Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 04:01:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24
Author Topic: Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread  (Read 27272 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: February 05, 2021, 06:41:10 AM »

Perhaps this might be a hot take, but I don't think anyone should ever be stripped of committee assignments, under any circumstances.

It is literally their job as Congressmen to serve in committees. If Congress doesn't want them doing their job, then expel them. But if not, they should get to serve in commitees.

Why should GA-14's duly elected representative be treated any different from the other 434 congressmen? She may be crazy and stupid, but it's who the people of GA-14 chose to represent them in Congress.

The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #426 on: February 05, 2021, 06:57:36 AM »

Perhaps this might be a hot take, but I don't think anyone should ever be stripped of committee assignments, under any circumstances.

It is literally their job as Congressmen to serve in committees. If Congress doesn't want them doing their job, then expel them. But if not, they should get to serve in commitees.

Why should GA-14's duly elected representative be treated any different from the other 434 congressmen? She may be crazy and stupid, but it's who the people of GA-14 chose to represent them in Congress.

Woodrow Wilson said that Congress in committee is at Congress at work, and Congress in session is Congress on exhibition. Marjorie Taylor Greene is a pure exhibitionist.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #427 on: February 05, 2021, 07:07:42 AM »

Does Young Kim voting in support of the resolution mean MTG is secretly an LGBT ally?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #428 on: February 05, 2021, 07:09:16 AM »

Woodrow Wilson said that Congress in committee is at Congress at work, and Congress in session is Congress on exhibition. Marjorie Taylor Greene is a pure exhibitionist.

Someone should have told the voters of GA-14 that before it was too late though. There's still time to convince them not to reelect MTG in 2022 though!
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #429 on: February 05, 2021, 07:10:59 AM »

Someone should have told the voters of GA-14 that before it was too late though. There's still time to convince them not to reelect MTG in 2022 though!

I think they knew who they were electing.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #430 on: February 05, 2021, 07:14:11 AM »

If the voters of GA-14 had any basic understanding of politics they should have been aware from the start that MTG holds views and positions of such a extreme nature that ramifications like losing commitee assignments have always been a strong possibility with her. Yet they voted for her anyway.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #431 on: February 05, 2021, 08:44:36 AM »

Because their representative has behaved more abhorrently than (most of) the other 434 congressmen. The people of GA-14 are entitled to elect whoever they please to represent them. They are not, however, entitled to have everyone else pretend that this person’s behavior is normal and acceptable.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #432 on: February 05, 2021, 09:25:00 AM »

Because their representative has behaved more abhorrently than (most of) the other 434 congressmen. The people of GA-14 are entitled to elect whoever they please to represent them. They are not, however, entitled to have everyone else pretend that this person’s behavior is normal and acceptable.

To my knowledge she hasn't done anything crazy on the House floor? Huh If she was unruly in the floor she could be kicked out (my mind always comes to the UK and when an MP was kicked for calling the PM "Dodgy Dave"). But I don't think this applies here?

Parliamentary immunity means that she is entitled to her own opinions without fear of retribution. And if the people of GA-14 want to be represented by someone who talks about "Jewish space lasers" or whatever that is their choice I guess
ibagli
United States

« Reply #433 on: February 05, 2021, 10:13:04 AM »

Parliamentary immunity means that she is entitled to her own opinions without fear of retribution.

Without fear of external retribution.

"for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place."
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #434 on: February 05, 2021, 10:13:35 AM »

To my knowledge she hasn't done anything crazy on the House floor? Huh If she was unruly in the floor she could be kicked out (my mind always comes to the UK and when an MP was kicked for calling the PM "Dodgy Dave"). But I don't think this applies here?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cori-bush-moves-office-marjorie-taylor-greene-threatened/

Parliamentary immunity means that she is entitled to her own opinions without fear of retribution. And if the people of GA-14 want to be represented by someone who talks about "Jewish space lasers" or whatever that is their choice I guess

No, that isn't what parliamentary immunity means. Parliamentary immunity means that a lawmaker is immune from criminal prosecution. Authorities haven't charged MTG with a crime though and stripping someone of committee assignments is also not a form of law enforcement. The two things haven't anything to do with each other.

And if the people of GA-14 want to be represented by someone who talks about "Jewish space lasers" or whatever that is their choice I guess

Well, since MTG wasn't expelled she'll continue to represent the people of GA-14 in Congress.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #435 on: February 05, 2021, 10:18:44 AM »

This may be unpopular but I'm also very uncomfortable with the majority vote to remove a representative from committees.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #436 on: February 05, 2021, 10:30:06 AM »

It's not just Jewish space lasers. She liked comments that discussed putting a bullet in Pelosi's head, about executing FBI agents, and replied back about hangings of Obama and Hillary.

If you or I did that, we would be visited by authorities and "our jobs" (as a Congress Rep, a CEO or a store clerk) would/could be disrupted. If the story got out, you could be warned by your boss/employer, demoted, transferred, fired, chastised/scolded by your fellow employees, etc, etc.
These are indirect death threats. If anything, it leaves fear in people's (fellow employees) minds, that this individual is not normal, and may decide to go "postal" one day (especially when you know the individual is consistently carrying a gun at their side).
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #437 on: February 05, 2021, 10:38:55 AM »

It's not just Jewish space lasers. She liked comments that discussed putting a bullet in Pelosi's head, about executing FBI agents, and replied back about hangings of Obama and Hillary.

If you or I did that, we would be visited by authorities and "our jobs" (as a Congress Rep, a CEO or a store clerk) would/could be disrupted. If the story got out, you could be warned by your boss/employer, demoted, transferred, fired, chastised/scolded by your fellow employees, etc, etc.
These are indirect death threats. If anything, it leaves fear in people's (fellow employees) minds, that this individual is not normal, and may decide to go "postal" one day (especially when you know the individual is consistently carrying a gun at their side).

Yeah, death threats and violence are almost about the only kind of speech that should carry consequences. I thought she only had said stupid stuff like full belief in QAnon and the Jewish space lasers thing; not outright threats.

Tbh I still think that removing her from assignments is not the way to go. If she is such a big threat to her own colleagues (like Pelosi or Cori Bush, who she has apparently threatened as well) that she can't be trusted not to shoot them at some point in her tenure; I still think she should be outright expelled for those threats; removing her from commitees doesn't really do much to protect the safety of the other 434 representatives.

And it must be made clear that she is removed not for her opinions (like I said, she can talk about Jewish Death Stars all she wants) but rather for threats to her own colleagues.

I am not sure how things would work in the US, but assuming things work in a comparable way I guess the vote should not have been on removing her from commitees, but rather on removing her parliamentary immunity. If successful, then she should be sued for death threats, and if found guilty, thrown in jail for a couple of years.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #438 on: February 05, 2021, 11:02:16 AM »

It’s absolutely their choice sure. If the people of GA-14 want to stand on principle and re-elect her in 2022, they can do that. Or they can ditch her and elect someone who will be able to work productively with fellow members of congress in order to benefit their district. But they can’t have their cake and eat it too.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #439 on: February 05, 2021, 11:41:34 AM »

Its hardly precedent breaking. Amash didn't get any commitees as an independent. Hopefully this happens until only the majority party has commitees. That would be more fair than two parties.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #440 on: February 05, 2021, 12:07:15 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2021, 12:15:31 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

I don't really like this being a partisan vote.

However, Democrats have been clear about where the line is.

"I want my colleagues to be killed."
"Please assassinate my colleagues."
"Send me to Congress to kill these 3 Democrats."

That is the line.

There are a lot of really nasty, horrible people in the Republican conference.  Lots of them have done nasty, horrible things.  Jim Jordan (OH-04) facilitated the sexual abuse of college students.  But that doesn't come close to crossing the line.  Scott DesJarlais (TN-04) f--ked his patients when he was a doctor, as well as his employees, and then forced them to have abortions.  You probably didn't even know that because hey, we're not talking about kicking him off any committees.

If this really were a revenge trip, we'd also punish Louie Gohmert, Devin Nunes, Matt Gaetz, Mo Brooks, Andy Biggs, Lauren Boebert, and Madison Cawthorn, for starters.  8 Republicans we absolutely loathe and who richly deserve punishment.  But we didn't even discuss it.

The shame isn't that Democrats took this step.  The shame is that they were forced to because Republicans wouldn't.  The disgusting cowardice of the Republican Party knows no bottom.  If AOC went around calling for Kevin McCarthy to be killed, and campaigned on an implied promise to blow McCarthy's brains out, and celebrated when he was attacked by a mob of AOC stans who wanted to kill him, you bet your ass we'd strip her assignments.  We'd probably try to kick her out of the House entirely.  And this move would be supported by 100% of Democrats.  Anyone who doesn't believe this is just lying to themselves.

Anyone remember William Jefferson?  In 2006, the FBI found a bunch of money in his freezer.  Turns out he was running a corruption racket.  Democrats kicked him off his committees.  Now he's in prison.

Republicans have more criminals in their party, because their party sucks, so they've had to use this move more often.  Duncan Hunter, stripped.  Chris Collins, stripped.  Steve King, stripped.
The GOP has also frequently used committee stripping as a revenge tactic.  Justin Amash, stripped.  Tim Huelskamp, stripped.  Dave Schweikert, stripped.  Walter Jones, stripped.  All guys who spoke up against party leadership.

By the way, Dennis Hastert and Mark Foley raped little boys.  This doesn't have anything to do with this topic but I just wanted to remind you that your party sucks.  You guys even made up a rule in 2014 to avoid passing bipartisan legislation and named it after Hastert.

So this isn't some unheard of tactic.  And Republicans have demonstrated that they're willing to use it for far less than what MTG has done.  And the truth is, we all know that they want her stripped of her assignments.  GOP members have been leaking to the press all week that they hoped the leadership would do something.  Even the leadership condemned her.  But they were too cowardly to take the final step.  They all wanted this to happen.  But they were so terrified of retribution that they sat on the bench and made Democrats do it for them.  Well, you're welcome.

And now they have the temerity to offer up phony outrage and shock and anger and pretend like this is somehow equivalent to them kicking Omar (admittedly, a horrible person) off her committees for attacking Jews or whatever.  When we all know that's malarkey.  Even the Republicans in this thread know that's malarkey.

They are disgusting.  They are cowards.  And they should be utterly ashamed of themselves for playing monday-morning quarterback after we had to go in and win their game for them.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #441 on: February 05, 2021, 05:35:44 PM »

Then she should fit right in.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #442 on: February 05, 2021, 05:47:36 PM »

Interesting.  I wish that were the only thing that she was considered crazy for.....  

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #443 on: February 05, 2021, 08:09:41 PM »

Republicans removed Steve King from his committee assignments for saying similarly outrageous things as Greene did therefore with them failing to hold her to the same standard the Democratic Majority had no choice but to take it in their hands instead. I have no qualms about this. To me this is equivalent to a disturbed student being suspended from school for writing a hit-list. If any Democrat went as far as Greene had with an obvious pattern of behavior, Pelosi herself would have expelled them before it ever attracted media attention. That I am confident of.

And as I said in an earlier post, it also serves to really reinforce how far-gone the Republican Party is-how tolerant the majority of them are of conspiracy theories and bigotry. With four recent votes (the two Electoral College certification votes, the vote on Trump's second impeachment, and the vote to remove Greene from committee assignments) the party has clearly chosen their post-Trump Presidency past and are content to continue drilling into the bedrock and circling the drain. I can't believe that Kevin McCarthy is making me Paul Ryan right about now. They will never reach a bottom.

I do want to give slight praise (very slight) to John Katko, Adam Kinzinger, and Fred Upton for being the only three Republican representatives to vote the rational way in all four votes and as the only members fighting the losing battle of wanting their party to move on from Trump and the politics he corrupted their party and the entire nation with. You could have been part of this group too, Peter Meijer! You also wouldn't have even had the baggage of four years of a previous pro-Trump voting record like the aforementioned three still have and been at the absolute top of my favorite Republicans in the country list (a very short list, granted)! But no, you just had to express tolerance for an absolute psychopath being on two major committees-helping to create laws for the entire country. You're on my s***list now and nothing is more important than that...right?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #444 on: February 05, 2021, 08:35:39 PM »

Can someone tell me where to find a list of those 11 Reps who voted in favor of Green's removal from her committee posts? Are those the same GOP legislators that voted in favor of Trump's impeachment?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #445 on: February 05, 2021, 08:39:15 PM »

Can someone tell me where to find a list of those 11 Reps who voted in favor of Green's removal from her committee posts? Are those the same GOP legislators that voted in favor of Trump's impeachment?

Kinzinger
Upton
Jacobs of NY
Malliotakis
Young Kim
Fitzpatrick
Katko
Smith of NJ
All three Miami Reps

Govtrack.com is good for this kinda thing
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #446 on: February 05, 2021, 08:39:26 PM »

It is not the same set as those who voted for impeachment, although there is some overlap.

Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #447 on: February 05, 2021, 09:01:23 PM »

So, John Katko (NY-24), Adam Kinzinger (IL-16), and Fred Upton (MI-06) seem to be the only Republican double freedom fighters.
I must say that I'm a bit disappointed by Liz Cheney, though. I thought she were one of the sanest GOP members, and she wouldn't even have to fear any primary challenger in case of an anti-Greene vote.
walleye26

« Reply #448 on: February 05, 2021, 10:38:01 PM »

Why didn’t Meijer vote to remove? He voted impeach, I’m surprised he didn’t remove her from her assignments.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #449 on: February 05, 2021, 11:59:10 PM »

Why didn’t Meijer vote to remove? He voted impeach, I’m surprised he didn’t remove her from her assignments.

Probably McCarthy is planning to remove committee assignments from all the GOPers that voted for this.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies