Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:13:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 82
Author Topic: Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***  (Read 103012 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: February 22, 2021, 06:20:24 PM »

Look at how they honored my boy. Purple heart
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #551 on: February 22, 2021, 06:27:30 PM »

Deb Haaland released her statement for tommorows hearing. It definitely reads like something meant to calm fears of Haaland being a "climate extremist". Hopefully that's enough for Manchin.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #552 on: February 22, 2021, 06:31:06 PM »

Isn't Bill Nelson a little bit too old to be NASA Administrator?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #553 on: February 22, 2021, 06:40:53 PM »

What does age have to do with anything when he has more than enough experience - basically being Capitol Hill's NASA liaison for 3 decades - to do the job well, especially when much of the job as Administrator involves just fighting Congress for the funding that your divisions want & need?

In any event, he's literally the same age as the President, so if a 78-year-old can be Commander-in-Chief, I see no reason why one can't be NASA Administrator too.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #554 on: February 22, 2021, 06:46:33 PM »

Would Nelson be the first NASA Administrator who has actually been to space?  I haven't kept up with NASA that much over the last few years.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #555 on: February 22, 2021, 06:47:07 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2021, 01:18:48 AM by AndyHogan14 »

UPDATED SCHEDULE:
February 23
9:30am • Garland (Hearing; Judiciary • Day 2)
9:30am • Haaland (Hearing; Energy)
10:00am • Becerra (Hearing; HELP)
11:30amThomas-Greenfield (Senate Vote; Sec. Council)
Thomas-Greenfield (Cloture; Gen. Assembly)*

2:45pm • Vilsack (Senate Vote)
Thomas-Greenfield (Senate Vote; Gen. Assembly)*
*Immediately following the previous vote

February 24
10:00 • Tanden (Committee Vote; HSGAC)
2:30pm • Guzman (Committee Vote; SBE)
TBA • Tanden (Committee Vote; Budget)

February 25
10:00am • Tai (Hearing; Finance)

March 1
TBA • Garland (Committee Vote; Judiciary)

Non-Cabinet-Level
Adeyemo (Hearing, 2/23 at 10am)
Burns (Hearing, 2/24 at 10am)
Murthy/Levine (Hearing, 2/25 at 10am)
Gensler/Chopra (Hearing, 3/2 at 10am)

Confirmed
Blinken, Yellen, Austin, Buttigieg, McDonough, Mayorkas, Haines

Awaiting Full Senate Vote
Vilsack (2/23), Thomas-Greenfield (2/23), Raimondo (TBA), Fudge (TBA), Granholm (TBA), Walsh (TBA), Cardona (TBA), Rouse (TBA), Regan (TBA)

Awaiting Committee Vote
Guzman (2/24), Garland (3/1), Tanden (2/24; HSGAC), Tanden (2/24; Budget)

Awaiting Committee Hearing
Garland (2/23), Haaland (2/23), Becerra (2/23), Tai (2/25)

Committee Hearings Not Yet Scheduled
Lander

So it's down to Murkowski (or some GOP Senators not showing up) to save Tanden at this point...she's hanging on by a thread. Today, Schumer filed cloture for Granholm, but no dates have been set for any votes (he did say that both Granholm and Cardona are next to be confirmed). Thomas-Greenfield's nomination to the UN Security Council was advanced by a 75-20 vote and her final vote for that position will be tomorrow morning at 11:30. Her second post (General Assembly) will have a cloture vote directly following the 11:30am vote with a final vote for that post coming after the Vilsack vote. So, we have four votes tomorrow (albeit for two people), hopefully that is the pace that we will see going forward to break the logjam of committee approved nominees.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #556 on: February 22, 2021, 06:48:58 PM »

What does age have to do with anything when he has more than enough experience - basically being Capitol Hill's NASA liaison for 3 decades - to do the job well, especially when much of the job as Administrator involves just fighting Congress for the funding that your divisions want & need?

In any event, he's literally the same age as the President, so if a 78-year-old can be Commander-in-Chief, I see no reason why one can't be NASA Administrator too.
LOL, calm down there buddy. I'm not opposed to Bill Nelson being NASA administrator but I think that you could find someone with similar knowledge as Nelson but younger.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #557 on: February 22, 2021, 06:53:12 PM »

Would Nelson be the first NASA Administrator who has actually been to space?  I haven't kept up with NASA that much over the last few years.
No, Charles Bolden - the NASA administrator under President Obama - was a former astronaut who has been in space before.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #558 on: February 22, 2021, 06:59:58 PM »

LOL, calm down there buddy. I'm not opposed to Bill Nelson being NASA administrator but I think that you could find someone with similar knowledge as Nelson but younger.

Huh Huh Huh

I am perfectly calm? Why are you so quick to presume that this was an attack of some sort or something? I was simply pointing out that age shouldn't really have anything to do with the proposed nomination here.

And in any event, no, I don't believe you could find somebody younger than Bill Nelson who has the same mix of congressional & NASA-based knowledge that would allow him to both fight with Congress for the funding that they want while not actively trying to f**k with NASA & their own undertakings like Bridenstine did (& that - inherently speaking - only he has, since only he was NASA's Capitol Hill go-to for 3 decades).

Would Nelson be the first NASA Administrator who has actually been to space?  I haven't kept up with NASA that much over the last few years.

No, Charles Bolden - the NASA administrator under President Obama - was a former astronaut who has been in space before.

And in addition to Bolden, who flew up on 4 Space Shuttle missions from the mid-80's through the mid-90's, there were also W.'s 2nd-term administrator Frederick Gregory, who flew up on 3 Shuttle missions from the mid-'80s through the early-'90s, & Poppy Bush's administrator Richard Truly, who went up on the 2nd & 8th Shuttle missions in the early-'80s.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #559 on: February 22, 2021, 07:09:39 PM »

Huh Huh Huh

I am perfectly calm? Why are you so quick to presume that this was an attack of some sort or something? I was simply pointing out that age shouldn't really have anything to do with the proposed nomination here.

And in any event, no, I don't believe you could find somebody younger than Bill Nelson who has the same mix of congressional & NASA-based knowledge that would allow him to both fight with Congress for the funding that they want while not actively trying to f**k with NASA & their own undertakings like Bridenstine did (& that - inherently speaking - only he has, since only he was NASA's Capitol Hill go-to for 3 decades).

Would Nelson be the first NASA Administrator who has actually been to space?  I haven't kept up with NASA that much over the last few years.

And in addition to Bolden, who flew up on 4 Space Shuttle missions from the mid-80's through the mid-90's, there were also W.'s 2nd-term administrator Frederick Gregory, who flew up on 3 Shuttle missions from the mid-'80s through the early-'90s, & Poppy Bush's administrator Richard Truly, who went up on the 2nd & 8th Shuttle missions in the early-'80s.

Aargh, can't believe I didn't remember Dick Truly was a former administrator.  I worked at the Cape at the time of his two Shuttle missions.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #560 on: February 22, 2021, 07:14:34 PM »

Aargh, can't believe I didn't remember Dick Truly was a former administrator.  I worked at the Cape at the time of his two Shuttle missions.

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #561 on: February 22, 2021, 07:34:16 PM »

Go off King

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #562 on: February 22, 2021, 07:35:36 PM »

In the late 70's and early 80's, I worked for an aerospace/defense contractor that was a subcontractor for the development and operation of the Air Force's Eastern Test Range, which supports launches at the Cape/KSC along with a few other places (NASA's Wallops Island and ESA's Kourou launch center are the ones I recall offhand).  I worked on dozens of missile launches during those years; most were unmanned, of course, but I was there for the first eight Shuttle flights.  In fact STS-8 was my very last launch, as I moved on to another project at a different military base a few days later.

Working at the Cape in those days was an extraordinary experience, and is something I'm extremely glad to have been part of.  But there's no way I would want to go back to it at my age (way too stressful).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #563 on: February 22, 2021, 07:35:41 PM »

Go off King

God, imagine how great this country would be if all politicians at all levels of state and federal government were replaced with Jon Tester.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #564 on: February 22, 2021, 07:45:35 PM »

Go off King

Tanden needs to be worried about Sinema. Sinema can the deal the death blow to Tanden's nomination. She's been silent so far.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #565 on: February 22, 2021, 07:50:41 PM »

Well, I apologize for assuming.

Anyways, I didn't literally mean the same expertise as Nelson. I just meant a person with a deep knowledge of NASA and aeronautics.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #566 on: February 22, 2021, 07:56:19 PM »

Go off King

Tanden needs to be worried about Sinema. Sinema can the deal the death blow to Tanden's nomination. She's been silent so far.

Apparently Murkowski is still undecided.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #567 on: February 22, 2021, 07:58:11 PM »

Manchin stands firm on his NO vote decision.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #568 on: February 22, 2021, 08:04:51 PM »

Go off King

I'd guess Murkowski is more likely to reject Tanden than Sanders or Sinema and (assuming she doesn't have an ace up her sleeve in the form of another Republican Senator), she needs all three.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #569 on: February 22, 2021, 08:11:30 PM »

I'd guess Murkowski is more likely to reject Tanden than Sanders or Sinema and (assuming she doesn't have an ace up her sleeve in the form of another Republican Senator), she needs all three.
Tanden is pretty much out of options. Manchin, Collins, Romney & Portman are all NO votes. Murkowski is the only wild card but I doubt that she will vote in favor of Tanden's nomination.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #570 on: February 22, 2021, 08:15:44 PM »

I'd rather Murkowski stick her neck out for Haaland and not Tanden. Atleast with Tanden, Biden can find her another spot in the administration that doesn't need a senate confirmation.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #571 on: February 22, 2021, 08:16:09 PM »

Tom, typically the dogwhistles are intended to go over the heads of the liberals.

The implication behind Cotton's question is that supporting "racial equity" as opposed to "racial equality" means discrimination but woke.   Just in case that wasn't clear from the snippet or people aren't familiar with the debate on this.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #572 on: February 22, 2021, 08:38:16 PM »

Tom, typically the dogwhistles are intended to go over the heads of the liberals.

The implication behind Cotton's question is that supporting "racial equity" as opposed to "racial equality" means discrimination but woke.   Just in case that wasn't clear from the snippet or people aren't familiar with the debate on this.
No, racial equity is "when institutions give equal opportunities to people of all races. In other words, the structures, systems, practices and cultural narratives in society provide true situational fairness and equal opportunity for everyone regardless of their ethnicity or race". Currently, that is not the case in American society.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #573 on: February 22, 2021, 08:40:20 PM »

No, racial equity is "when institutions give equal opportunities to people of all races. In other words, the structures, systems, practices and cultural narratives in society provide true situational fairness and equal opportunity for everyone regardless of their ethnicity or race". Currently, that is not the case in American society.

I hardly think either of these are neutral definitions of the term.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #574 on: February 22, 2021, 08:53:24 PM »

I hardly think either of these are neutral definitions of the term.
WDYM?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies