Third term elections with no 22nd Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:35:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Third term elections with no 22nd Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Third term elections with no 22nd Amendment  (Read 1135 times)
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2021, 10:52:41 PM »

In a world without the 22nd Amendment how do Eisenhower, Reagan, Clinton, Bush and Obama do in their respective bids for a third term?
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 11:27:38 PM »

I think all except Dubya could've won again.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 12:57:56 AM »

I think Obama would have won in 2016, but I think it would have been considerably closer than people might have expected.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.45, S: -3.91

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 12:45:19 PM »

The first three would win comfortably, Obama would win narrowly, and Bush would’ve lost worse than McCain. My question is, would Reagan have done worse than Bush in 88?
Catalyst138
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 04:34:17 PM »

I think Obama would have won in 2016, but I think it would have been considerably closer than people might have expected.

It would just be the 278 #freiwal map.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 04:07:43 PM »

2016 with Obama running*:

2008 with Bush running (though I doubt he would):

2000 with Clinton running:

1988 with Reagan:

*=Accidentally gave ME 1 to Trump instead of 2.

I think Obama and Reagan could both lose to the right candidate, Obama had pretty lackluster approvals until the very end of his term and I don't think he'd have seen the improvement he saw if he were to run again. As for Reagan, he was noticeably frail at the end and I thus factored it in the result. Without the frailty, Reagan likely would've met or exceeded Bush's real life result against someone like Dukakis.

I think Bush would've declined even if he were able to run. He had a tough Presidency and he seemed pretty eager to go back to Texas. I just made a map for the hell of it.

Clinton would've beaten just about any potential Republican candidate, scandal or not. I think someone like McCain would've given him a genuine run for his money and made it close, but I think in the end Clinton would've eeked it out. Regardless, he'd have fared worse electorally than he did in 1992 or 1996, but ironically might've gotten 50+% of the popular vote, something he never did, with the absence of Perot.
DistingFlyer
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -1.74

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 06:09:49 PM »

If primary battles can be brought up here, Bush in 2008 might have faced a similar situation to 1952 & 1968: a low-enough approval rating, and sufficient discontent even within his own party, that he'd likely get a sufficiently poor result in New Hampshire or Iowa that would either force him out of the race entirely (as it did for Johnson & Truman), or damage him sufficiently to ensure a heavy defeat in the fall.

With the exception of 2020, the defeat of every incumbent since the Second World War has been presaged by a stronger-than-usual primary challenge, and 2008's would have been more serious than most.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies