Two Voices
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:50:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Two Voices
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Which is louder to you?
The Crowd

The Cross

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Two Voices  (Read 8139 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2006, 07:14:29 AM »

The cross, duh. Hopefully you realizes that the crowd is the world i.e. devil, and the cross is Jesus.
They're both the same as far as I can tell.

Correct as usual Lewis Trondheim!

The 'cross' is merely a 'crowd' making the erroneous claim that subjective preference is an objective morality.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2006, 10:27:50 AM »

Jmfcst has always struck me as the kind of guy that not only would you not want to enjoy a beer with, but would be the guy who sits outside the bar screaming about how we should all be burned at the stake.

Actually, I just had two beers tonight.

I never said that you don't drink; just that sharing one with you would be about as fun as having my liver yanked out and fed to me.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2006, 10:30:40 AM »

I still say that if a cross is speaking to you you should get your head checked out. Same for other inanimate objects, unless they have some sort of speaker in them. Grin
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2006, 11:09:29 AM »

Jmfcst has always struck me as the kind of guy that not only would you not want to enjoy a beer with, but would be the guy who sits outside the bar screaming about how we should all be burned at the stake.

I never said that you don't drink; just that sharing one with you would be about as fun as having my liver yanked out and fed to me.

Joe Republic!  Speaking of this - I just ran into 4 missionary kids here in town, as well as the half dozen or so unfortunate Thai college students out with them.  I joined them for dinner before realizing they were of that sort, and it was somewhat uncomfortable.  For one thing, they didn't drink, and I was told it would probably be best if I did not order a beer!  One of the white girls (alas the fat one) was actually very nice and friendly, and the Thai girls were of course very flirtatious, but the lone fat male christian was very creepy and hostile.  At several times the Thai girls joked about exchanging numbers with me, but the christians looked on with disapproval.

Ostensibly these people - all from such places as Mississippi and Tennessee, are here to volunteer to teach English, but of course it is clear what they are really up to.  One can only hope the Thais realize what a monstrosity they have invited amongst themselves.

Oh what an unnatural perversion of youth!
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2006, 07:36:42 PM »

no, you said I would be outside the bar screaming at those inside
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2006, 07:40:43 PM »

Opebo, abusively yelling at people for doing things he does himself would make no sense whatsoever.  He isn't Catholic, after all.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2006, 07:45:06 PM »

Was John the Baptist violating Mat 7:3-5 when he told the crowds the following in Luke 3:7: ""You brood of vipers!"??

Was Stephen violating Mat 7:3-5 when he told the following to the Sanhedrin in Acts 7:51: "You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit!"??

---

though I suppose in this case that giant redwood is near unmovable.

To which sin of mine are you referring?

---

Of course, it is a free nation, and if someone wants to dogmatically follow the teachings of John Darby, ignoring centuries of history, culture, and theology they are free to do so

Huh
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2006, 07:45:29 PM »

HAHA, ok now you can stop talking to me.

Why?
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2006, 01:55:38 PM »

I still say that if a cross is speaking to you you should get your head checked out. Same for other inanimate objects, unless they have some sort of speaker in them. Grin

aye. Good post Dibble.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2006, 11:42:35 AM »

You're proving my point here, you know.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2006, 02:33:50 PM »

You're proving my point here, you know.

yes, you are illogical.  Wink
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2006, 01:09:44 AM »

HAHA, ok now you can stop talking to me.

Why?

How can you preach to others, but yet drink?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2006, 01:19:00 AM »

How can you preach to others, but yet drink?

Yes, I preach against drunkenness, yet I drink in moderation. (I had two beers in a two hour span, that is NOT enough to make me drunk since I weigh approx 185 lbs.)

I also preach against gluttony, yet I eat in moderation.  (I am 6 feet tall and weight 185 lbs.) 

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2006, 06:43:38 PM »

Yes, I preach against drunkenness, yet I drink in moderation.

Why do you feel it's fine to drink in moderation yet it's immoral to smoke marijuana in moderation?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2006, 11:36:40 PM »

Why do you feel it's fine to drink in moderation yet it's immoral to smoke marijuana in moderation?

He is one of them people who like to use the bible to make himself look good, but make others look bad.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2006, 09:49:21 AM »

1) smoking Marijuana is illegal, therefore it would be a sin for me to smoke pot anywhere it is illegal.
2) even if it was legal, from my experience, taking a couple of puffs off a joint got me pretty "high".  So for me, it would be a sin even if it was legal.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2006, 09:51:10 AM »

1) smoking Marijuana is illegal, therefore it would be a sin for me to smoke pot anywhere it is illegal.

Would it have been a sin for you to read the bible in communist Albania circa 1970?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2006, 09:56:55 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2006, 10:01:12 AM by jmfcst »

Would it have been a sin for you to read the bible in communist Albania circa 1970?

The commands of God trump the commands of man, therefore I could break that man made law and read the bible with a clear conscience.  But, God did not require me to drink alcohol or smoke pot; therefore, I am under commandment of God to obey the man-made laws in regard to alcohol or pot.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2006, 10:32:01 AM »

The commands of God trump the commands of man, therefore I could break that man made law and read the bible with a clear conscience.  But, God did not require me to drink alcohol or smoke pot; therefore, I am under commandment of God to obey the man-made laws in regard to alcohol or pot.

god does speak of drunkenness.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2006, 10:43:56 AM »

god does speak of drunkenness.

Yes he does, so if the government passed a law requiring everyone to get drunk, then I would be sinning if I obeyed the law of the government.

As it stands today, the government allows me to consume alcohol, but God commands me not to get drunk.  Therefore, knowing my own tolerance, I drink in moderation and set limits on myself.

Same goes for gluttony - the bible speaks against it, so I eat in moderation, but I don't stop eating altogether.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2006, 12:55:32 PM »

Therefore, knowing my own tolerance, I drink in moderation and set limits on myself.

Out of interest, how did you discover your own tolerance level?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2006, 01:09:30 PM »

Is it just me, or has auld JMF become a parody of himself?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2006, 01:20:10 PM »

To some extent, but in other cases he's gone just plain wacky, such as in defending adulterers.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2006, 02:18:25 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2006, 02:38:46 PM by jmfcst »

Therefore, knowing my own tolerance, I drink in moderation and set limits on myself.

Out of interest, how did you discover your own tolerance level?

Isn’t that common sense?

If I catch a buzz, I've had too much.  If my equilibrium is affected, or if my speech starts to slur, I’ve definitely had too much.  If my inhibitions are affected, I’ve had way too much.

For me a buzz would occur if I drink three beers within the first hour and half.  So I limit my drinking limit to 3 drinks or 1 drink per hour, whichever is the greatest. 

Example, if I were on a 10 hour fishing trip, I could conceivably consume 10 beers, one per hour.  But, since it is extremely rare that I would be drinking more than a couple of beers, I don’t attempt to control the rate at which I drink them since I am only having two.

If I am drinking something unfamiliar (unsure of the alcoholic content), then I would naturally drink slowly and stop as soon as I feel the calming effect, which for me, is a safe distance away from catching a buzz.

But, again, I believe this is common sense and it doesn’t take a genius to figure out how to drink in moderation.  For most people, getting drunk requires a conscious effort.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2006, 02:22:03 PM »

To some extent, but in other cases he's gone just plain wacky, such as in defending adulterers.

Obviously, I have never defended adulterers.  Rather, I simply pointed out that the spouse, in a lot of cases, wasn't fulfilling their marriage vows.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies