Book Recommendations on French North America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:49:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Book Recommendations on French North America
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Book Recommendations on French North America  (Read 409 times)
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2021, 05:02:47 PM »

I've read through a lot of what I currently have on hand, and wanted to start looking into a new topic. I've always been intrigued by France's colonization of North America but I know relatively little about. I was wondering if any of y'all have an interesting things to share about this topic or recommendations for books. I'm particularly interested in French colonization of Canada, New England, and Louisiana so if y'all have books pertaining to those specific regions let me know about them.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 11:09:09 PM »

Champlain's Dream is a great book about the founding of New France, up to early-to-mid 1600s. It tells the story of Samuel de Champlain, coming from a background experiencing the religious conflicts of 16th c. France, hoping to build a more peaceful alternative in the New World, and his efforts in building settlements there and establishing alliances with various native peoples.   

At some point I'd like to read the books of the series France and England in North America by the popular 19th c. historian Francis Parkman; whatever flaws it may have I expect it will make for engaging reading and give a good general overview.  And I intend to read the Ordeal of the Longhouse, for a more Iroqouis-centered perspective of this period.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 03:46:42 PM »

Champlain's Dream is a great book about the founding of New France, up to early-to-mid 1600s. It tells the story of Samuel de Champlain, coming from a background experiencing the religious conflicts of 16th c. France, hoping to build a more peaceful alternative in the New World, and his efforts in building settlements there and establishing alliances with various native peoples.   z

At some point I'd like to read the books of the series France and England in North America by the popular 19th c. historian Francis Parkman; whatever flaws it may have I expect it will make for engaging reading and give a good general overview.  And I intend to read the Ordeal of the Longhouse, for a more Iroqouis-centered perspective of this period.
Thanks for the recs, I'll check them out. Is Champlain's Dream particularly dry? I like biographies but found that a lot of them ended being either bone dry to read or overtly masturbatory.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies