Larry Hogan creates Maryland redistricting commission with executive order
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:50:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Larry Hogan creates Maryland redistricting commission with executive order
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Larry Hogan creates Maryland redistricting commission with executive order  (Read 2466 times)
neostassenite31
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2021, 05:20:14 PM »
« edited: January 12, 2021, 05:23:39 PM by neostassenite31 »

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/01/12/gov-larry-hogan-launches-maryland-redistricting-commission/

Seems like unilateral action by Hogan with no involvement from the state legislature, which by the way has veto-proof Democratic majorities.

Pretty smart political maneuver to force the hand of Democrats. I wonder how the MD Dems will react to this  
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 05:33:48 PM »

They will ignore it and draw a 7-1 or 8-0 map, if the Democrats have a say, they will just ignore it, if the Democrats don't have a say, I imagine a lawsuit that seeks to limit the jurisdiction of gubernatorial executive orders
neostassenite31
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 05:45:23 PM »

They will ignore it and draw a 7-1 or 8-0 map, if the Democrats have a say, they will just ignore it, if the Democrats don't have a say, I imagine a lawsuit that seeks to limit the jurisdiction of gubernatorial executive orders

Any map must be approved by a majority in the state legislature (and signed by the governor or have his veto overwritten).

"Redistricting commissions" don't have any authority in MD as none were delegated to them by the legislature in the first place, they can only recommend maps   
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 05:49:53 PM »

It's true that Maryland is one of the most gerrymandered states in the country, but it only costs the GOP one seat vs. a fair map. Meanwhile Republicans seem to turn a blind eye to the countless potential Democratic seats that are lost to gerrymandering in OH, TX, et cetera. This would be a good move to take on nationwide, but in just one state it's pointless unilateral disarmament, assuming the legislature will even heed the commission's desires.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 05:59:50 PM »

Also, couldn’t this set the precedent for Kelly, Beshear, JBE and Evers to do this in their states?
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 07:12:28 PM »

Also, couldn’t this set the precedent for Kelly, Beshear, JBE and Evers to do this in their states?

as an american, hopefully.

as a republican, also hopefully. We should be forced to compete. Good on hogan.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 07:29:42 PM »

Hopefully Democrats go with an 8-0 map and get rid of Nazi sympathizer Andy Harris.

(Normally I'm in favor of fair maps nationwide but if Republicans are going to do it, Democrats should as well.)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 07:38:01 PM »

Hopefully Democrats go with an 8-0 map and get rid of Nazi sympathizer Andy Harris.

(Normally I'm in favor of fair maps nationwide but if Republicans are going to do it, Democrats should as well.)

Harris is one of the most reprehensible members of Congress, and casts a very black mark on Maryland. All of the state's other Representatives are Generic Democrats who have invited no controversy and are very much within the mainstream of the Party; in fact, most of Maryland's major politicians of both parties have traditionally been establishment or moderate. It's even more notable, because the last Republican to hold the seat before Harris, Wayne Gilchrist, was himself a relatively moderate Republican.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 07:43:47 PM »

The once idealistic and naive me of the past would have been happy to see this, but after four years of the Trump administration that person doesn't exist anymore and has been replaced with a jaded cynic who wants to see nothing but Republican election losses, even if brought about by gerrymandering.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 10:42:57 PM »

It's true that Maryland is one of the most gerrymandered states in the country, but it only costs the GOP one seat vs. a fair map. Meanwhile Republicans seem to turn a blind eye to the countless potential Democratic seats that are lost to gerrymandering in OH, TX, et cetera. This would be a good move to take on nationwide, but in just one state it's pointless unilateral disarmament, assuming the legislature will even heed the commission's desires.

I doubt Larry Hogan is in any position to do this.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 12:50:22 AM »

The once idealistic and naive me of the past would have been happy to see this, but after four years of the Trump administration that person doesn't exist anymore and has been replaced with a jaded cynic who wants to see nothing but Republican election losses, even if brought about by gerrymandering.

To "kill" in order not to be "killed"? That's all US politics came to, and that's why it became so uninteresting to observe (even less - follow) it from abroad.. Sad...
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 01:13:04 AM »

To "kill" in order not to be "killed"? That's all US politics came to, and that's why it became so uninteresting to observe (even less - follow) it from abroad.. Sad...

bruh did you not see the fascists in the Capitol on 1/6? surely you're not gonna both sides this one
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 02:29:44 AM »

Kind of hilariously this may work, since Hogan came into office at the right time and right now the Maryland Supreme Court has a 4/7 majority of Hogan appointees.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 02:44:59 AM »

Say what you will about the Republicans, they do whatever they can to maximize their naked power, even things a forum full of amateur psephologists would never have thought of. The Democrats would do well to learn to be as cutthroat.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 08:44:32 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2021, 08:48:10 AM by Liberal Hack »

Maryland’s constitution also lays out the process by which legislative districts are redrawn. Article III, Section 5 requires the Governor to conduct public hearings and introduce a legislative district plan on the first day of the legislative session in the 2nd year following each census. This will occur on January 11, 2012. The plan takes effect on the 45th day of the legislative session unless the General Assembly enacts its own plan before the deadline.
The Governor is not legally required to draft a congressional plan, however, the Governor traditionally introduces a congressional plan to the General Assembly for consideration. This year, a special session is anticipated to finalize congressional districts in time for the 2012 election cycle.
http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/Other/Redistricting/Redistricting.htm
This is only a suggestion that I'm sure the general assembly has time to laugh at before filling it in the appropriate bin and drawing a nice clean 8-0 map.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 02:35:56 PM »

The MDDEM will try to get rid of Andy Harris

Would Frank Kratovil want to go back to Congress?

discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 02:40:27 PM »

An 8-0 map is very possible, but I'm not sure if the state legislature, as overwhelmingly Democratic as it is, has any interest in provoking Hogan's wrath and fueling the Republican effort and fervor for the 2022 gubernatorial election, in which everyone's hoping Franchot will coast to victory.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 02:49:11 PM »

as an american, hopefully.

as a republican, also hopefully. We should be forced to compete. Good on hogan.

What makes this somewhat interesting is that Hogan has now appointed a majority of Maryland's highest court.  While they had to be confirmed by the heavily Dem state senate, so I doubt they are aggressively partisan, it's at least plausible that they strike down the map like in NC and PA. 
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2021, 07:47:31 PM »

The Republican Party cannot be trusted to appreciate and defend our republic. Yes, I wish it didn't have to be this way, but last week's ransacking really made the stakes clearer than ever.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2021, 08:09:52 PM »

Didn’t Evers do basically the same thing in Wisconsin?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 06:28:14 AM »

bruh did you not see the fascists in the Capitol on 1/6? surely you're not gonna both sides this one

Of course - i did, and i am 101% against Trump and FOR impeachment. But what i formulated is, politically, an official politics of both parties now: scorn for center and dissent generally, no holds barred policy towards opponents, no compromises, but lot of accusations (many of them - false), and so on. So, plague must go on both houses...
swf541

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2021, 11:15:09 AM »

Hopefully MD Dems finally draw a good 8-0 map.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 11:20:16 AM »

Evers already did lol,

Kelly should just start setting up the lawsuits although the KS GOP is incompetent.
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 11:27:54 AM »

Hopefully MD Dems finally draw a good 8-0 map.

The proud revelry that would ensue across the state in reaction to the long-awaited end of the era of Andy Harris would be delicious.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2021, 11:33:01 AM »

Evers already did lol,

Kelly should just start setting up the lawsuits although the KS GOP is incompetent.

Kelly has cavalry support from the state supreme court.  JBE and Evers can block it directly just by vetoing.  Hogan and especially Beshear are likely out of luck. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies