Opinion of John 3:16
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:49:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of John 3:16
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: skip
Freedom verse

Horrible verse

Taken out of context

Oversimplification of what it means to be Christian

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Opinion of John 3:16  (Read 2315 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2021, 10:03:32 AM »

I am afraid I have a problem with the idea that God had to kill his own son to save anyone.

I hope that no one is offended by that.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 10:04:34 AM »

First and last options.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 10:06:12 AM »

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 08:58:58 PM »

Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 11:14:19 PM »

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 11:15:19 PM »

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 01:58:43 PM »

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 02:34:23 PM »

Of course a single verse is an oversimplification of the entire faith. Are there really people who claim otherwise?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 09:33:39 PM »

I am afraid I have a problem with the idea that God had to kill his own son to save anyone.

I hope that no one is offended by that.

This is why it's important to read the verse in the context of the Gospel of John as a whole, esp. that which precedes this verse.   The Word, who is the God through whom all things are made, became flesh, as the Son - called alternatively the Son of Man or the Son of God.  It is difficult to apprehend but the difficulty is not the same as if we try to equate God killing his son with some person killing their son - the nature of the relationship is not the same.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 12:21:22 AM »

It's odd how often those who hang everything on John 3:16 act as if John 3:17 doesn't exist.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 08:56:45 PM »

Obvious freedom verse, as is every verse in the Bible.

Oversimplification is probably the wrong word, so I couldn't quite bring myself to vote for that option.  It's not really fully taken out of context either, but it is half of a key passage.  I look to what follows, especially John 3:18, as equally important.  John 3:16 is more known because it sounds all good and nice.  Giving the counter example (that no one who doesn't accept Christ can go to Heaven) is very counter to the politically correct notion of religious pluralism, so it gets less attention.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 07:01:33 AM »

Obvious freedom verse, as is every verse in the Bible.

Oversimplification is probably the wrong word, so I couldn't quite bring myself to vote for that option.  It's not really fully taken out of context either, but it is half of a key passage.  I look to what follows, especially John 3:18, as equally important.  John 3:16 is more known because it sounds all good and nice.  Giving the counter example (that no one who doesn't accept Christ can go to Heaven) is very counter to the politically correct notion of religious pluralism, so it gets less attention.

Every verse? Even the ones about dashing infants’ brains against rocks (Psalm 137:9), and variously condoning rape, slavery and genocide?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 09:52:50 AM »

This is probably a hot take, but Psalm 137:9 is an understandable verse much like "Or may your house fall down / illness may bar your way / your loved ones may turn away from you" at the end of Primo Levi's If This Is A Man are understandable verses.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 05:48:07 PM »

This is probably a hot take, but Psalm 137:9 is an understandable verse much like "Or may your house fall down / illness may bar your way / your loved ones may turn away from you" at the end of Primo Levi's If This Is A Man are understandable verses.

I’m not sure if it’s justifiable, although I suppose it is not God who is actually saying the verse. Anyway, I don’t think these troublesome Bible verses are anywhere near the most serious intellectual challenge to Christianity’s claims, I was just highlighting the rather absurd statement from ExtremeRepublican; I don’t think I’ve ever heard many Christian trying to claim that every single Bible verse is good.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 05:59:24 PM »

I’m not sure if it’s justifiable, although I suppose it is not God who is actually saying the verse. Anyway, I don’t think these troublesome Bible verses are anywhere near the most serious intellectual challenge to Christianity’s claims, I was just highlighting the rather absurd statement from ExtremeRepublican; I don’t think I’ve ever heard many Christian trying to claim that every single Bible verse is good.

Well yes, I agree that ExtremeRepublican pretty much brought it to himself.
For that matter, I was piqued by the mention of Psalm 137 because, speaking of WW2 horrors and poetry, it is most notable to me as the main inspiration for one of the most famous (and beautiful) poems of Italian literature, Salvatore Quasimodo's On The Boughs Of The Willows.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 10:14:26 PM »

Considering that as soon as the Jews gained independence John Hyrcanus invaded, conquered and ethnically cleansed the Edomites in revenge, I'm not sure I would say that's a defence.  
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2021, 05:48:26 PM »

Options 3 and 4
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 09:38:08 AM »

The statement "God sent his son to Earth to die for your sins" is literally word salad that makes zero logical sense.  

I have a better one:   "This can of spaghetti-o's is banana.  The cat sees this, and is now God.  Amen."
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 09:39:54 AM »

The statement "God sent his son to Earth to die for your sins" is literally word salad that makes zero logical sense. 

I have a better one:   "This can of spaghetti-o's is banana.  The cat sees this, and is now God."

Neither of these statements is a word salad. The second wouldn't be out of place in something by Shel Silverstein.
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2021, 09:50:11 AM »

I have a better one:   "This can of spaghetti-o's is banana.  The cat sees this, and is now God.  Amen."

To be fair, translations from Ancient Greek and Latin do not work very well in English.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies