Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***

<< < (326/411) > >>

politicallefty:
Quote from: Lincoln Speaker Dwarven Dragon on August 04, 2022, 03:28:56 PM

Desai (9th Cir.) confirmed 67-29:

[...]

Yep - Dems think moving this one up in line will make Sinema vote for IRA, GOP thinks being nice on this will help her be willing to vote No....

This one is puzzling to me. I can't recall the last time a circuit court judge was confirmed without cloture vote. I don't think it's happened with a Biden nominee before today. Desai looks to be an great nominee too.

On the other hand, unfortunately, Rachel Bloomekatz will require a discharge vote. I suppose that should have been expected since she'll basically be primed for consideration for a future SCOTUS vacancy. The conservative equivalent would probably be Justin Walker.

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon:
Quote from: politicallefty on August 04, 2022, 06:48:54 PM

[...]

Yep - Dems think moving this one up in line will make Sinema vote for IRA, GOP thinks being nice on this will help her be willing to vote No....

This one is puzzling to me. I can't recall the last time a circuit court judge was confirmed without cloture vote. I don't think it's happened with a Biden nominee before today. Desai looks to be an great nominee too.

On the other hand, unfortunately, Rachel Bloomekatz will require a discharge vote. I suppose that should have been expected since she'll basically be primed for consideration for a future SCOTUS vacancy. The conservative equivalent would probably be Justin Walker.

I recall at least 2 under Trump - both IL nominees.

As I said, it's purely a Sinema reconcillation bribing technique for both sides - Desai is from AZ. For whom will it work, we'll have to wait and see.

NewYorkExpress:
Quote from: Lincoln Speaker Dwarven Dragon on August 04, 2022, 07:00:42 PM

Quote from: politicallefty on August 04, 2022, 06:48:54 PM

[...]

I recall at least 2 under Trump - both IL nominees.

As I said, it's purely a Sinema reconcillation bribing technique for both sides - Desai is from AZ. For whom will it work, we'll have to wait and see.

Knowing Sinema, probably the Republicans.

Confirmed by Voice Vote:

Calendar #967 Nasser H. Paydar to be Assistant Secretary for Postsecondary Education, Department of Education.
Calendar #994 David Applegate to be Director of the United States Geological Survey.
Calendar #1094 Susie Feliz to be an Assistant Secretary of Commerce.
Calendar #1095 Donald R. Cravins to be Under Secretary of Commerce for Minority Business Development.
Calendar #1104 Jaime Areizaga-Soto to be Chairman of the Board of Veterans' Appeals for a term of six years.
Calendar #1126 Kathryn Wheelbarger to be a Member of the Board of Directors of the United States Institute of Peace for a term of four years.
Calendar #1127 Michael K. Singh to be a Member of the Board of Directors of the United States Institute of Peace for a term of four years.
Calendar #1128 Jonathan Wingate Burks to be a Member of the Board of Directors of the United States Institute of Peace for a term of four years.
Calendar #891 Edward Gabriel to be a Member of the Board of Directors of the United States Institute of Peace for a term of four years.
Calendar #892 Nathalie Rayes to be a Member of the Board of Directors of the United States Institute of Peace for a term of four years.
Calendar #893 Mary Green Swig to be a Member of the Board of Directors of the United States Institute of Peace for a term of four years.
Calendar #1114 Yohannes Abraham to be Representative of the United States of America to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, with the rank and status of Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary.
Calendar #1123 Shirley Sachi Sagawa to be a Member of the Board of Directors of the Corporation for National and Community Service for a term expiring October 6, 2024.
Calendar #1069 Carlos Felipe Uriarte to be an Assistant Attorney General.
Calendar #1070 Carlton W. Reeves to be Chair of the United States Sentencing Commission.
Calendar #1071 Carlton W. Reeves to be a Member of the United States Sentencing Commission for a term expiring October 31, 2027.
Calendar #1072 Laura E. Mate to be a Member of the United States Sentencing Commission for a term expiring October 31, 2027.
Calendar #1073 Claire McCusker Murray to be a Member of the United States Sentencing Commission for a term expiring October 31, 2025.
Calendar #1074 Luis Felipe Restrepo to be a Member of the United States Sentencing Commission for a term expiring October 31, 2025.
Calendar #1075 Claria Horn Boom to be a Member of the United States Sentencing Commission for a term expiring October 31, 2023.
Calendar #1076 John Gleeson to be a Member of the United States Sentencing Commission for a term expiring October 31, 2023.
Calendar #1077 Candice C. Wong to be a Member of the United States Sentencing Commission for a term expiring October 31, 2027.
Calendar #984 Michael C. Gonzales a Career Member of the Senior Foreign Service, Class of Minister-Counselor, to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the Republic of Zambia.
Calendar #1052 Timmy T. Davis a Career Member of the Senior Foreign Service, Class of Counselor, to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the State of Qatar.
Calendar #1061 Dean R. Thompson a Career Member of the Senior Foreign Service, Class of Minister-Counselor, to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to Nepal.
Calendar #1062 Richard Lee Buangan a Career Member of the Senior Foreign Service, Class of Minister-Counselor, to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to Mongolia.
Calendar #1064 Marie C. Damour a Career Member of the Senior Foreign Service, Class of Minister-Counselor, to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to Fiji/Kiribati/ Nauru/Tonga/Tuvalu.
Calendar #1111 Robert F. Godec a Career Member of the Senior Foreign Service, Class of Career Minister, to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the Kingdom of Thailand.
Calendar #1115 Jonathan Henick a Career Member of the Senior Foreign Service, Class of Minister-Counselor, to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the Republic of Uzbekistan.
Calendar #1116 Angela Price Aggeler a Career Member of the Senior Foreign Service, Class of Minister-Counselor, to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the Republic of North Macedonia.
Calendar #1117 Gautam A. Rana a Career Member of the Senior Foreign Service, Class of Counselor, to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the Slovak Republic.
Calendar #1118 Daniel N. Rosenblum a Career Member of the Senior Executive Service, to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Calendar #815 Monde Muyangwa to be an Assistant Administrator of the United States Agency for International Development.

Agreed to, 51-39: Motion to discharge from EPW Committee PN1555, David M. Uhlmann to be an Assistant Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency.

NAYs ---39
Barrasso (R-WY)
Blackburn (R-TN)
Blunt (R-MO)
Boozman (R-AR)
Capito (R-WV)
Cassidy (R-LA)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cramer (R-ND)
Crapo (R-ID)
Cruz (R-TX)