Could Charlie Crist have won reelection in 2010?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:26:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Could Charlie Crist have won reelection in 2010?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could Charlie Crist have won reelection in 2010?  (Read 438 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2022, 08:54:20 AM »

If Charlie Crist didn't step aside in 2010 to run for senate as independent, would he have won reelection as governor? Consequently preventing Rick Scott from becoming gov in the first place.

I believe he may have been vulnerable in a GOP primary, but would have won the GE by more than Scott actually did. It's also interesting to discuss both scenarios of Crist either running as Republican or pulling a Arlen Specter and switching to Dems in 2009 already.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 09:01:27 AM »

Of course - and it wouldn't have been particularly close.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 09:05:07 AM »

It's really bizarre he wanted to become a senator instead of having an easier reelection as chief executive of a major states. FL, along with CA, TX and NY is one of the states I'd definitely prefer the governorship over a senate seat. Senate imho is only more valueable in small states.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 09:07:19 AM »

Yes, but he endorsed Barak Obama and became a D similarly to Arken Specter anyways due to Obamacare

Actually, Beto now has a better chance at beating Abbott he is only down 4
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 09:19:20 AM »

As a Democrat or Republican? As a Republican he probably wins by more than Scott if he makes it out of the primary. I think I read somewhere that Crist wasn't very popular among the GOP rank and file so he'd probably have at least some primary opposition. As a Dem, he'd have lost.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 09:28:26 AM »

As a Democrat or Republican? As a Republican he probably wins by more than Scott if he makes it out of the primary. I think I read somewhere that Crist wasn't very popular among the GOP rank and file so he'd probably have at least some primary opposition. As a Dem, he'd have lost.

I dunno, keep in mind how close Alex Sink already came and Crist would have incumbency.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 09:35:35 AM »

I dunno, keep in mind how close Alex Sink already came and Crist would have incumbency.

Dems wouldn't trust Crist though, he was a big McCain supporter and he had been wishy-washy. He was a shoe-in for the GOP Senate nod and a win, but he went too close to the Sun so Rubio would have beaten him in the GOP Senate primary.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 02:08:54 PM »

No. He would have lost a Republican Primary, just as he did in the Senate race IRL.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 02:34:31 PM »

He was a Republican in 2010 so yeah probably
MARGINS6729
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 08:08:13 PM »

Crist got pushed out by the Tea Party faction in the GOP who were furious with him for hugging Obama at a rally in Fort Myers.

''Crist is where he is in some quite literal sense because of a hug. In what remains the singular, most memorable moment in his long and varied political life, Charles Joseph Crist in February of 2009 embraced Barack Hussein Obama. At a time when Obama was all of three weeks into his first term and Crist was a wildly popular governor, eyeing a run at the U.S. Senate and seen by many as a potential president in his own right, Crist introduced Obama at a town-hall rally in Fort Myers — a gracious greeting followed by an indelible image. The hug radically altered the trajectory of Crist’s career, snuffing his future as a Republican. In retrospect, the repercussions for Crist were some of the earliest signs of the ratcheting up of the smash-mouth, zero-sum era that rages unabated today.''

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/04/01/charlie-crist-florida-governor-campaign-profile-00022016?fbclid=IwAR0ancOrJIahE1lJUVbTrcVowjt4zhX_rL9Lqi9CS_Jy73c_mPXMfOaSAv0
JMT

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2022, 09:00:39 PM »

Yes, I think if Crist had just run for re-election as Governor as a Republican in 2010 he would’ve won the primary and general.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2022, 09:07:35 PM »

Yes.

But he'd be in the wilderness after 2014.
JMT

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2022, 09:08:25 PM »

It's really bizarre he wanted to become a senator instead of having an easier reelection as chief executive of a major states. FL, along with CA, TX and NY is one of the states I'd definitely prefer the governorship over a senate seat. Senate imho is only more valueable in small states.

If I had to guess, I imagine Crist ran for Senate because there’s no term limits. Had he won the Senate seat, he could’ve potentially remained in the Senate for a long time. Whereas as Governor, he would’ve been term limited in 2014 and therefore been out of office.

Also, when Crist ran for Senate he was initially viewed as the obvious frontrunner in the Republican primary. If I remember correctly, many thought Rubio would actually drop out and run for Governor instead of facing Crist. We obviously now know that Crist made a miscalculation.

I don’t dislike Charlie Crist, but I also think he’ll do whatever possible to remain in political office. He doesn’t really seem to care what party or what office it is. I actually think Crist feared that his House seat would be too gerrymandered to win in 2022, hence why he ran for Governor this year instead. He probably figured he had a slightly better chance of winning the Governorship than being re-elected to the House.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2022, 10:00:18 AM »

He could have left the GOP after winning reelection and run for his old job in 2018 as Dem again. FL term limits - unlike CA - only apply to consecutive terms.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies