Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:24:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 82
Author Topic: Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***  (Read 101676 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: February 19, 2021, 05:25:10 PM »

Like I've previously pointed out, though, the man has never cast a deciding vote against the Democratic Party line over the course of his nearly 10 years in the Senate. That's just not changing now.

well this aged well. Any comment?

Well, last I checked, I missed the part where he's confirmed to be casting a deciding vote against the Democratic Party line by taking this stand, so my comment would be to f**king wait:

Remember guys, Manchin literally never votes against the party line when it matters, and it's stupid and naive to think that he will. I'm sure that he's only doing this because he knows there are loads of Republicans to pad the margin.

(This is sarcastic in case you can't tell)

Y'all, can we calm the f**k down for literally 5 seconds & just wait & see how this plays out a bit more. It's entirely possible that he's been told Tanden has at least 1 Republican vote (so, literally pick 1 of your Romneys, Murkowskis, Collins', etc.) & that this is therefore not a time where his vote actually matters. But thank you for your failed attempt at a burn, though, very cool!

Maybe (I highly doubt it), but I do note that Manchin is announcing this ahead of any R publicly saying they're a yes.

The problem with Manchin is that we should not have to get down on our knees and beg Murkowski (here) or the Budget Committee (in the case of the budget amendments that he provided deciding votes for) to cover for his misbehavior. He should know enough to provide the desired result himself.

I'm honestly sick and tired of treating someone who voted with Trump more often than not, voted for 80% of his judges, and already has or plans to cast several deciding votes against the dems in this congress, as a Democrat. We need to kick him out of the caucus.

I was following until the last paragraph. How in God's name would deliberately making McConnell Majority Leader again just to teach Manchin a lesson or whatever be preferable to the current situation?

This Manchin majority simply isn't worth it. The biden nominees that have been confirmed would have been confirmed with or without his support, and he continually shows a lukewarm at best attitude toward the democratic agenda, including on covid related matters. At least with McConnell we'd know for sure that dem wins would be few, instead of getting all this false hope from closeted republican Joe Manchin.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #476 on: February 19, 2021, 05:25:44 PM »

Thank you Comrade Manchin for avenging Bernie while giving him cover. Purple heart

In all seriousness, we'll see what happens now. Ideally Biden will pull her and nominate someone who's similar on the issues but isn't a toxic asshole, but I realize that's not necessarily the most likely outcome. Here's hoping.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #477 on: February 19, 2021, 05:27:24 PM »

Like I've previously pointed out, though, the man has never cast a deciding vote against the Democratic Party line over the course of his nearly 10 years in the Senate. That's just not changing now.

Well, last I checked, I missed the part where he's confirmed to be casting a deciding vote against the Democratic Party line by taking this stand, so my comment would be to f**king wait:

Remember guys, Manchin literally never votes against the party line when it matters, and it's stupid and naive to think that he will. I'm sure that he's only doing this because he knows there are loads of Republicans to pad the margin.

Y'all, can we calm the f**k down for literally 5 seconds & just wait & see how this plays out a bit more. It's entirely possible that he's been told Tanden has at least 1 Republican vote (so, literally pick 1 of your Romneys, Murkowskis, Collins', etc.) & that this is therefore not a time where his vote actually matters. But thank you for your failed attempt at a burn, though, very cool!

Maybe (I highly doubt it), but I do note that Manchin is announcing this ahead of any R publicly saying they're a yes.

The problem with Manchin is that we should not have to get down on our knees and beg Murkowski (here) or the Budget Committee (in the case of the budget amendments that he provided deciding votes for) to cover for his misbehavior. He should know enough to provide the desired result himself.

I'm honestly sick and tired of treating someone who voted with Trump more often than not, voted for 80% of his judges, and already has or plans to cast several deciding votes against the dems in this congress, as a Democrat. We need to kick him out of the caucus.

I was following until the last paragraph. How in God's name would deliberately making McConnell Majority Leader again just to teach Manchin a lesson or whatever be preferable to the current situation?

This Manchin majority simply isn't worth it. The biden nominees that have been confirmed would have been confirmed with or without his support, and he continually shows a lukewarm at best attitude toward the democratic agenda, including on covid related matters. At least with McConnell we'd know for sure that dem wins would be few, instead of getting all this false hope from closeted republican Joe Manchin.

Ok, this might objectively take the cake for being the worst take - on anything, ever - that I've ever seen on this forum.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #478 on: February 19, 2021, 05:28:20 PM »

Every new administration has a nominee that goes down in flames. Trump had the Carls Jr. guy. Obama had Judd Gregg. Bush had Linda Chavez.

It happens.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #479 on: February 19, 2021, 05:30:34 PM »

Every new administration has a nominee that goes down in flames. Trump had the Carls Jr. guy. Obama had Judd Gregg. Bush had Linda Chavez.

It happens.

Gregg withdrew over unsolvable differences with the administration: https://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/12/gregg.nomination/index.html

No senator aside from himself ultimately doomed his nomination.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #480 on: February 19, 2021, 05:32:40 PM »

It happens.

Gregg withdrew over unsolvable differences with the administration: https://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/12/gregg.nomination/index.html

Yes. I remember it being rather embarrassing for the new administration. Hence the "going down in flames" part.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #481 on: February 19, 2021, 05:34:29 PM »

Sounds like a good way to ensure McConnell can block Covid relief and prevent Breyer from retiring.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #482 on: February 19, 2021, 05:40:38 PM »

Sounds like a good way to ensure McConnell can block Covid relief and prevent Breyer from retiring.

Oh, haven't you heard!? Joe Manchin's just itching to kill the COVID relief stimulus package (that no legitimate Republican even supports) even though he's already come out in support of it, AND then he's gonna personally shoot Justice Breyer with his own NRA-provided shotgun just to open up his seat & save it for when McConnell returns to the majority leadership. Of course, even though Manchin is obviously a secret Republican at heart, he's doing all of this without switching parties & actually putting McConnell in charge so he can do all of these things - & more - that Manchin has made very clear in public that he doesn't actually wanna do. It almost makes TOO MUCH sense!!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #483 on: February 19, 2021, 05:47:40 PM »

It happens.

Yes. I remember it being rather embarrassing for the new administration. Hence the "going down in flames" part.

And it wasn't just Gregg, Obama was actually forced to try & put out a (relative) sh*tton of nomination flames at this point in his administration, what with Daschle withdrawing his HHS nomination over income tax issues & Richardson withdrawing his Commerce nomination over a corruption probe back in NM.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #484 on: February 19, 2021, 05:48:11 PM »

Oh, haven't you heard!? Joe Manchin's just itching to kill the COVID relief stimulus package (that no legitimate Republican even supports) even though he's already come out in support of it, AND then he's gonna personally shoot Justice Breyer with his own NRA-provided shotgun just to open up his seat & save it for when McConnell returns to the majority leadership. Of course, even though Manchin is obviously a secret Republican at heart, he's doing all of this without switching parties & actually putting McConnell in charge so he can do all of these things - & more - that Manchin has made very clear in public that he doesn't actually wanna do. It almost makes TOO MUCH sense!!

Well if we can't kick him out, then we need to take away his committee chairmanship. This treachery should not go unpunished.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #485 on: February 19, 2021, 05:50:28 PM »

Well if we can't kick him out, then we need to take away his committee chairmanship. This treachery should not go unpunished.

It's not that serious.

Honestly, Manchin is downright liberal compared to the 2009 democrat senate caucus. 
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #486 on: February 19, 2021, 05:51:26 PM »

Bloomberg is reporting that Rahm Emanuel is high on the list to be appointed as U.S. Ambassador to China by Biden.

I might have to start taking the "Sleepy Joe" conspiracies more seriously if this reporting is true.

But no, for real, Biden is smarter than that (I think/hope). Or hopefully, just like earlier Rahm rumors - this one isn't true.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #487 on: February 19, 2021, 05:51:40 PM »

23,978 posts on a political forum & you don't know how politics works. It's honestly a shame, really.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #488 on: February 19, 2021, 05:55:12 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2021, 03:48:48 PM by brucejoel99 »

Bloomberg is reporting that Rahm Emanuel is high on the list to be appointed as U.S. Ambassador to China by Biden.

I might have to start taking the "Sleepy Joe" conspiracies more seriously if this reporting is true.

But no, for real, Biden is smarter than that (I think/hope). Or hopefully, just like earlier Rahm rumors - this one isn't true.

Given Biden's particular foreign policy acumen, I'm gonna go out on a limb here & say that hell will freeze over before he goes for Rahm over the other reported candidate in contention, Nicholas Burns, who's an actual legitimate diplomat, having been a senior career Foreign Service officer & all. But if he f**ks up (because bringing Rahm back in any capacity would be an ultimate f**k-up) & proves me wrong by actually choosing Rahm, then I'll gladly eat my hat Paddy Ashdown-style.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #489 on: February 19, 2021, 05:57:31 PM »

Ok, this might objectively take the cake for being the worst take - on anything, ever - that I've ever seen on this forum.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #490 on: February 19, 2021, 06:03:21 PM »

23,978 posts on a political forum & you don't know how politics works. It's honestly a shame, really.

When Republicans held majorities in Congress, they repeatedly stripped members of committee assignments when they repeatedly did not do as they were told on the floor. Democrats should do the same.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #491 on: February 19, 2021, 06:14:09 PM »

UPDATED SCHEDULE:
February 22
9:30am • Garland (Hearing; Judiciary • Day 1)
5:30pm • Thomas-Greenfield (Cloture)

February 23
9:30am • Garland (Hearing; Judiciary • Day 2)
9:30am • Haaland (Hearing; Energy)
10:00am • Becerra (Hearing; HELP)
TBA • Vilsack (Senate Vote)

February 24
2:30pm • Guzman (Committee Vote; SBE)
TBA • Tanden (Committee Vote; Budget)

February 25
10:00am • Tai (Hearing; Finance)

March 1
TBA • Garland (Committee Vote; Judiciary)

Non-Cabinet-Level
Adeyemo (Hearing, 2/23 at 10am)
Burns (Hearing, 2/24 at 10am)
Murthy (Hearing, 2/25 at 10am)

Confirmed
Blinken, Yellen, Austin, Buttigieg, McDonough, Mayorkas, Haines

Awaiting Full Senate Vote
Vilsack (2/23), Raimondo (TBA), Fudge (TBA), Granholm (TBA), Walsh (TBA), Cardona (TBA), Thomas-Greenfield (Cloture 2/22), Rouse (TBA), Regan (TBA)

Awaiting Committee Vote
Guzman (2/24), Garland (3/1), Tanden (2/24; Budget), Tanden (TBA; HSGAC)

Awaiting Committee Hearing
Garland (2/22-23), Haaland (2/23), Becerra (2/23), Tai (2/25)

Committee Hearings Not Yet Scheduled
Lander

Okay...tons of news today on the Cabinet front even though the Senate is still in recess. Hearings have been scheduled for Tai, Burns, and Murthy (Tai being the only Cabinet-level official). This makes Lander the only Cabinet-level official without a scheduled hearing. Monday should be a busy day with the cloture vote on Thomas-Greenfield, the first day of Garland's hearing, and I think it is likely that Schumer will add some more full Senate votes to the schedule on Monday as well. In addition to all of that, Tanden's confirmation is hanging by the thread with Manchin's announcement today. While it seems likely that she will make it through committee with a 50-50 vote, she'll need to pick up a GOP vote to get confirmed. Romney is on the Homeland Security Committee, so it may be interesting to see how he votes in committee because if they go ahead with her nomination, it'll come down to Collins, Murkowski, or Romney to save her.
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #492 on: February 19, 2021, 06:15:35 PM »

When Republicans held majorities in Congress, they repeatedly stripped members of committee assignments when they repeatedly did not do as they were told on the floor. Democrats should do the same.

If you want Manchin to actually switch parties and give Republicans the majority that’s a great idea. Even if he sinks one nomination that is infinitely preferable to Republican control. Democrats are in no position to “punish” him for wrong votes when he is a team player most of the time.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #493 on: February 19, 2021, 07:06:02 PM »

Is it weird that I'm pissed at Manchin, but at the same time I don't really care about Tanden's nomination/think she's a sub-par pick/think it would be a good idea to have a different nominee anyway?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #494 on: February 19, 2021, 07:48:09 PM »

Either Schumer wants the nomination torpedoed or he had a Republican yes lined up. No way Manchin is just going rogue over this...
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #495 on: February 19, 2021, 08:17:58 PM »

You don’t have to like Tanden or hate Manchin to think it’s a bit ridiculous that the guy who voted to confirm Brett Kavanaugh won’t confirm Tanden cos she hurt people’s feelings online.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #496 on: February 19, 2021, 08:50:54 PM »

You don’t have to like Tanden or hate Manchin to think it’s a bit ridiculous that the guy who voted to confirm Brett Kavanaugh won’t confirm Tanden cos she hurt people’s feelings online.
Joe Manchin is Joe Manchin. As brucejoel99 has said to me many times before, his performative politics is the reason why he's still a senator representing West Virginia - one of the most Republican and Trump-friendly states in America.

His opposition to Tanden is clearly performative. Anyways, what Dems have to do is make sure that we gain enough Senate seats in 2022 so that Manchin's vote becomes irrelevant.
Roblox

« Reply #497 on: February 19, 2021, 09:05:21 PM »

I see people saying that they already have a republican vote locked up for Tanden, but that feels like cope. They didn’t even tell Bernie about her nomination before it happened, people really over estimate how much these things are masterminded lol.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #498 on: February 20, 2021, 09:08:32 AM »

Apparently Schumer is probably gonna try to get full Senate votes for Vilsack, Raimondo, Walsh, Cardona, Regan, and possibly Granholm next week in addition to Thomas-Greenfield.  I can’t remember where, but I read this a few days ago.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #499 on: February 20, 2021, 03:10:15 PM »

Joe Manchin is Joe Manchin. As brucejoel99 has said to me many times before, his performative politics is the reason why he's still a senator representing West Virginia - one of the most Republican and Trump-friendly states in America.

His opposition to Tanden is clearly performative. Anyways, what Dems have to do is make sure that we gain enough Senate seats in 2022 so that Manchin's vote becomes irrelevant.

The issue with this is that Manchin no longer has any reason to do this. Unless he's truly foolish enough to think he has a >0% chance of winning West Virginia in 2024, there is literally no reason for him not to be a party line hack anymore--unless he actually wants to screw part of the Biden agenda.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies