Hmmmm.. What do we think about this Politico article?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:33:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hmmmm.. What do we think about this Politico article?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hmmmm.. What do we think about this Politico article?  (Read 1246 times)
EastwoodS

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2021, 04:25:41 PM »
« edited: February 02, 2021, 02:35:40 PM by EastwoodS »

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/10/trump-2024-campaign-456692
Ron DeSantis enthusiast
FranciscoM97

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 04:38:22 PM »

He will be 78 by 2024 (like Biden, I know), but he will be very old to run another time, also let's see if he isn't in jail or something, as far as I know, he has serious demands when he no longer has presidential privileges
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 05:31:25 PM »

Everyone knows that the Capitol Riots will be the #1 top issue in 2024, so Trump is obviously DOA. it's not like he has a 75% approval among Republicans or anything...
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 07:23:37 PM »

Everyone knows that the Capitol Riots will be the #1 top issue in 2024, so Trump is obviously DOA. it's not like he has a 75% approval among Republicans or anything...

I understand that you're being sarcastic, but I do think that in the minds of the vast majority of voters, the Capitol attack will be associated with Trump more than anything else from his term, especially since he's lost his platform both politically and on social media to distract from it and redirect attention. This is the note he's gone out on and if he tries to make a comeback, this will be the most recent Trump-related thing people remember, especially since we're going to get a never-ending drip-drip-drip story with all the lawsuits and investigations.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 07:25:59 PM »

I understand that you're being sarcastic, but I do think that in the minds of the vast majority of voters, the Capitol attack will be associated with Trump more than anything else from his term, especially since he's lost his platform both politically and on social media to distract from it and redirect attention. This is the note he's gone out on and if he tries to make a comeback, this will be the most recent Trump-related thing people remember, especially since we're going to get a never-ending drip-drip-drip story with all the lawsuits and investigations.

His approval among Republicans has gone down to 60% just recently as well.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 07:27:13 PM »

That's still way too good though, and that's still enough to show up and give him a win in the primaries again.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 07:52:36 PM »

That's still way too good though, and that's still enough to show up and give him a win in the primaries again.

Not necessarily. Didn’t some polls even before this show more Republicans than not preferred a different nominee next time?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 07:53:08 PM »

Not necessarily. Didn’t some polls even before this show more Republicans than not preferred a different nominee next time?

If you still trust polls, I guess.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 09:52:07 PM »

I think it was a Pew Research Poll that showed Trump had a 75% approval rating among Republican and Republican lean voters but only 42% said they would vote for him in a GOP primary.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 11:08:43 PM »

I think it was a Pew Research Poll that showed Trump had a 75% approval rating among Republican and Republican lean voters but only 42% said they would vote for him in a GOP primary.
That's about the same % he got in 2016, even with the Capitol Riots fresh in everyone's minds.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 11:11:42 PM »

I'd say that's still enough to be a plurality assuming the primary field isn't too large.

If he runs then I don't see any other populist republicans running.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 11:19:51 PM »

Interesting.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 11:23:08 PM »

It did hurt him politically, plus there is some chance he will be disqualified. He was looking much better January 4th.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 07:21:09 PM »

A thought dawned on me that the decline in Trump's approval, even if still way better than he deserves, might be out of embarrassment by supporters of his now seeing what kind of people they are forced to be associated with after the whole Capitol siege. I know that I would feel ashamed and remorseful if I was a Trump supporter and saw a bunch of paunchy bearded weirdos  championing white supremacist, antisemitic, neo-Confederate, conspiracy theory based bulls*** as they violently defaced a symbol of our democracy and maimed or killed members of law enforcement. I would feel as if "the libs" were proven right all along. Then again, the ability to feel shame is why I am not, and never will be, a Trump supporter. But the fact that there is a decline at all in Trump's approvals does at least suggest that some Republicans are able to feel humiliation, certainly not many though. But it's something.

It's still damning that it took something like as extreme as this for that self-reflection to possibly occur though. I am not going to start patting these folks on the back and declaring them as heroes. They're still culpable too in some ways for this culmination of Trump's presidency.
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 07:56:51 PM »

The capital storming definitely hurt his chances, especially in a GE, but he would likely still be a strong frontrunner in a 2024 GOP primary if he chose to run (assuming he is even eligible).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies