UK parliamentary boundary review (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:55:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK parliamentary boundary review (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK parliamentary boundary review  (Read 20281 times)
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« on: May 10, 2021, 01:43:15 PM »

Is it possible to engineer a Labour seat in Cornwall? I think Truro, Falmouth and Redruth are more amenable.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 03:00:16 PM »

Is it possible to engineer a Labour seat in Cornwall? I think Truro, Falmouth and Redruth are more amenable.
update: after some finagling I was able to make this:

this is a Cornwall Labourmander. Orange and red are probably winnable for Labour?

Red looks good. Though it might be tough to get a Labour Party to appeal to both - I think Truro is quite liberal and pro-EU whereas Redruth had strong UKIP support. In a way like the Red Wall/London distinction.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 02:56:06 PM »

Like Tack, I chose to attempt a region for fun and I chose to do London, I don't expect it to be any good

It does seem like London needs a new seat due to population growth though

You’ve managed to make only safe seats out of Westminster, Kensington & Chelsea, and Hammersmith & Fulham by the way.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 04:09:10 AM »

Like Tack, I chose to attempt a region for fun and I chose to do London, I don't expect it to be any good

It does seem like London needs a new seat due to population growth though

You’ve managed to make only safe seats out of Westminster, Kensington & Chelsea, and Hammersmith & Fulham by the way.

At least in K & C and H & F that's not that unlikely, though, is it?  A return to the 1997-2010 arrangement where the Labour areas in northern Kensington are put with the areas in the current Westminster North seat, leaving a fairly safe Tory Kensington & Chelsea, seems quite likely to make a comeback.

London is tricky because it's been a bit unlucky with the allocation algorithm.  Its entitlement is quite a bit closer to 76 than to 75 but it only gets 75 seats, so the average seat size needs to be over 74,000, while the upper electorate limit is still the same as everywhere else.  There are also some large wards in some boroughs, and while splitting them is an option we don't have the data to do this yet.

One thing I'd avoid doing is crossing the Thames, except maybe within the borough of Richmond, and certainly not east of the City.

Couldn't you combine the current Two Cities seat with some of Camden, and then add some of the Tory areas in Two Cities to the current Westminster North, thereby making the two a little less safe?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 06:14:39 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2021, 06:18:22 AM by Geoffrey Howe »

How can I remove wards from constituencies as I go along?

Also, are there any estimates by polling district?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 07:02:00 AM »

How can I remove wards from constituencies as I go along?

Set them to "Unassigned" (at the top of the constituency list in Boundary Assistant).

Also, are there any estimates by polling district?

Not in general yet, but it's possible to find figures for some councils.

Thanks. Which councils (is there a website)?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 06:53:57 PM »

Can anyone post a picture of London?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 04:18:49 PM »

It's certainly a helpful step in that direction. Oxshott and Cobham are the two most abysmally Tory parts of the constituency. Word has it Raab pulled strings to not lose Oxshott; if so, he's ended up just as badly off, assuming the boundaries proposed stay the same.

Of course, the fact that Raab eked out a win last time was due to a near total obliteration of the Labour vote, partially due to a very weak local candidate and partially due to Corbyn derangement. Neither of those things are likely to be in play next time.

What does this mean as opposed to simply Tory?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 04:33:13 PM »

It's certainly a helpful step in that direction. Oxshott and Cobham are the two most abysmally Tory parts of the constituency. Word has it Raab pulled strings to not lose Oxshott; if so, he's ended up just as badly off, assuming the boundaries proposed stay the same.

Of course, the fact that Raab eked out a win last time was due to a near total obliteration of the Labour vote, partially due to a very weak local candidate and partially due to Corbyn derangement. Neither of those things are likely to be in play next time.

Guess.

Wealthy?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 05:31:54 PM »

Guess.

Wealthy?

Apparently.

"A survey in 2010 by the Daily Telegraph asserted it (Oxshott) was "the village with most footballers" in England and mentioned other celebrities who chose to live in the village"

"A great many of Oxshott's residential areas are on private roads, gated off and inaccessible to the general public. This, combined with the large and desirable properties that form much of the village's housing stock, contributes to Oxshott's status as the "most expensive village in England"

I drove past once on the A3 and can confirm it is very wealthy, and not particularly tasteful.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies