Can SCOTUS overturn an impeachment conviction?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:28:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can SCOTUS overturn an impeachment conviction?  (Read 606 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2021, 11:38:31 PM »

One the one hand, it seems like this would be intruding into the perogative of the Congress to be a check on the Executive.

One the other hand, it is possible that the Congress could convict the impeached of a "crime" that is actually activity that is protected by the Constitution, like speech or assembly, or violates the 4th or 5th amendment in some way.   Does SCOTUS intervene if petitioned?  If not, does the impeachment constitute precedent?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 11:40:04 PM »

I have no doubt if such a case was brought to them they'd just rule impeachment a "political question" and remove any jurisdiction over it.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 11:43:26 PM »

I have no doubt if such a case was brought to them they'd just rule impeachment a "political question" and remove any jurisdiction over it.

They already did, in 1993's Nixon v. United States.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 03:05:18 PM »

Yes, it does seem that addressed it. 

but I can imagine at least one hypothetical where they would have to take it up again: If someone was impeached for something that was a part of their religion, due to the "no religious Test" clause.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 04:01:13 PM »

Yes, it does seem that addressed it. 

but I can imagine at least one hypothetical where they would have to take it up again: If someone was impeached for something that was a part of their religion, due to the "no religious Test" clause.

Eh, that'd arguably still constitute a nonjusticiable political question, since the Religious Test clause only applies to qualifications for office & conviction in & of itself only removes the impeached official from office as opposed to disqualifying them. Now, if the Senate were to then go ahead & disqualify said individual from holding office again in the future as well, then that'd potentially make for an interesting case, but even then, I don't know if the Court would be all that inclined to take it up.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 11:05:19 PM »

If it was done in a procedurally improper way, yes. If they simply find that the evidence doesn't support the conviction, no. Technically they could, but then they would be in Guardian Council territory.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies