Arkansas Lt. Gov. Rockefeller Dies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:04:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Arkansas Lt. Gov. Rockefeller Dies
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arkansas Lt. Gov. Rockefeller Dies  (Read 3653 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2006, 01:36:45 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060716/ap_on_re_us/obit_rockefeller

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Lt. Gov. Win Rockefeller, the unassuming billionaire who last year abandoned a race for Arkansas governor — a post once held by his father — died Sunday after unsuccessful treatments for a blood disorder, his office said. He was 57.

Rockefeller died Sunday morning at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences with his family present, said Steve Brawner, the lieutenant governor's spokesman. Rockefeller had returned to Arkansas on July 8 from Seattle after two unsuccessful bone marrow transplants to treat a blood condition that can lead to leukemia.

Rockefeller had undergone transplants Oct. 7 and March 29 in attempts to cure an unclassified myeloproliferative disorder. The lieutenant governor notified Gov. Mike Huckabee immediately on his return to the state that he could not continue in his duties, at least temporarily.

The great-grandson of Standard Oil founder John D. Rockefeller ranked No. 283 on the Forbes magazine list of the nation's wealthiest people in 2005, with a fortune the magazine estimated at $1.2 billion. As lieutenant governor, a part-time job, he forwarded his $34,673 state salary to charity.

He was the son of former Gov. Winthrop Rockefeller, who was elected to two-year terms in 1966 and 1968. His father died in 1973 at age 60 of cancer.

The lieutenant governor, a Republican, entered politics in 1996. He won a special election for lieutenant governor to complete the unexpired term of Huckabee, who became governor July 15, 1996, after Jim Guy Tucker was convicted as part of the Whitewater investigation. Rockefeller won re-election twice, in 1998 and 2002.

Under the state's term-limits law, he could not serve again as lieutenant governor. He announced his candidacy for governor last year but withdrew July 19, 2005, after the blood disorder was diagnosed.

Before withdrawing, he had said he wouldn't rely on his fortune to purchase the office.

"I don't think the governor's office is there to be bought by anybody. Nobody is ordained or destined to be governor. A person has to earn the right to serve," he said in February 2005.

As lieutenant governor, he served as an economic cheerleader for the state, traveling at his own expense to seek foreign investments here.

After his father's death, Rockefeller bought Winrock Farms Inc. and became involved in banking, retailing, automobile dealerships and resorts. Long before holding an elective office, Rockefeller was active in public service.

He was a member of the Arkansas State Police Commission from 1981 to 1995 and was chairman of the President's Council on Rural America after his appointment to the council in 1991 by the first        President Bush.

Rockefeller supported literacy councils and in 1997 created the Books in the Attic program, in which Boy Scouts collect used books to distribute to families. With two children with Down syndrome, Rockefeller and his second wife, Lisenne, started what is now the Academy at Riverdale, a school for children with learning disabilities.

Rockefeller also founded The Billfish Foundation, an organization dedicated to protecting marlins, swordfish and other billfish. As a National Rifle Association member, he sponsored Project ChildSafe to distribute free trigger locks in the state.

He also served on the Boy Scouts' national board of directors and was president of the Scouts' local Quapaw Area Council. He was on the national boards of Ducks Unlimited and The Nature Conservancy, and on the boards of the Arkansas Cancer Research Center and the Arkansas Arts Center Foundation.

Born Sept. 17, 1948, in New York, Rockefeller was the only child of Winthrop Rockefeller and Barbara "Bobo" Sears, the daughter of an immigrant Lithuanian coal miner. An uncle was former vice president Nelson Rockefeller, and current U.S. Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., is a cousin.

Rockefeller attended Pembroke College at the University of Oxford and graduated from the ranch management program at Texas Christian University. Rockefeller had homes at Winrock Farms in Conway County and in Little Rock. He had eight children.

Rockefeller's father was Arkansas' first Republican governor since Reconstruction, after moving to the state in 1953. He headed the Arkansas Industrial Development Commission in the 1950s and 1960s and is credited with attracting more than 600 businesses and 10,000 jobs to the state.

While the elder Rockefeller was governor, Arkansas passed minimum wage and freedom of information laws, and his tenure is generally regarded as a watershed moment for the state as it broadened its agriculture-based economy and made efforts to improve schools and race relations.
-----------------------------------------------

This is sad.  From everything I have heard, he was a good guy.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 01:41:21 PM »

He was a good man; very moderate, sensible, and generous.  He probably would have beaten Hutchinson in the primary had he been able to run.  This is very sad.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 01:43:30 PM »

Very sad, from what I've heard Win Rock was a great guy and a good Lt. Governor. He would have made a great gubernatorial candidate, probably would of beat Asa.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 03:27:48 PM »

He'd have probably been as good a Governor as he was Lt.Governor over the last few years, he set the standard for how those in public life should conduct themselves... it's a sad loss, shame there are not more like him in both parties.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 03:54:02 PM »

very sad!

his father is a political hero of mine.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 04:25:24 PM »

It's quite unfortunate.   I've always held him and his family in high esteem.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 07:22:15 PM »

Cry  I knew it was only a matter of days.  This is very sad.  A great man and a great leader.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 08:54:08 PM »

My condolences and prayers go out to the entire Rockefeller family and the entire state of Arkansas, especially Gov. Mike Huckabee. 

Who will be the next interim Lt Governor and have they set a special election or are they just going to wait until the next term takes over in January?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 05:39:31 AM »

Like his father, the Lt. Gov. was a progressive figure among Arkansas Republicans and I certainly mourn his passing

Dave
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 12:58:53 PM »

It is akward that Republicans can not claim a single constitutional Arkansas office this year!  There really will be no strong candidates to challenege pryor in 2008... Maybe 2010 is there year.

If i am not mistaken, Republicans are running a black candidate for statewide office, don't know if he could get any black votes and possibly win, Chris Morris..

Why do yall think arkansas is so democratic?

You know this thread is about a man dying right?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 01:00:48 PM »

It is akward that Republicans can not claim a single constitutional Arkansas office this year!  There really will be no strong candidates to challenege pryor in 2008... Maybe 2010 is there year.

If i am not mistaken, Republicans are running a black candidate for statewide office, don't know if he could get any black votes and possibly win, Chris Morris..

Why do yall think arkansas is so democratic?

You know this thread is about a man dying right?

Seriously, if you want to post your topic, there is another thread entitled "Arkansas".  You can post it there.  Leave this thread for condolences.

By the way, welcome to the forum!!!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 01:41:53 PM »

Thats okay, we're all human.  If you read one of my earlier posts in this thread, I kind of made the same error you did, I didn't realize there was another "Arkansas" thread to discuss Rockefeller's replacement.

Again, welcome to the forum jamespol!!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies