:26:17 AM »

Good point about history writing.   Would have been better off if the Confederates really had all fled to South America.

Wonder how any loyalists who didn't flee were treated during the War of 1812.

Some of them did.

Well, that's why i said all
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies