Who Ran The Worst Senate Campaign in 2020? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:27:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who Ran The Worst Senate Campaign in 2020? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who Ran The Worst Senate Campaign in 2020?  (Read 2578 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: January 16, 2021, 02:53:33 PM »

I really can’t imagine a world where Biden loses NC and Cunningham wins, even without the scandal. He held up fine despite it. So not him, IMO.

McGrath is terrible but I don’t know if her campaign was uniquely bad. She’s just a horrendous fit for KY. Like why this butch faux folksy woman who flip flops without any clear policy positions? It’s a miracle she even cleared the primary, so I guess points to her for that.

Gideon is uniquely horrible and I think that race was obviously the most winnable so her on the D side.

For the GOP, I want to give a shout-out to Corky Messner in NH. To lose by almost 20 points as a Republican in this environment is mind blowing. With any decent candidate they should have at least matched or outperformed Trump here.

Mark Warner outperformed Biden by 1.9%. Mark Kelly outperformed Biden by 2.1%. Obviously Cunningham could have won while Trump won the state, and 3% of the vote went to the libertarians.

I'm not disagreeing with the premise but I think Warner's overperforming wasn't that surprising as he was an extremely popular governor & has always run up the score in the east of the state (it was irrc how he almost won in 1996 & how he held on in 2014)

Kelly was always likely to overperform the ticket based on his own background
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 03:00:05 PM »

Did Gideon do anything specifically bad? I agree underperforming Biden by 20 points is a huge shock, but did she do something wrong or is Collin's brand strength bigger than we thought?

I think on reflection there's a difference between a bad candidate and a bad campaign; she was on paper quite a weak candidate (had never won a state wide or competitive office, first big campaign, was a career politician etc) & the attacks seemed based on things she couldn't change- a lack of experience, not being from Maine etc.

If someone said that Steve Bullock and Sara Gideon ran some of the worst campaigns on November 2nd, 2020, I think they would be laughed at and mocked. There are legitimate arguments to be had, but you can run a good campaign that doesn't end up with a favorable result. Those campaigns got nothing but praise from the mainstream media and people on here until they didn't get the result they wanted.

IIRC there were a few democrats quoted in articles saying they were worried that Gideon had failed to 'put the race away'; my perception of the race was that she was running a standard nationalised campaign race which assumed a much better national election result
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies