Hawley (R-MO)
Marshall (R-KS)
Risch (R-ID)
Rubio (R-FL)
Sasse (R-NE)
Scott (R-SC)
Tillis (R-NC)

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon:
^ Moran changed his vote from No to Aye, so that vote is now 57-34.

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon:
Cloture filed on:

Calendar #985 John Z. Lee to be United States Circuit Judge for the Seventh Circuit.
Calendar #736 Andre B. Mathis to be United States Circuit Judge for the Sixth Circuit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SenateCloakroom/status/1556364238968553478var scriptTag = document.getElementsByTagName('script');scriptTag = scriptTag[scriptTag.length-1];atlas_tweetCheckLoad(scriptTag.parentNode, "tw_0_2303131101372324821", "tw_2_12107612161609985886", "https://mobile.twitter.com/SenateCloakroom/status/1556364238968553478");

politicallefty:
Quote from: Lincoln Speaker Dwarven Dragon on August 07, 2022, 02:42:25 PM

Cloture filed on:

Calendar #985 John Z. Lee to be United States Circuit Judge for the Seventh Circuit.
Calendar #736 Andre B. Mathis to be United States Circuit Judge for the Sixth Circuit.

Finally! I wonder what took so long. (I'm pleased with both, but I'd had growing concerns about the Mathis nomination.)

We also have two new (quite surprising) nominees from the White House just announced yesterday:

DeAndrea Benjamin (4th Circuit-SC)
Jabari Wamble (10th Circuit-KS)

Apparently, the 10th Circuit nominee is related to Emanuel Cleaver, but more importantly, he also has the support of Senator Moran. While blue slips don't apply to circuit court nominations, it definitely helps to have some home state support. As for the 4th Circuit nominee, I'd be stunned if she didn't have Graham's backing.

With those two nominees, there are now only five circuit court vacancies (or planned vacancies) without nominees:

1st-NH
4th-MD
5th-TX
7th-IN (which only opened up in mid-June)
9th-MT

I have to give major credit to President Biden on this. The ball is now in Schumer's and Durbin's courts. I have to think, now more than ever, that action on judicial nominations (particularly circuit court nominees) will be highly dependent on what happens in the general election. If we lose the Senate, it's likely to be an extremely packed lame duck session. If we hold the Senate, a good portion of nominees can be pushed into the new Congress. There are now currently 18 circuit court nominees pending further Senate action. I'm hoping no less than half are confirmed before the election.

MichaelRbn:
Senator Burr out for the week after hip replacement surgery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page