Opinion of Ronald Reagan?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:24:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Ronald Reagan?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 158

Author Topic: Opinion of Ronald Reagan?  (Read 8894 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2021, 12:11:44 AM »

Don’t know if this goes here, but I figured whatever.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 12:28:02 AM »

I leave you with four words

(nsfw)

AZDem
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 12:28:16 AM »

Huge hypocrite.

Sold out America and is indirectly responsible for not doing more to acknowledge the AIDS epidemic before it ravaged an entire generation.

He should have been prosecuted for Iran Contra.

Also forgot he worked behind the scenes to ensure he got credit for the Iran hostage standoff, undercutting all of the real work that was done during the Carter administration.

At least the true hero and humanitarian is still alive.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 12:28:22 AM »

Probably should be in individual politics board.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 12:35:16 AM »

I tried to think of one problem in contemporary American governance and public life that couldn’t trace it’s origins to this administration and his little plutocratic revolution.
I came up with ‘Well we probably can’t pin Covid on him.’

TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 12:36:15 AM »

The fact that the Democrats on this board are calling the 7th best president ever (according to independent analysts) a HP show they aren’t as objective as they think.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/02/19/opinion/how-does-trump-stack-up-against-the-best-and-worst-presidents.html
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 12:40:41 AM »

Neutral. He did both good and bad. Voted HP as that's what most others were voting.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 12:42:04 AM »

I tried to think of one problem in contemporary American governance and public life that couldn’t trace it’s origins to this administration and his little plutocratic revolution.

A good part of the problem is a lot of people, some of whom had a very tense relationship with Reagan at various points, taking its legacy and shilling it with their spin on it.

Reagan made some mistakes, but he was far more strategic in his thinking and much more competent then 99% of Republican politicians today.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 12:42:19 AM »

The fact that the Democrats on this board are calling the 7th best president ever (according to independent analysts) a HP show they aren’t as objective as they think.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/02/19/opinion/how-does-trump-stack-up-against-the-best-and-worst-presidents.html

You can’t have objective analysis of a subjective question. That why these lists are going on generic ‘was he a successful politician’, as in how much did he accomplish not whether his accomplishments were positive or negative. Because academic historians aren’t in the business of value judgements.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 12:46:00 AM »

A good part of the problem is a lot of people, some of whom had a very tense relationship with Reagan at various points, taking its legacy and shilling it with their spin on it.

Reagan made some mistakes, but he was far more strategic in his thinking and much more competent then 99% of Republican politicians today.

You do realize how low of a bar that is, right?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 12:46:34 AM »

You can’t have objective analysis of a subjective question. That why these lists are going on generic ‘was he a successful politician’, as in how much did he accomplish not whether his accomplishments were positive or negative. Because academic historians aren’t in the business of value judgements.

If it was about being a successful politician, than John Adam’s with his one term would not be above GW Bush with his two terms, and Democrats and Republicans would be more in agreement.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 12:47:17 AM »

Okay actor, at best. Remembered for only one film role for a reason.
AZDem
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 12:48:32 AM »

Nice try. I see Reagan ranked 9th, not 7th overall. So I guess only independent and Republican scholars count? I mean, come o on, even Republican scholars rank FDR higher Reagan. The President responsible for finally spitting up the New Deal coalition. In the words of the Gipper, "There you go again."

So there were 8 better than him. He's ranked behind Obama, Truman, both Roosevelts, Eisenhower, et al. I am simply expressing my opinions of him growing as a teenager in the rural South surrounded by family members who suffered under his policies but worshipped (and still worship) the ground he walked on.

Nice try, bro.

TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 12:51:15 AM »
« Edited: January 11, 2021, 12:55:55 AM by TheReckoning »

Nice try. I see Reagan ranked 9th, not 7th overall. So I guess only independent and Republican scholars count? I mean, comone on, even Republican scholars rank FDR higher Reagan. In the words of the Gipper, "There you go again."

So there were 8 better than him. He's ranked behind Obama, Truman, both Roosevelts, Eisenhower, et al. I am simply expressing my opinions of him growing as a teenager in the rural South sourrounded by family members who suffered under his policies but worshipped the ground he walked on.

Nice try, bro.

They oversampled Democrats in their survey, and both Democrats and Republicans will be biased. So instead, I went with Independents.

And even still, 9th puts him in the top 80% of presidents. Not exactly a HP in my book.

And have you considered how well your family members under his presidency were is not the only factor in gauging the leader of 250 million people?
AZDem
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 12:58:16 AM »

Where in the article does it say that? I skimmed it but didn't see the partisan breakout.

This was telling however:
"It wasn’t just Democratic support that would carve F.D.R. on Mt. Rushmore: All groups, including Republicans, named him as most deserving of that honor.

Roosevelt, the godfather of presidential liberalism, received more than twice as many votes from Republicans as Ronald Reagan, his conservative counterpart."

It's not even close either.

Nice try. I see Reagan ranked 9th, not 7th overall. So I guess only independent and Republican scholars count? I mean, comone on, even Republican scholars rank FDR higher Reagan. In the words of the Gipper, "There you go again."

So there were 8 better than him. He's ranked behind Obama, Truman, both Roosevelts, Eisenhower, et al. I am simply expressing my opinions of him growing as a teenager in the rural South sourrounded by family members who suffered under his policies but worshipped the ground he walked on.

Nice try, bro.

They oversampled Democrats in their survey, and both Democrats and Republicans will be biased. So instead, I went with Independents.

And even still, 9th puts him in the top 80% of presidents. Not exactly a HP in my book.

And have you considered how well your family members under his presidency were is not the only factor in gauging the leader of 250 million people?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2021, 01:02:43 AM »

Where in the article does it say that? I skimmed it but didn't see the partisan breakout.

"It wasn’t just Democratic support that would carve F.D.R. on Mt. Rushmore: All groups, including Republicans, named him as most deserving of that honor.

Roosevelt, the godfather of presidential liberalism, received more than twice as many votes from Republicans as Ronald Reagan, his conservative counterpart."

Nice try, bro.

It’s literally right there in the article, where Presidents are ranked by party.

Also, I’m not really understanding you’re point. You’re saying, “FDR was better than Reagan. Therefore, Reagan sucked.” How does that make any sense? I think FDR was a FF as well, as was Obama, even though he’s ranked lower by Independent scholars than Reagan.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2021, 01:04:34 AM »

AZDem
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2021, 01:11:41 AM »

Nice try, bro.

It’s literally right there in the article, where Presidents are ranked as party.

Also, I’m not really understanding you’re point. You’re saying, “FDR was better than Reagan. Therefore, Reagan sucked.” How does that make any sense? I think FDR was a FF as well, as was Obama, even though he’s ranked lower by Independent scholars than Reagan.

Because in my experience he did. So what more do you want? I can't stand the man and never have, even when he was elected when I was in 5th grade. He was president during my formative years and I always loathed him even though I was in the minority where I grew up.

I'm sick of hearing about Reagan and his f***d up policies. I have been thinking about how his rhetoric has led us to where we are the last few days. I don't think I'm alone in this sentiment either.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2021, 01:16:59 AM »

Nice try, bro.

It’s literally right there in the article, where Presidents are ranked as party.

Because in my experience he did. So what more do you want? I can't stand the man and never have, even when he was elected when I was in 5th grade. He was president during my formative years and I always loathed him even though I was in the minority where I grew up.

I'm sick of hearing about Reagan and his f***d up policies. I have been thinking about how his rhetoric has led us to where we are the last few days. I don't think I'm alone in this sentiment either.

Of all the people responsible for the Catastrophe of Trump (especially these last few days), Reagan is the last one you want to blame. Don’t pin this on him just because he also had an “R” next to his name.

Reagan was by no means perfect, and I’m sure your families experiences are a reflection of at least some of his flaws. But I’ll never get over how he was able to put the nail in the coffin for the evil Communist Bloc.

Obama made choices that hurt me and the people I care about as well. But he still had a charm that made all but the most hateful Republicans smile.
AZDem
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2021, 01:25:56 AM »

Nice try, bro.

Of all the people responsible for the Catastrophe of Trump (especially these last few days), Reagan is the last one you want to blame. Don’t pin this on him just because he also had an “R” next to his name.

Reagan was by no means perfect, and I’m sure your families experiences are a reflection of at least some of his flaws. But I’ll never get over how he was able to put the nail in the coffin for the evil Communist Bloc.

Don't act like he was solely responsible for bringing down the Soviet Bloc. There where other forces at play from within that helped make that happen. The results didn't create some great democratic world utopia either.

Most of the policies that started the hollowing out of the middle class and demonization of others were accelerated under his administration and  were accelerated under his successors, including Bill Clinton. So don't pretend like I'm a complete partisan hack. I have lots of issues with some of Bill Clinton's policies as well, even thought I voted for him twice.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 01:29:49 AM »

Nice try, bro.

Obama made choices that hurt me and the people I care about as well. But he still had a charm that made all but the most hateful Republicans smile.

The key is that nail in the coffin was the final nail of meny hammered in over the preceding 45 years. Republicans like to mythologize Reagan is some great Slayer of the great communist Beast, when all he did was run the ball in over the goal line after the rest of the team made a 95-yard drive before bringing him in.

Seriously, name one Reagan foreign policy venture which wasn't either already supported by 98 + percent of Democrats anyway ( e. G. The Grenada invasion, supporting the mujahideen in Afghanistan which started under Carter), or wasn't a colossal mistake which did nothing to advance our victory over communism (E.G. favoring so-called constructive engagement rather than sanctions with the apartheid South African government, our support of the Nicaraguan contras which was universally reviled by every democratic government in this hemisphere , and of course led to the Iran Contra debacle).

Conservatives like to claim that the fight checks Reagan wrote the Pentagon in the 80s somehow spent communist Russia to death and push them over the edge. Unfortunately that's not true. Military documents Declassified and obtained after the fall of the Cold War demonstrated that Soviet military spending did not increase particularly much for the ladies more than the rate of inflation. Reagan baited them to try matching the spending, but the Soviets didn't bite. Instead, we spend ourselves into enormous debt and created an unparalleled precedent for deficit spending, and in the process / social programs relied on by the poor and working class set defense contractors could make a bundle ( oh, and of course Finance huge tax cuts for the wealthiest).
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2021, 01:32:15 AM »
« Edited: January 11, 2021, 01:43:03 AM by LVScreenssuck »

Look if Reagan hadn’t been supporting Guatemalan genocidaires, Miami could be Castrograd right now :eyeroll:

Also, can I also circle back to The Reckoning’s Vatican avatar? Can you please at least take it down while your salvaging over a man who supported the murderous repression of parts of the Church in Central and South American  in the name of anti-communism (and at the behest of Evangelicals locally and at home).
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2021, 01:42:19 AM »

Nice try, bro.

The key is that nail in the coffin was the final nail of meny hammered in over the preceding 45 years. Republicans like to mythologize Reagan is some great Slayer of the great communist Beast, when all he did was run the ball in over the goal line after the rest of the team made a 95-yard drive before bringing him in.

Seriously, name one Reagan foreign policy venture which wasn't either already supported by 98 + percent of Democrats anyway ( e. G. The Grenada invasion, supporting the mujahideen in Afghanistan which started under Carter), or wasn't a colossal mistake which did nothing to advance our victory over communism (E.G. favoring so-called constructive engagement rather than sanctions with the apartheid South African government, our support of the Nicaraguan contras which was universally reviled by every democratic government in this hemisphere , and of course led to the Iran Contra debacle).

Conservatives like to claim that the fight checks Reagan wrote the Pentagon in the 80s somehow spent communist Russia to death and push them over the edge. Unfortunately that's not true. Military documents Declassified and obtained after the fall of the Cold War demonstrated that Soviet military spending did not increase particularly much for the ladies more than the rate of inflation. Reagan baited them to try matching the spending, but the Soviets didn't bite. Instead, we spend ourselves into enormous debt and created an unparalleled precedent for deficit spending, and in the process / social programs relied on by the poor and working class set defense contractors could make a bundle ( oh, and of course Finance huge tax cuts for the wealthiest).

It’s not just “conservatives” who think Reagan was a good president. Even Democrats rank him in the top 3rd.

And I also don’t think you understand just how evil the government of Nicaragua was at the time. Fighting them was necessary.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2021, 01:43:30 AM »

Look if Reagan hadn’t been supporting Guatemalan genocidaires, Miami could be Castrograd right now :eyeroll:

Also, can I also circle back to The Reckoning’s Vatican avatar? Can you please at least take it down while your salvaging over a man who supported the murderous repression of parts of the Church in Central and South American  in the name of anti-communism (and at the behest of Evangelicals locally and at home).

Do you understand how evil the Communists in Nicaragua were?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2021, 01:52:15 AM »

Iran-Contra and his botching of the AIDs epidemic puts him firmly in HP territory.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies