Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.*** (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:42:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.*** (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***  (Read 101634 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« on: January 21, 2021, 06:45:58 AM »

POLITICO: Josh Hawley will delay swift confirmation of Biden’s DHS pick

GOP Sen. Josh Hawley announced on Tuesday that he plans to object to swift consideration of President-elect Joe Biden’s nominee to lead the Department of Homeland Security, a move that will delay the installment of Biden’s national-security team.

Hawley, who has come under heavy scrutiny for leading a push to object to the Electoral College certification of Biden’s victory, cited the incoming administration’s immigration policies. The Missouri senator argued that the nominee, Alejandro Mayorkas, “has not adequately explained how he will enforce federal law and secure the southern border given President-elect Biden’s promise to roll back major enforcement and security measures.”

Hawley pulling a very Hawley move.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 04:54:08 PM »

I miss the good old days of late 2019/early 2020. The Klob-Pete feud was so entertaining.

I really want a Klob-Pete (or even better, Pete-Klob) ticket in 2028.
Give me a brokered convention, leading to a unity ticket that forces them to work together for four years.

The sheer sitcom energy of the whole thing would be glorious...
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 07:42:06 PM »

I miss the good old days of late 2019/early 2020. The Klob-Pete feud was so entertaining.

I really want a Klob-Pete (or even better, Pete-Klob) ticket in 2028.
Give me a brokered convention, leading to a unity ticket that forces them to work together for four years.

The sheer sitcom energy of the whole thing would be glorious...

Could this show be renewed for Seasons 5-8?

Can Pete and Klob put aside their differences, and win re-election?

Find out this season, as the dynamic duo set out on a road trip across America. They'll work out how to stop Ted Cruz, win votes in the suburb, and maybe, just maybe, learn the true meaning of friendship along the way.*

Running Mates - 8/7 central on DDNN.

*Spoilers: Nah, Klob still tries to kick Pete off the ticket at the convention
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 11:32:35 AM »

I know Pete's approval rating on this site isn't exactly unanimous, but just thought this moment was kinda important, and worth posting for posterity.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 04:30:36 PM »

This could be the closest vote although it will still certainly pass.

If I recall, Education Secretary was also the closest nomination fight in the Trump administration. Murkowski and Collins broke ranks and voted no, leaving Pence to break the 50-50 tie - the first Cabinet tiebreaker vote in history if I remember correctly.

Any indication it's heading in that direction, or will Cardona end up picking up enough GOP support to get through comfortably?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 04:40:02 PM »

If I recall, Education Secretary was also the closest nomination fight in the Trump administration. Murkowski and Collins broke ranks and voted no, leaving Pence to break the 50-50 tie - the first Cabinet tiebreaker vote in history if I remember correctly.

Any indication it's heading in that direction, or will Cardona end up picking up enough GOP support to get through comfortably?

No theres still a pretty decent chance he gets through at the usual 85-15, just found this interesting.

And yes Devos sadly was the most opposed due to the hate teacher unions have for her Sad

Makes sense - I can never predict when these things are going to erupt into culture-war flashpoints, and when they'll just fade away.

Interesting to see this topic getting airtime though - given how many  midterm strategies come down to moral (or economic) panic, part of me wonders whether this is a preview for next year.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 04:58:23 PM »

No theres still a pretty decent chance he gets through at the usual 85-15, just found this interesting.

And yes Devos sadly was the most opposed due to the hate teacher unions have for her Sad

Makes sense - I can never predict when these things are going to erupt into culture-war flashpoints, and when they'll just fade away.

Interesting to see this topic getting airtime though - given how many  midterm strategies come down to moral (or economic) panic, part of me wonders whether this is a preview for next year.

I mean, IIRC Romney is extremely transphobic even by Republican standards, so I'm not surprised to see him whining about Cardona.

Huh, I guess that tracks (given he's a conservative Mormon of a certain age), but it's not something I've seen any coverage on. Discussions of Romney's positions tend to focus on Trump, the economy and healthcare (given the Romneycare situation).

Honestly, if prompted, I would have assumed he'd be more centrist, given he was elected statewide in MA (although I appreciate that a lot has changed in the intervening years, and that even Mass was probably pretty conservative on this kinda stuff 15 years ago).

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 08:29:42 AM »

Does anyone know if the GOP still plans to block Haaland for Interior?

Didn't even realize there was a GOP plan to block her. Not like it even matters anymore, though.

But now that Haaland could be on track for confirmation hearings to begin next month — perhaps as soon as next week — the fierce opposition is starting to make itself known.

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.), who sits on the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, which will oversee Haaland's confirmation proceedings, appears ready to hold Haaland to account for the Biden administration's plans to stop issuing new leases for oil and gas drilling on federal lands.

"It won't hurt the people who are sitting around congratulating themselves on 'leave it in the ground' policies," Cassidy told E&E News. "It will hurt a family who was able to send their children to a better school, take a nice vacation in the summertime. ... It will destroy their livelihoods."

Rep. Pete Stauber (R-Minn.), who as a House member does not get a vote on whether Haaland is installed at the Interior Department or not, is nonetheless seeking to use his platform to call attention to what he says are worrisome elements of her record.

"The nomination of Representative Haaland as Interior Secretary embodies clear support for the Green New Deal and a rejection of even the potential of high-wage jobs," Stauber wrote yesterday in a letter to Biden co-signed by 14 fellow House Republicans.

The members added, "We implore you in the strongest terms to withdraw [her] nomination ... and instead nominate a consensus-driven individual who will not implement policies that will kill jobs and increase the country's reliance on foreign adversaries."
https://www.eenews.net/stories/1063723619

Sen. Cassidy is angry that the Secretary of the Interior might prioritise national parks over oil drilling.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 12:31:26 PM »

So, while we wait for more votes, I thought I would visualise some of the confirmation votes.
Blue = two yes votes
Yellow = one yes, one no/abstention
Red = two no votes

I started off thinking about Buttigieg, wondering whether there were cultural factors at play in his 'no' votes, beyond the Trump loyalist faction. As expected Buttigieg did poorly in AL, (one of the last states with majority opposition to SSM), TN, but intriguingly, gained the votes of vocal homophobes like Sen. Inhofe.

Buttigieg - Transportation:

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 12:31:51 PM »

Austin - Defence:

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 12:45:07 PM »

Haines - DNI:
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 12:51:34 PM »

Mayorkas - DHS:

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 12:53:31 PM »

Is there a way to differentiate between No votes and Abstentions (with another color) on these maps? It's a bit misleading in its current format.

I'm afraid I can't find a work-around with the Atlas map format - I'll look into other visual tools after the current batch is done. Something like the 538 tool for Senate seats would be great.

I appreciate it's misleading, but the two-seat situation makes it weirdly hard to distinguish them. Sorry
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2021, 12:55:27 PM »

Yellen - Treasury:

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2021, 01:00:13 PM »

Blinken - State:

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2021, 01:09:09 PM »

Thanks for putting up with my wall of text. To add one final post, I'd just like to add a few observations:

- Sen. Moore Capito seems to be one of the most bipartisan voters, either supporting or abstaining on every appointee so far.

- Moderate Hero Sen. Romney seems to be a big fan of the Biden cabinet so far.

- Florida has voted to the right of West Virginia, Wyoming, North and South Dakota, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Mississippi so far.

- Buttigieg seems to be the only candidate whose opposition is constrained to the South, which is interesting. Social conservativism, or just anxious about his approach to infrastructure?

- Sen. Hyde-Smith, noted fan of the Confederacy, has voted for ever nominee except Austin and Mayorkas, the only two minority appointees Huh
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2021, 10:24:19 AM »

Veterans Secretary vote by state - Denis McDonough
2 Yes votes
1 Yes, 1 Nay/not-voting
2 Nay/not-voting
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 06:59:24 PM »

2 yes votes: blue
1 yes, 1 no/absent: yellow
2 no/absent: red

Confirmation: Linda Thomas-Greenfield, of Louisiana, to be Representative of the United States of America to the Sessions of the General Assembly of the United Nations

Confirmation: Thomas J. Vilsack, of Iowa, to be Secretary of Agriculture

Notes:
- Florida continues to vote far to the right of the nation. Scott and Rubio continue to vote against even the most inoffensive Biden nominees. Getting big 2024 vibes from these two.
- Hawley and Cruz continue their crusade against Biden nominees
- Shaheen wasn't in town for these votes, hence NH. Sorry, I haven't found a way to measure absent votes without defaulting to 'no'.
- Sanders is the first no among the dem caucus so far, to my knowledge
- Tom Cotton appears to be voting more like a typical republican than a 2024 candidate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies