Opinion of the dropouts: Yellowhammer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:52:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of the dropouts: Yellowhammer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Opinion of the dropouts: Yellowhammer  (Read 3505 times)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2020, 08:54:20 AM »

His attitude of "if you're not a Hoppean Jeff Davis fanboy like me you're a communist" was tedious, unfunny, pompous, and stupid. Good bye HP.

He barely even had a consistent ideology. After George Floyd died he said something about it being a reminder that most cops were deeply evil, but a few weeks later he was calling for the army to be deployed to cities. Some libertarian.

Look at Dule and lfromnj. Doesn't take long to figure out the common thread.

"Scratch a libertarian..."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2020, 09:31:23 AM »

His attitude of "if you're not a Hoppean Jeff Davis fanboy like me you're a communist" was tedious, unfunny, pompous, and stupid. Good bye HP.

He barely even had a consistent ideology. After George Floyd died he said something about it being a reminder that most cops were deeply evil, but a few weeks later he was calling for the army to be deployed to cities. Some libertarian.

Look at Dule and lfromnj. Doesn't take long to figure out the common thread.

"Scratch a libertarian..."

I don't even mean anything sinister.

The libertarian mind (in my interpretation) is thus:

[First principle/core assumption:
The individual in his or her negative liberty is sacrosanct.

Observation 1:
Law enforcement is a tool of the (collectivist) state and (ironically) is rarely accountable to the law. It violates negative liberty. This includes jailing and expropriation (see: civil asset forfeiture here in the US). It is bad.

Observation 2:
Riots involve destruction of private property and violence against persons. They are bad.]

YH's calling for the military to enter is presumably in response to a threat he finds more immediate and existential. Where you want to say that crosses into "fascism" is in the eye of the beholder, but as discussed elsewhere (see my thread in Political Debate), some state response to transgressions by private individuals and groups can easily be justified from a "libertarian" standpoint. Also from a more cultural standpoint, YH likely views law enforcement as the intrusion of a certain type of regularory elite into people's natural/organic lives (particularly in rural communities).

Is this somewhat contradictory? Perhaps, but I don't think it's beyond imagination for a libertarian to favor a system where personal freedom and property are protected from both others and the state (to a greater extent than they already are). It would, however, involve towing a fine line and (perhaps) allowing for substantial leeway in "self defense", "defense of property", and "corporate security" to fill gaps law enforcement would be restrained from entering.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2020, 09:36:00 AM »

Trusting soldiers more than cops isn't an unusual position at all, although Yellowhammer interpreted and applied that position in a hilariously authoritarian and no-nuance way.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2020, 09:42:11 AM »
« Edited: December 17, 2020, 09:46:19 AM by Torie »

The son of Milton Friedman whom I knew in Chicago squared the circle by explaining that you just hire your own police force. I like that idea as long as they are male and buffed. (We took a trip together btw to a Libertarian convention in Philadelphia where I got stoned with Dana Rohrabacher (who then coincidentally actually became my Congressman; his switch from pot to booze was not a good choice for him).

I might further note that in that certain utopia commonly known as Manila in the Philippines, at your front gate you just have a couple of guys in flack jackets with machine guns. It works out really well. The cost of theft insurance is really low.

So with that problem out of the way, what's next?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2020, 10:08:20 AM »

Trusting soldiers more than cops isn't an unusual position at all...

Very much in the tradition of the American far right, no?

And Torie, I'll have to assume you're being sarcastic, given the obvious likely downsides of entrusting affairs of the state to PMCs.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2020, 10:10:40 AM »

And Torie, I'll have to assume you're being sarcastic, given the obvious likely downsides of entrusting affairs of the state to PMCs.

I hadn't considered that aspect.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2020, 10:10:46 AM »

Absolutely, although I hope it's not only a far-right position because increasingly it's one I share. But we all know I'm one of the most conservative posters on the forum.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2020, 10:39:31 AM »

Absolutely, although I hope it's not only a far-right position because increasingly it's one I share. But we all know I'm one of the most conservative posters on the forum.

Well I was thinking more along the lines of the Waco/Ruby Ridge crowd, but fair enough.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2020, 10:53:02 AM »
« Edited: December 17, 2020, 10:57:54 AM by Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

I mean, I can't speak for the US; but having a police force that is at least partially military in its nature is far from unheard of in many European countries.

The big role model for that would be the French Gendarmerie; or its equivalents in other countries like the Italian Carabinieri or the Spanish Guardia Civil.

I can't talk for the Gendarmerie or the Carabinieri; but at least here the GC (as compared to the standard "Policia Nacional") is more military based in its command structure and operations. Gendarmeries in general tend to fall in a sort of grey area between the army and the police.

In terms of service though, the main difference is that the Guardia Civil tends to handle policing rural areas, acts as environmental protection police, does customs checks and acts as road police. Meanwhile the Policia Nacional handles the cities (though this is usually handled more often by the lccal police forces) as well as handles and investigates the more "serious" crimes like terrorism, money laundering, prostitution networks, etc.

Being pro-police is generally a right wing position; though preferring the GC over the PN I don't think it is really a left or right wing position. Though at least in Spain's case it would be uncommon among leftists, and probably even less common a couple decades ago; as the Guardia Civil was who launched the failed 1981 coup.

To be honest the Guardia Civil (and more broadly Spanish security forces and the military) did have a huge turnaround since the 80s. In the 80s they were seen as a reactionary bunch of people who were always only 1 step short of launching a coup. Their image has deteriorated over the past 5 years or so (because Catalonia and more recently a couple scandals with old retired generals that wish for a coup). But the Spanish police and military went from hated by most people to the most beloved institution in the country in only 2-3 decades.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2020, 10:53:08 AM »

HP. Stay and take Trump's loss like a man
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2021, 06:07:09 PM »

He scrambled his password, so he's not coming back.

How did he come back, then?

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=361302.msg7911599#new
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2021, 04:29:52 AM »

Neoconfederate. HP
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2021, 02:29:01 AM »

There was very little Neo about it. HP among hp's
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2021, 09:51:24 AM »

Indeed, he was more of a paleoconfederate.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2021, 11:30:29 AM »

Neutral but his "All Democrats are evil commies" shtick needs to stop.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2021, 01:55:02 PM »

Yellowhammer is a great amigo. Man of the people. FF
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2021, 01:56:57 PM »

Maybe I'm just some evil communist, but I still think it's bad that he thinks it's insane not to be discriminatory toward people like me.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies