Will The filibuster end?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:53:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will The filibuster end?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Will Democrats get rid of the filibuster for statehood? do they have the votes necessary?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Will The filibuster end?  (Read 2161 times)
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 08:14:16 PM »

No, but Democrats are going to be very creative with how they use reconciliation.
RRusso1982
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2021, 12:54:15 PM »

Chuck Schumer is not stupid.  Do you honestly think the Democrats would eliminate the filibuster knowing full well that it will come back to bite them the next time they are in the minority?
If Democrats lose the senate in 2022, they should re-instate the filibuster in the lame duck.

So you are not in favor of fairness?  You support one set of rules for the Democrats when they are in control and another set of rules for the Republicans when they are in control?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2021, 12:56:44 PM »

Chuck Schumer is not stupid.  Do you honestly think the Democrats would eliminate the filibuster knowing full well that it will come back to bite them the next time they are in the minority?
If Democrats lose the senate in 2022, they should re-instate the filibuster in the lame duck.

So you are not in favor of fairness?  You support one set of rules for the Democrats when they are in control and another set of rules for the Republicans when they are in control?

Mcconnell blocked Merrick Garland when it was Obama's turn to have pick Scalias replacement, the D's are gonna eliminate the Filibuster

Then got Kennedy to retire and Trump got 3 Judges
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2021, 01:23:58 PM »

Chuck Schumer is not stupid.  Do you honestly think the Democrats would eliminate the filibuster knowing full well that it will come back to bite them the next time they are in the minority?

So you are not in favor of fairness?  You support one set of rules for the Democrats when they are in control and another set of rules for the Republicans when they are in control?

It's a moot point, anyway, because the genie's out of the bottle at that point; the Republicans would just get rid of it immediately.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2021, 01:34:36 PM »

look at what Republicans did in the lame duck when Democrats flipped the Governorship in states like North Carolina or Wisconsin.
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/wisconsin-supreme-court-upholds-most-lame-duck-laws-curbing-powers-of-tony-evers-josh-kaul/article_b2e62e2b-d9c8-5b06-9940-d112907006a8.html
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2021, 04:45:53 PM »

Now, that the Rs are in the Minority again since 2010, now they want to make use of the Fillibuster again, after they blocked Obama's agenda, it never fails
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2021, 10:20:03 PM »

Chuck Schumer is not stupid.  Do you honestly think the Democrats would eliminate the filibuster knowing full well that it will come back to bite them the next time they are in the minority?

...Yes? Pretty obvious they’re also betting on long-term Senate control with DC/PR.

They could very easily just change the Senate rules to remove filibusters on an issue by issue basis (e.g. for statehood votes), technically leaving it intact but effectively neutering it.

^This is pretty much what’s going to happen.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2021, 10:33:37 PM »

...Yes? Pretty obvious they’re also betting on long-term Senate control with DC/PR.

They could very easily just change the Senate rules to remove filibusters on an issue by issue basis (e.g. for statehood votes), technically leaving it intact but effectively neutering it.

Lol Manchin won’t go for it.
The filibuster as it is now is safe, trust me.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2021, 10:35:45 PM »

Please don’t insult my intelligence like that.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2021, 10:43:24 PM »

Sure, Joe “I’m open to supporting Trump” Manchin won’t change his position on the filibuster.  Smiley
EastwoodS

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2021, 11:08:59 PM »

When I started this poll, I was specifically only asking about statehood, lol.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2021, 12:32:37 AM »

Do Democrats have the votes or better yet have they consolidated enough support to get their moderate wing to end the filibuster?

Don't really see how this references statehood
EastwoodS

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2021, 12:35:11 AM »

Do Democrats have the votes or better yet have they consolidated enough support to get their moderate wing to end the filibuster?

Don't really see how this references statehood
I changed the poll, it was my fault for not wording it better
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2021, 01:27:48 AM »

Why do you keep saying this, he just said that he is open to adding more states, stop being a naysayer

The only way is to have a vote on it
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies