What post of yours do you most regret posting?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:41:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What post of yours do you most regret posting?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What post of yours do you most regret posting?  (Read 1626 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2021, 07:06:52 AM »

Time for a mea culpa.

The ones where:
- I predicted Conor Lamb would lose the PA special election
- I predicted Trump would withdraw Kavanaugh from nomination
- I predicted Northam would bow to pressure and resign (on three separate occasions)
- I genuinely though Gillibrand was going to be the 2020 frontrunner
- I thought Claire McCaskill was going to safely be re-elected

2018 was not a good year for predictions on my end...
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2021, 12:24:16 PM »

The absolutely unhinged anti-TPP screed during my bizarre Romeny-M5S moderate hero phase from 2013 to 2015, for which Oakvale rightfully chewed me out.

You had a political phase where you were at the same time a moderate hero, a Romney supporter, and a M5S supporter? WHAT THE HECK?

Yeah it was bad.

Basically from before 2012 I was a Democratic hack, but in a childish "Democrats good, Republicans are evil people somewhere else" way. Starting in 2012, I realized that many family members (including my father) and friends are Republicans, and of course was maturing and realizing the world was more complicated than good vs. evil, and went through a bit of cognitive dissonance and tried justifying BOTH SIDES being good in some way. On election night 2012, I still supported Obama, but by the time I joined Atlas in summer 2013 I had buyer's remorse. I also lived in the Chicago media market and constantly heard about how awful Pat Quinn and the Illinois Democratic Party was, and really bought into Bruce Rauner's 2014 campaign about him being a Smiley sensible, moderate Republican Smiley who would fix Illinois' problems. But by summer 2015, Rauner's mask came off, and that was also the time that Trump announced he was running for President.

It was also safe for me to "experiment" with politics and the other side since in my area we had no major elections from 2013 to 2015 so me voting for Republicans for Treasurer of Indiana and for county sheriff in 2014 had no effect on anything since the Treasurer candidate was always going to win and the sheriff candidate was always going to lose. But then the 2016 campaigns began and I was forced back into reality, so my little experimental phase came to an abrupt end and by late-2015 I was firmly back in the Democratic column, and as I matured more, learned more, and began pondering ideology and shaping my own beliefs, I solidified my centre-left beliefs while toning down some of my more populist stances.

I was starting to learn more about politics abroad and 2012 was also when I started studying Italian. I had a casually positive opinion of Merkel and the CDU from studying German for 5 years at that time, and followed Germany's 2013 election and casually supported her without understanding much about the CDU. I thought Italy needed change and thought M5S was just a new, normal-ish center-left party without truly understanding the nuances of the party and Italian politics. I didn't understand how wacky they were until 2015 when I had learned enough Italian to be able to read the news and began following the discussion in the Italy General thread on here. I thought Berlusconi was a clown but kind of funny, but again I eventually reached the point where I could read Wikipedia in Italian without any help and learned about how awful he actually was.

It's actually very interesting that many of my beliefs during 2013 - 2015 could easily have made me a Sanders or Trump supporter if a few things were different in my life. I couldn't bring myself to support Sanders because I had this residual warmth for Clinton from 2008 (a lot of this was my mother's influence) and also couldn't support Trump because of how repulsed I am by anti-immigrant and anti-refugee stances.

I also am now able to understand why non-Americans who casually follow American politics would find Trump funny rather than threatening (comparable to my perception of Berlusconi) and why so many people abroad got swept up in the Sanders movement (comparable to my naive support of M5S from abroad).
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.45, S: -3.91

P P
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2021, 09:16:16 PM »

I wouldn’t say I regret the post really, but I regret that moment of innocence

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg is dead.

Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2021, 09:55:13 PM »

Some of my earlier ones.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2021, 06:54:49 PM »

Seems like someone should have mentioned something about "My Little Pony"
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2021, 06:57:13 PM »

I think a lot of my early posts were quite cringe.

A little later on, I once renamed the Deluge to something in...very poor taste directed at a specific user. Was in a rather bad headspace when I did it and have regretted it since.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2021, 07:21:50 PM »

Some of my emotional reactions to elections. I’m either a) coping hard and an emotional wreck wayyyy too publicly and b) am setting myself for disappointment later. In hindsight, it points to me needing to find better hobbies than being a talk elections blogger

Real cringe moments include the aftermath of the 2019 general elections in Great Britain. I appeared as an uneducated loser gibbering and freaking out way past what degree of emotions should be given here. Was very unprofessional and low quality compared to what I’m capable of.

I usually admit and call out my cringe posts usually in hindsight usually though.

retromike22
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2021, 03:48:31 AM »

kitten adam
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2021, 01:59:15 AM »

No offense but seems to have difficulty putting together a coherent sentence, so HP.

Click for context.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2021, 02:01:06 AM »

No offense but seems to have difficulty putting together a coherent sentence, so HP.

Blasphemy.
Sosalol
Rookie
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2021, 12:06:32 PM »

Don't have any yet
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2021, 01:35:21 PM »

All of them.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2021, 12:31:47 PM »

I forgot to mention the various posts last summer where I said I would vote for the Republican candidate over Ilhan Omar or Rashida Tlaib. Lmao

And a lot of other knee-jerk contrarian stuff, of course.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2021, 12:33:52 PM »

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon