Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:16:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24
Author Topic: Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread  (Read 26444 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: February 04, 2021, 08:15:19 PM »

Is Ben Shapiro still semi-openly lusting after AOC?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #401 on: February 04, 2021, 08:16:28 PM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #402 on: February 04, 2021, 08:24:13 PM »

Glad the Crazy Witch has been striped of her committee seats.

Question. Does anyone know ...
If the House GOP wanted to be a$$holes (which is highly likely), could they decide to place her on other committees?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #403 on: February 04, 2021, 08:25:15 PM »

It's not like Liz Cheney's days in the House aren't number anyway.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #404 on: February 04, 2021, 08:41:11 PM »

If Democrats had an equivalent to MTG in Congress somehow, we wouldn't need Republicans to keep him/her out of Comittees. We'd do it ourselves in a heartbeat. Liz's threat means nothing.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #405 on: February 04, 2021, 08:44:19 PM »

Republicans in disarray!
LtNOWIS

« Reply #406 on: February 04, 2021, 08:47:37 PM »

If Democrats had an equivalent to MTG in Congress somehow, we wouldn't need Republicans to keep him/her out of Comittees. We'd do it ourselves in a heartbeat. Liz's threat means nothing.
The threat is that when the GOP has control, they'll remove committee assignments from Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, Cori Bush, or some other people Fox News is mad at. And if they have the majority, they can do that and there's nothing Dems can do about it.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #407 on: February 04, 2021, 08:54:32 PM »

The threat is that when the GOP has control, they'll remove committee assignments from Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, Cori Bush, or some other people Fox News is mad at. And if they have the majority, they can do that and there's nothing Dems can do about it.

Did any of those people support execution/death of other House members?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #408 on: February 04, 2021, 09:00:53 PM »

Video. Hoyer walks photo of Greene's AR-15 post across House floor.

Watch here ... https://us.cnn.com/videos/politics/2021/02/04/steny-hoyer-house-floor-marjorie-taylor-greene-tweet-photo-sot-tsr-vpx.cnn
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #409 on: February 04, 2021, 09:09:05 PM »

Doesn't matter -it's all about false equivalencies for Republicans.  For them, any of these names are the moral equals of Marjorie Taylor Greene.   Roll Eyes
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #410 on: February 04, 2021, 09:14:20 PM »

That would suit House Democratic leadership just fine but give rise to a load of insufferable theatre.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #411 on: February 04, 2021, 09:21:48 PM »

Lmao she lives rent free in Dems heads. Congratulations for making her a star, I guess?

I don’t know what you guys are trying to accomplish tbh, but I won’t interrupt my rivals as they make a mistake.

What mistake? She's your Ilhan Omar but more deserving of scorn and more likely to become the face of the post-Trump GOP. That'll surely help with winning back the suburbs! She also now has lost much of her influence while in office so we don't have to feel quite as terrible about her making decisions for the country. This vote has also exposed...well, if anyone needed even more of a reminder, that is, how far-gone into irrationality and delusion that the vast majority of the GOP has descended into in being perfectly fine with associating with her in addition to Trump and Capitol rioters. They're all okay to the Republican Party-deserving of only a mild wag on the finger at least. It's a win-win-win in many ways.

Except her district chose her to represent the district in both the primary and the general with most of the quoted statements being made before she took office. The GOP should have removed her seats but not congress.

I get what you’re saying, but she was removed from committees through a perfectly legitimate mechanism, and voters of her district should have been aware of the possibility of that when casting their votes.

And now MN 5th/NY 14th(or whatever number it is) voters will have to aware of the same for 2022.

The GOP will do that in 2023 when if they take back the house.
Then Democrats will say the two aren't the same and do a few more back. After that we just go down a rolling hill till no one in the house minority has any committee seats.

Did I miss something? Did the democrats who occupy those seats call for the assassination of a republican member? Did they incite violence by lying about the results of an election? Did they mock and harass the survivors of school shootings? Did they deny the Pentagon was hit by an airplane on 9/11? Did they accuse their political opponents of satanic worship, pedophilia and drinking the blood of babies?

Struggling to understand why you are trying to draw a comparison between Greene, who has said and done all of these things, with two representatives who, to my knowledge, have said or done none of these things, or anything comparable.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #412 on: February 04, 2021, 09:30:04 PM »

Lmao she lives rent free in Dems heads. Congratulations for making her a star, I guess?

I don’t know what you guys are trying to accomplish tbh, but I won’t interrupt my rivals as they make a mistake.

What mistake? She's your Ilhan Omar but more deserving of scorn and more likely to become the face of the post-Trump GOP. That'll surely help with winning back the suburbs! She also now has lost much of her influence while in office so we don't have to feel quite as terrible about her making decisions for the country. This vote has also exposed...well, if anyone needed even more of a reminder, that is, how far-gone into irrationality and delusion that the vast majority of the GOP has descended into in being perfectly fine with associating with her in addition to Trump and Capitol rioters. They're all okay to the Republican Party-deserving of only a mild wag on the finger at least. It's a win-win-win in many ways.

Except her district chose her to represent the district in both the primary and the general with most of the quoted statements being made before she took office. The GOP should have removed her seats but not congress.

I get what you’re saying, but she was removed from committees through a perfectly legitimate mechanism, and voters of her district should have been aware of the possibility of that when casting their votes.

And now MN 5th/NY 14th(or whatever number it is) voters will have to aware of the same for 2022.

Then Democrats will say the two aren't the same and do a few more back. After that we just go down a rolling hill till no one in the house minority has any committee seats.

Did I miss something? Did the democrats who occupy those seats call for the assassination of a republican member? Did they incite violence by lying about the results of an election? Did they mock and harass the survivors of school shootings? Did they deny the Pentagon was hit by an airplane on 9/11? Did they accuse their political opponents of satanic worship, pedophilia and drinking the blood of babies?

Struggling to understand why you are trying to draw a comparison between Greene, who has said and done all of these things, with two representatives who, to my knowledge, have said or done none of these things, or anything comparable.

It is funny that "some people did something" got more of a reaction on the right than "there's no evidence a plane hit the Pentagon."
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #413 on: February 04, 2021, 09:34:56 PM »

It is funny that "some people did something" got more of a reaction on the right than "there's no evidence a plane hit the Pentagon."
Almost as funny as the fact “all about the Benjamin’s” got a bigger backlash for being anti Semitic over Jews have space lasers that are causing all the wildfires
Jay 🏳️‍⚧️
trippytropicana
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #414 on: February 04, 2021, 09:35:47 PM »

That would suit House Democratic leadership just fine but give rise to a load of insufferable theatre.

No it wouldn't? Steny Hoyer literally gave a floor speech today defending Omar, Tlaib, and Ocasio-Cortez and said that nothing they've said is comparable to what MTG says
LtNOWIS

« Reply #415 on: February 04, 2021, 09:51:21 PM »

That's irrelevant. The point is that if the GOP has a majority and is united, they can remove any Dem they want, from any committee, for any reason. Even if they don't do it in 2023 for whatever person Fox News hates that year, it's something the majority is empowered to do.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #416 on: February 04, 2021, 09:55:03 PM »

No it wouldn't? Steny Hoyer literally gave a floor speech today defending Omar, Tlaib, and Ocasio-Cortez and said that nothing they've said is comparable to what MTG says

If it happened, Hoyer would defend them in public to score political points (this is the insufferable theatre I mentioned). However, he would probably be pleased to see anti-establishment Democrats be disempowered within the chamber, just as many Republicans weren’t prepared to back Liz Cheney publicly but could support her in a secret ballot.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #417 on: February 04, 2021, 09:55:11 PM »

So how many Republicans will vote yes on the resolution? Kinzinger definitely will, but who else?

Does it really matter much, though? If a majority of congressional Republicans had backbone they would vote to expell this moron from the House. However, over 140 of them showed their true colors on January 6 by voting to overturn an election after an insurrection happened.

I still can't believe they did that. The lunatic fringe.

I saw this coming in 2008. That others didn't is the only surprising thing here.

What did you see?

The base already turning.

Birtherism and other appeals to racisme. The notion of Demcorats or minorities being "not real Americans" and thus needing their voting rights stripped. Obstruction for the sake of obstruction. The general right wing reaction to Obama's presidency, really. Remember the rallies with effigies of Obama being lunched?

"Not my president" started with Republicans and Obama, and there were already Republicans in 2010 and 12 starting to call elections they lost as fraudulant, including claiming Obama stole the election.

It was only a matter of time before these sort of people were elected to office, or officeholders sold their soul to appeal to the worst elements of society to keep their own seats.

Even in the 2008 Obama landslide, Republicans said that ACORN stole the election.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #418 on: February 04, 2021, 09:56:33 PM »

Liz Cheney voted NO on removing MTG from committees. She also just released some BS statement.

Liz Cheney resistance hero for January 13 2021 - February 4 2021.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #419 on: February 04, 2021, 10:14:19 PM »

That's irrelevant. The point is that if the GOP has a majority and is united, they can remove any Dem they want, from any committee, for any reason. Even if they don't do it in 2023 for whatever person Fox News hates that year, it's something the majority is empowered to do.

So you're saying that republicans, when they get the chance, are going to strip democrats of their committee assignments without cause?

That's wildly different from removing someone from their committees b/c they called for the assassination of the Speaker of the House and have accused Hillary Clinton of satanic worship and pedophilia. If republicans ever choose to go down that road, that is a battle they will eventually lose, and will do nothing in the long run but completely obliterate any and all remaining democratic resistance to the ideas of abolishing the filibuster, adding DC and Puerto Rico, and banning Congressional gerrymandering. Gerrymandering and DC and Puerto Rico not being states are pretty much the only way republicans have a shot at being in the majority in the first place.
LtNOWIS

« Reply #420 on: February 04, 2021, 10:46:35 PM »

So you're saying that republicans, when they get the chance, are going to strip democrats of their committee assignments without cause?

That's wildly different from removing someone from their committees b/c they called for the assassination of the Speaker of the House and have accused Hillary Clinton of satanic worship and pedophilia. If republicans ever choose to go down that road, that is a battle they will eventually lose, and will do nothing in the long run but completely obliterate any and all remaining democratic resistance to the ideas of abolishing the filibuster, adding DC and Puerto Rico, and banning Congressional gerrymandering. Gerrymandering and DC and Puerto Rico not being states are pretty much the only way republicans have a shot at being in the majority in the first place.
The cause would be retaliation, with whatever Fox News outrage de jour as a pretext. I'm not saying they will do that, or that anyone will care about this stuff in 23 months, but that is the threat. It's baffling how people don't understand the simple idea that any parliamentary procedure can be used both ways and that "but this person actually was bad!" means very little in politics.

As for the Dems doing all the things you mention, they would need the Senate to do that, and they would need Senators who care about whatever internal drama is going on in the lower house of Congress. But sure, maybe hypothetical retaliation will result in even more hypothetical retaliation.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #421 on: February 04, 2021, 11:30:53 PM »

Liz Cheney voted NO on removing MTG from committees. She also just released some BS statement.

Liz Cheney resistance hero for January 13 2021 - February 4 2021.

Lol 😂 why?!!
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #422 on: February 05, 2021, 01:23:00 AM »
« Edited: February 05, 2021, 01:32:03 AM by lfromnj »

On 2nd thought I am actually a bit less opposed to what happened in terms of precedent setting due to remembering what happened  to Amash after he became an independent. Amash lost his committee seats as the GOP would obviously not provide any and both parties wouldn't give up 1 and 1.Let this system burn down Tongue. Better only that the pure majority party have committee seats than a bipartisan rigging game to prevent any independent parties.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #423 on: February 05, 2021, 01:59:59 AM »

The cause would be retaliation, with whatever Fox News outrage de jour as a pretext. I'm not saying they will do that, or that anyone will care about this stuff in 23 months, but that is the threat. It's baffling how people don't understand the simple idea that any parliamentary procedure can be used both ways and that "but this person actually was bad!" means very little in politics.

As for the Dems doing all the things you mention, they would need the Senate to do that, and they would need Senators who care about whatever internal drama is going on in the lower house of Congress. But sure, maybe hypothetical retaliation will result in even more hypothetical retaliation.

"Retaliation" is not a cause. A cause is something that someone has done to legitimately warrant being fired from their job, or in this case, being removed from a committee. Republicans exacting some warped idea of revenge for democrats doing the right thing by removing a violent, terrorist sympathizing bigot from House committees is not a cause. Omar or Ocasio-Cortez would have to do (or say) something similarly beyond the pale like Greene has for it to be "cause".

Now, sure, House republicans could do what you're saying....but, again....it wouldn't be for "cause", it would be for rank politics. And, again, if they ever went down that road, the next time dems had the trifecta, they would likely destroy republicans' chance to hold either chamber with the exception of extreme pro-republican wave years. So.....good luck with that.

And yeh.....senators would definitely care about "lower house" drama when that drama is members being kicked off committees for no reason. Do that and see what happens to republican senators and their precious SCOTUS majority.
LtNOWIS

« Reply #424 on: February 05, 2021, 04:30:02 AM »

"Retaliation" is not a cause. A cause is something that someone has done to legitimately warrant being fired from their job, or in this case, being removed from a committee. Republicans exacting some warped idea of revenge for democrats doing the right thing by removing a violent, terrorist sympathizing bigot from House committees is not a cause. Omar or Ocasio-Cortez would have to do (or say) something similarly beyond the pale like Greene has for it to be "cause".

Now, sure, House republicans could do what you're saying....but, again....it wouldn't be for "cause", it would be for rank politics. And, again, if they ever went down that road, the next time dems had the trifecta, they would likely destroy republicans' chance to hold either chamber with the exception of extreme pro-republican wave years. So.....good luck with that.

And yeh.....senators would definitely care about "lower house" drama when that drama is members being kicked off committees for no reason. Do that and see what happens to republican senators and their precious SCOTUS majority.

"When they do something it's rank politics, when we do something it's high-minded, apolitical defense of the institution."

How high on your own supply do you have to be to both believe that's true, and believe that the truth will matter in these circumstances? I bet you think the Democrats were clearly morally correct over the past 12 years as well. But guess what, that's evidently not good enough to win a national election. The other party behaving in a sh**tty way is not going to reliably backfire on them or inspire your party to reach new heights of ruthless efficiency.

All of the horrors and shocking behavior of the Trump era got them a narrowly lost presidency and modest house gains. After all that, and the certification vote, and the impeachment vote, Dems still aren't united in their ruthless pursuit of huge reforms, either on a policy level or on structural matters like court-packing. The past 4 years of insanity didn't bring Democrats together to bar the GOP from power forever (if that's even possible). If you have the power and will to permanently lock the GOP out of power, just go ahead and do it now. If you don't, then I highly doubt some fresh outrage will make it possible.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies