Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:33:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24
Author Topic: Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread  (Read 26479 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2021, 01:48:59 PM »

What percentage of her voters are Young Earth creationists, and maybe more importantly, is she a Young Earth creationist herself?
A majority of white Southerners are YECers, as are ~40% of Americans. I don稚 think most Republicans have taking a stance on evolution because almost all of their voters believe in YEC. To compare such mainstream pseudo science to vigorously anti-Semitic conspiracy theories is insane.

I thought the mainstream creationist position was somewhere between Old Earth and intelligent design. When was the last time this was polled?
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #176 on: January 29, 2021, 02:00:18 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2021, 02:46:56 PM by Alex »

I think she's mentally ill. That has to be the only explanation.

This is often said as a joke but I legitimately do have mentally ill friends who are far less unmoored from reality than this woman. I think mental illness is a part of the picture perhaps but it's a very insidious combination of things in America which is causing an increasingly large number of people to behave like her.

I'm very close to someone with multiple comorbid dissociative and psychotic conditions and she's nowhere near as far gone as MTG. Her oddest views are all just speculative Christian theological concepts. Mental illness is really no excuse.

I find some of her beliefs like "forest fires are caused by  secret space lasers built by the jews", " "Zionist supremacists are conspiring to flood Europe with migrants to replace the native white populations", "Seth Rich was murdered by  MS-13 henchmen on behalf of Barack Obama" or especially "it's perfectly fine to harass school shooting survivors because they're crisis actor hired by Nazijew Jewrge Soros" and "I like posting memes about murdering my fellow Representatives because they happen to be commie traitors" to be a little more worrying and/or weird than whatever fundamentalist christian weird crap she may believe in
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #177 on: January 29, 2021, 02:02:38 PM »

This is often said as a joke but I legitimately do have mentally ill friends who are far less unmoored from reality than this woman. I think mental illness is a part of the picture perhaps but it's a very insidious combination of things in America which is causing an increasingly large number of people to behave like her.

I'm very close to someone with multiple comorbid dissociative and psychotic conditions and she's nowhere near as far gone as MTG. Her oddest views are all just speculative Christian theological concepts. Mental illness is really no excuse.

I find some of her beliefs like "forest fires are caused by  secret space lasers built by the jews", " "Zionist supremacists are conspiring to flood Europe with migrants to replace the native white populations", "was murdered by  MS-13 henchmen on behalf of Barack Obama" or especially "it's perfectly fine to harass school shooting survivors because they're crisis actor hired by Nazijew Jewrge Soros" and "I like posting memes about murdering my fellow Representatives because they happen to be commie traitors" to be a little more worrying and/or weird than whatever fundamentalist christian weird crap she may believe in

Sorry, I meant that my friend's oddest views are just speculative Christian theological concepts, as opposed to MTG who believes in way crazier and more dangerous stuff despite probably being "saner".
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #178 on: January 29, 2021, 02:03:27 PM »

I find some of her beliefs like "forest fires are caused by  secret space lasers built by the jews", " "Zionist supremacists are conspiring to flood Europe with migrants to replace the native white populations", "was murdered by  MS-13 henchmen on behalf of Barack Obama" or especially "it's perfectly fine to harass school shooting survivors because they're crisis actor hired by Nazijew Jewrge Soros" and "I like posting memes about murdering my fellow Representatives because they happen to be commie traitors" to be a little more worrying and/or weird than whatever fundamentalist christian weird crap she may believe in

A lot of these beliefs have no basis in religion.  They're just evil.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2021, 02:07:51 PM »

I thought the mainstream creationist position was somewhere between Old Earth and intelligent design. When was the last time this was polled?
To the contrary. Having grown up in a majority evangelical state - almost all of whom are YECers - there is also some debate about the existence of dinosaurs.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/261680/americans-believe-creationism.aspx (40% agreeing is also among the smallest percentage in the last 50 years)
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #180 on: January 29, 2021, 02:10:39 PM »

A lot of these beliefs have no basis in religion.  They're just evil.

Yeah. Like, the antisemitism has obvious (and deeply regrettable) Christian antecedents, but publicly posting memes about one's coworkers deserving to be murdered isn't based on any religious or even ideological tenet, it's just being a terrible, dangerous, brutish person.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #181 on: January 29, 2021, 02:11:55 PM »

To the contrary. Having grown up in a majority evangelical state - almost all of whom are YECers - there is also some debate about the existence of dinosaurs.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/261680/americans-believe-creationism.aspx (40% agreeing is also among the smallest percentage in the last 50 years)
Polling on this issue is generally terrible and seems designed to find a high percentage of people rejecting evolution in some form or other. The correct questions to ask are:
1) Based on what you have heard, do you think that the theory of evolution is mostly true or mostly false?
2) Do you think that the theory of evolution should be taught in school?

When asked this way, IIRC around 2/3 of the population believes in evolution.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #182 on: January 29, 2021, 02:18:10 PM »

At this stage it's just waiting to see what actually gets her expelled in some form.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2021, 02:26:12 PM »

At this stage it's just waiting to see what actually gets her expelled in some form.

Nah, she値l run against Warnock in 2022 or Osoff in 2026 and get crushed in the GE.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #184 on: January 29, 2021, 02:32:14 PM »

Nah, she’ll run against Warnock in 2022 or Osoff in 2026 and get crushed in the GE.

If she vacates her seat, I'm honestly curious as to whether she gets replaced by someone who somehow manages to be even worse. And if she does run statewide, the whole GOP ticket is probably going down.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2021, 02:43:50 PM »

This person should be in an asylum and yet people are discussing in a non-joking manner her future political prospects. The Republican Party and Republican voters need to do better. This is a drag on the future progress of this country.
slothdem

« Reply #186 on: January 29, 2021, 03:24:57 PM »

Nah, she値l run against Warnock in 2022 or Osoff in 2026 and get crushed in the GE.

If she vacates her seat, I'm honestly curious as to whether she gets replaced by someone who somehow manages to be even worse. And if she does run statewide, the whole GOP ticket is probably going down.

It's hard to find someone with a lower opinion of the GOP than myself, but I don't really see how her potential replacement could be worse. She is the single most deficient person ever to be elected to Congress.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #187 on: January 29, 2021, 03:41:52 PM »

It's hard to find someone with a lower opinion of the GOP than myself, but I don't really see how her potential replacement could be worse. She is the single most deficient person ever to be elected to Congress.

There are worse possibilities who could plausibly win a Republican primary in GA-14.  Lin Wood jumps to mind.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #188 on: January 29, 2021, 03:47:42 PM »

bilaps
« Reply #189 on: January 29, 2021, 04:31:46 PM »

She raised 1.6m in a week from all 50 states lol
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #190 on: January 29, 2021, 04:36:10 PM »

Well, yeah, there are a lot of genuinely bad people in this country. Similarly crankish and violent leftist candidates have raised a ton of money from small donors too, they just tend not to actually win races.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #191 on: January 29, 2021, 04:42:02 PM »

Come 2022, I feel like the Democrat who runs against her will end up raising an insane amount. It'll be a Harrison/McGrath situation on steroids.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2021, 04:42:10 PM »

I'd disagree. Are you forgetting people like Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms, Benjamin Tillman, Theodore Bilbo, and John C. Calhoun? Taylor-Greene certainly is one of the most reprehensible individuals ever to be elected to Congress, but these odious characters were far more damaging and insidious than her.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2021, 04:46:03 PM »

I'd disagree. Are you forgetting people like Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms, Benjamin Tillman, Theodore Bilbo, and John C. Calhoun? Taylor-Greene certainly is one of the most reprehensible individuals ever to be elected to Congress, but these odious characters were far more damaging and insidious than her.

Those were giants of the Senate. I don't think he's talking solely about moral deficiencies.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2021, 04:53:52 PM »

Those were giants of the Senate. I don't think he's talking solely about moral deficiencies.

I wouldn't consider racists and segregationists to be "giants". That's a title I reserve for upright people.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2021, 05:01:36 PM »

I wouldn't consider racists and segregationists to be "giants". That's a title I reserve for upright people.

Okay, even if you don't respect them as people, it's beyond dispute that people like John Calhoun were of much greater ability and consequence in American history than MTG could ever dream of being.
slothdem

« Reply #196 on: January 29, 2021, 05:02:54 PM »

I am not forgetting segregationists and slaveholders. Is there any doubt that if MTG was alive during those time periods she would be anything other than a voracious defender of slavery and segregation? Heck, is there any doubt that, as of TODAY, that she believes races shouldn't mix? And yes, I said deficient, referring to all her capacities and not just her morality (which obviously sucks). John Calhoun was an evil man, but there's no doubt he was capable. MTG is just a vile nothing, completely unable to appreciate the scope of her powers or the responsibilities of her office beyond her racist, conspiratorial, fascist sh**tposting.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #197 on: January 29, 2021, 05:13:56 PM »

I am not forgetting segregationists and slaveholders. Is there any doubt that if MTG was alive during those time periods she would be anything other than a voracious defender of slavery and segregation? Heck, is there any doubt that, as of TODAY, that she believes races shouldn't mix? And yes, I said deficient, referring to all her capacities and not just her morality (which obviously sucks). John Calhoun was an evil man, but there's no doubt he was capable. MTG is just a vile nothing, completely unable to appreciate the scope of her powers or the responsibilities of her office beyond her racist, conspiratorial, fascist sh**tposting.

I certainly think that Taylor-Greene's intellectual abilities meet a very low standard, but there have been members of Congress who've been far more damaging than her, and even more worthy of our condemnation.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #198 on: January 29, 2021, 05:52:43 PM »

Sorry, I meant that my friend's oddest views are just speculative Christian theological concepts, as opposed to MTG who believes in way crazier and more dangerous stuff despite probably being "saner".

I mean, at the risk of playing armchair psychiatrist, isn't that perhaps indicative that MTG is indeed bona fide mentally ill even if at least superficially high functioning, rather than merely eccentric and a sucker for every conspiracy theory on the right-wing blogosphere?

I mean, I get it that because she's a white blond lady people are far more willing to write off her embracing Bizarro conspiracy theories that often cross the line into being outright homicidal as " mental illness", whereas say a black or Latino gang banger shoots up a street corner, or some radicalized Muslim commits an act of violent terrorism they are inevitably just written off as evil and / or religious fanatics. But notwithstanding that cultural double standard, doesn't everything this woman proclaims scream that she is still legitimately crazy?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #199 on: January 29, 2021, 05:55:30 PM »

Well, yeah, there are a lot of genuinely bad people in this country. Similarly crankish and violent leftist candidates have raised a ton of money from small donors too, they just tend not to actually win races.

At the risk of being pedantic since you noted that such " similarly cranky and violent leftist candidates" usually don't actually get elected, can you identify even a single such failed candidate as a left-wing equivalent to MTG?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies