Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:14:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread  (Read 26511 times)
Yoda
United States

« on: January 13, 2021, 08:13:09 PM »

She is a great gift to us. Thank you for everything you do Marjorie!

I think it was yesterday that someone said Osoff would be a Senator-for-life if he wanted it, and I said that I don't think GA is a safe blue state yet, or rather that it still wouldn't be come 2026.

This Marjorie Taylor Green idiot is reaaalllly making me reconsider that argument. She is a special, unique kind of ignorant/stupid/radioactive politician that will drive independents and sane republicans away from the party in her entire state. Republicans are going to rue the day they allowed this complete moron to become the face of their party in GA. Which she will be, b/c she is the loudest/craziest voice.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 08:16:40 PM »

I'd actually suggest putting this up for a vote just to see how hackish/partisan republicans really are. Could be a tough vote for some of the members

Same. Put them on record. I want to see who wouldn't vote to impeach trump over sending a terrorist mob to kill the VP and Congressmen, but who will vote to impeach Biden over nothing.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 05:50:15 PM »

Are there rules against calling for violence against another member? Do they still need 2/3 vote to expel her or can Pelosi and dems kick her out?
Yoda
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 04:48:01 AM »

even if Marjorie Taylor Greene is expelled or removed from office it wont matter in the end because  the people in her district will simply pick somebody else that is even crazier than she currently is just to "own the lib's and the media"

love her or hate Marjorie Taylor Greene is perfect representation of her district
and removing her will not solve anyhing nor will it address the reason her district voted for somebody like her in the first place

Marjorie Taylor Greene is just a symptom of a larger problem

unless we can find a realistic way to combat the conspiracy theories and stop the radicalization that we are seeing on social media  I fear we will see even more people like Marjorie Taylor Greene heading to Congress in the future....

Jfc.....I'm not arguing with you b/c I don't know but God help us all if that's true. It's horrifying to think this woman is a perfect representation of anything besides a particularly insane 4chan thread.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 04:51:33 AM »

Strip her of all her major committee assignments, cosigning her to sitting on more irrelevant committees. If she repeats remarks such as calling for Pelosi's execution or other crazy things she has said over the years, move to expel.

The GOP could expel her from the Caucus.  She could respond by collecting a paycheck for doing nothing for 2 years, but that might be a good thing.

For those of you that view MTG as an aberration, remember that her election is very much in the spirit of democracy.  There is a reason the Founders limited popular election of Federal officials solely to the House of Representatives; they believed that "the people" would elect all sorts of MTGs.  It's one of a number of reasons of why the Founders opted for a bi-cameral legislature.

It's also a reason why we are not a "democracy", but a REPUBLIC.  Our Republic has, to be sure, democratic features, but we are not a "democracy".  The "Guaranty Clause" guarantees that each state will have a "republican form of government", and not a "democratic form of government".  The older I get the more appreciative of this principle I become.
The words democracy and republic are not mutually exclusive. America was founded and remains a democratic republic

I've really come to hate the statement "we're a republic, not a democracy." This country functions as a republic and representative democracy, and direct Congressional elections are constitutionally enshrined as such. So what exactly is the point of that statement? To illustrate that having people vote on every single government action is bad? Yeah, I think it would be bad, but we don't do it anyway, so whatever. We the people sure do elect representatives to make and execute the law, though.

It seems like 90% of the time I see that statement on the internet, it's just some conservative trying to explain why their attempts to try and rig an election in their favor (or steal it after the fact) is somehow justifiable, because something something republic.

ding ding ding! We have a winner. I wish this was reddit and I could give you gold or something. Every single time a republican blathers about a "republic", it's to justify tyranny of the minority.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 09:21:48 PM »

Lmao she lives rent free in Dems heads. Congratulations for making her a star, I guess?

I don’t know what you guys are trying to accomplish tbh, but I won’t interrupt my rivals as they make a mistake.

What mistake? She's your Ilhan Omar but more deserving of scorn and more likely to become the face of the post-Trump GOP. That'll surely help with winning back the suburbs! She also now has lost much of her influence while in office so we don't have to feel quite as terrible about her making decisions for the country. This vote has also exposed...well, if anyone needed even more of a reminder, that is, how far-gone into irrationality and delusion that the vast majority of the GOP has descended into in being perfectly fine with associating with her in addition to Trump and Capitol rioters. They're all okay to the Republican Party-deserving of only a mild wag on the finger at least. It's a win-win-win in many ways.

Except her district chose her to represent the district in both the primary and the general with most of the quoted statements being made before she took office. The GOP should have removed her seats but not congress.

I get what you’re saying, but she was removed from committees through a perfectly legitimate mechanism, and voters of her district should have been aware of the possibility of that when casting their votes.

And now MN 5th/NY 14th(or whatever number it is) voters will have to aware of the same for 2022.

The GOP will do that in 2023 when if they take back the house.
Then Democrats will say the two aren't the same and do a few more back. After that we just go down a rolling hill till no one in the house minority has any committee seats.

Did I miss something? Did the democrats who occupy those seats call for the assassination of a republican member? Did they incite violence by lying about the results of an election? Did they mock and harass the survivors of school shootings? Did they deny the Pentagon was hit by an airplane on 9/11? Did they accuse their political opponents of satanic worship, pedophilia and drinking the blood of babies?

Struggling to understand why you are trying to draw a comparison between Greene, who has said and done all of these things, with two representatives who, to my knowledge, have said or done none of these things, or anything comparable.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 10:14:19 PM »

If Democrats had an equivalent to MTG in Congress somehow, we wouldn't need Republicans to keep him/her out of Comittees. We'd do it ourselves in a heartbeat. Liz's threat means nothing.

The threat is that when the GOP has control, they'll remove committee assignments from Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, Cori Bush, or some other people Fox News is mad at. And if they have the majority, they can do that and there's nothing Dems can do about it.

Did any of those people support execution/death of other House members?
That's irrelevant. The point is that if the GOP has a majority and is united, they can remove any Dem they want, from any committee, for any reason. Even if they don't do it in 2023 for whatever person Fox News hates that year, it's something the majority is empowered to do.

So you're saying that republicans, when they get the chance, are going to strip democrats of their committee assignments without cause?

That's wildly different from removing someone from their committees b/c they called for the assassination of the Speaker of the House and have accused Hillary Clinton of satanic worship and pedophilia. If republicans ever choose to go down that road, that is a battle they will eventually lose, and will do nothing in the long run but completely obliterate any and all remaining democratic resistance to the ideas of abolishing the filibuster, adding DC and Puerto Rico, and banning Congressional gerrymandering. Gerrymandering and DC and Puerto Rico not being states are pretty much the only way republicans have a shot at being in the majority in the first place.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 01:59:59 AM »

If Democrats had an equivalent to MTG in Congress somehow, we wouldn't need Republicans to keep him/her out of Comittees. We'd do it ourselves in a heartbeat. Liz's threat means nothing.

The threat is that when the GOP has control, they'll remove committee assignments from Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, Cori Bush, or some other people Fox News is mad at. And if they have the majority, they can do that and there's nothing Dems can do about it.

Did any of those people support execution/death of other House members?
That's irrelevant. The point is that if the GOP has a majority and is united, they can remove any Dem they want, from any committee, for any reason. Even if they don't do it in 2023 for whatever person Fox News hates that year, it's something the majority is empowered to do.

So you're saying that republicans, when they get the chance, are going to strip democrats of their committee assignments without cause?

That's wildly different from removing someone from their committees b/c they called for the assassination of the Speaker of the House and have accused Hillary Clinton of satanic worship and pedophilia. If republicans ever choose to go down that road, that is a battle they will eventually lose, and will do nothing in the long run but completely obliterate any and all remaining democratic resistance to the ideas of abolishing the filibuster, adding DC and Puerto Rico, and banning Congressional gerrymandering. Gerrymandering and DC and Puerto Rico not being states are pretty much the only way republicans have a shot at being in the majority in the first place.
The cause would be retaliation, with whatever Fox News outrage de jour as a pretext. I'm not saying they will do that, or that anyone will care about this stuff in 23 months, but that is the threat. It's baffling how people don't understand the simple idea that any parliamentary procedure can be used both ways and that "but this person actually was bad!" means very little in politics.

As for the Dems doing all the things you mention, they would need the Senate to do that, and they would need Senators who care about whatever internal drama is going on in the lower house of Congress. But sure, maybe hypothetical retaliation will result in even more hypothetical retaliation.

"Retaliation" is not a cause. A cause is something that someone has done to legitimately warrant being fired from their job, or in this case, being removed from a committee. Republicans exacting some warped idea of revenge for democrats doing the right thing by removing a violent, terrorist sympathizing bigot from House committees is not a cause. Omar or Ocasio-Cortez would have to do (or say) something similarly beyond the pale like Greene has for it to be "cause".

Now, sure, House republicans could do what you're saying....but, again....it wouldn't be for "cause", it would be for rank politics. And, again, if they ever went down that road, the next time dems had the trifecta, they would likely destroy republicans' chance to hold either chamber with the exception of extreme pro-republican wave years. So.....good luck with that.

And yeh.....senators would definitely care about "lower house" drama when that drama is members being kicked off committees for no reason. Do that and see what happens to republican senators and their precious SCOTUS majority.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies