Trump 2nd Impeachment News/Talk Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:46:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump 2nd Impeachment News/Talk Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 118
Poll
Question: Should Congress impeach Trump again?
Yes, and let Pence finish the term

Yes, and also Pence

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 347

Author Topic: Trump 2nd Impeachment News/Talk Megathread  (Read 161714 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1800 on: January 18, 2021, 07:46:00 AM »

Seems like the new line is that it’s unconstitutional to try a former president. Do it and see if he sues!

Also Rudy says he won’t be Trump’s lawyer because he’s supposedly a witness in the case. Sad!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1801 on: January 18, 2021, 10:14:19 AM »
« Edited: January 18, 2021, 10:22:54 AM by Torie »

I have posted before that the details of the facts surrounding the delay of Guard deployment and the prospects of Trump being convicted, I believe are very closely related - the potential proverbial smoking gun.

Below is a link to the  timeline that delves into the delay in deploying the National Guard. It is not clear that Trump ever authorized the deployment (rather Pence did it). Here is the relevant paragraph from the article.

"3:19 p.m.: McCarthy explains in a phone call to Sen. Chuck Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that Miller has already approved full DCNG mobilization. Miller later releases a statement saying, “Chairman Milley and I just spoke separately with the Vice President and with Speaker Pelosi, Leader McConnell, Senator Schumer and Representative Hoyer about the situation at the U.S. Capitol. We have fully activated the D.C. National Guard to assist federal and local law enforcement as they work to peacefully address the situation.” No mention is made of Trump’s involvement. [emphasis added.]

Just what the F was Trump doing during these critical hours other than squirting lighter fluid on the fire?

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/01/timeline-of-national-guard-deployment-to-capitol/

Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #1802 on: January 18, 2021, 05:05:09 PM »

I have posted before that the details of the facts surrounding the delay of Guard deployment and the prospects of Trump being convicted, I believe are very closely related - the potential proverbial smoking gun.

Below is a link to the  timeline that delves into the delay in deploying the National Guard. It is not clear that Trump ever authorized the deployment (rather Pence did it). Here is the relevant paragraph from the article.

"3:19 p.m.: McCarthy explains in a phone call to Sen. Chuck Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that Miller has already approved full DCNG mobilization. Miller later releases a statement saying, “Chairman Milley and I just spoke separately with the Vice President and with Speaker Pelosi, Leader McConnell, Senator Schumer and Representative Hoyer about the situation at the U.S. Capitol. We have fully activated the D.C. National Guard to assist federal and local law enforcement as they work to peacefully address the situation.” No mention is made of Trump’s involvement. [emphasis added.]

Just what the F was Trump doing during these critical hours other than squirting lighter fluid on the fire?

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/01/timeline-of-national-guard-deployment-to-capitol/

You're right, Torie. If Trump ignored calls to intervene, he would have to explain why he did that. And since he won't be able to explain his inaction, the only logical conclusion would be that he wanted the insurrection to succeed.

That would be enough for a near unanimous conviction and rejection by the people.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1803 on: January 20, 2021, 10:27:02 PM »

Anyone know when the House will send the articles to the Senate? Do they want to wait a few days to let Biden install his cabinet? I think that's defensible, but they can't wait too long because it will start to look petty.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1804 on: January 20, 2021, 10:32:53 PM »

Anyone know when the House will send the articles to the Senate? Do they want to wait a few days to let Biden install his cabinet? I think that's defensible, but they can't wait too long because it will start to look petty.

Rumor is tomorrow or Friday.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #1805 on: January 21, 2021, 02:59:33 AM »

It's just one article.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1806 on: January 21, 2021, 03:18:19 AM »

They could have done this to try to prevent Barrett from being confirmed, but instead might time it to prevent Biden's cabinet from being confirmed? Amazing.
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #1807 on: January 21, 2021, 03:24:05 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2021, 04:40:18 AM by NY-22 Lincoln Project Voter for Brindisi »

They could have done this to try to prevent Barrett from being confirmed, but instead might time it to prevent Biden's cabinet from being confirmed? Amazing.

There is no way whatsoever the Democrats could have prevented Barrett from being confirmed. The Senate would just immediately dispense with the articles, vote them down, then move on to confirmation.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1808 on: January 21, 2021, 03:25:41 AM »

If RBG died in late December or early January it could have been stopped, but McConnell had so much time to fill the seat that there was no way he could be stopped.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1809 on: January 21, 2021, 04:16:42 AM »

If RBG died in late December or early January it could have been stopped, but McConnell had so much time to fill the seat that there was no way he could be stopped.

Don't confuse him with facts. It's ALWAYS the Democrats' fault in jfern world.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1810 on: January 21, 2021, 04:53:12 AM »

That's not a fact. If the House impeached Trump repeatedly, the Senate wouldn't be able to do anything. But instead they decide to sent impeachments to the Senate right before the Iowa caucus and when Trump is no longer President.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1811 on: January 21, 2021, 05:57:59 AM »

That's not a fact. If the House impeached Trump repeatedly, the Senate wouldn't be able to do anything. But instead they decide to sent impeachments to the Senate right before the Iowa caucus and when Trump is no longer President.

That would be an excellent way for the Dems to not only lose both houses of Congress but also the presidency, because of how this would be framed during a pandemic.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1812 on: January 21, 2021, 06:02:12 AM »

Is it constitutionally mandated that impeachment trials take precedence over all other business in the Senate? Because I think they would have simply nuclear'd through a rule change that allows the majority leader to bring up whatever nominations they want ahead of impeachment trials on the schedule. There are very numerous reasons this wouldn't work, and you know that.

If you want to hit on the House for wasting the Senate's time with an impeachment trial of a president out of office, that's one thing; this particular hypothetical is ridiculous and you know it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1813 on: January 21, 2021, 06:14:01 AM »

Is it constitutionally mandated that impeachment trials take precedence over all other business in the Senate? Because I think they would have simply nuclear'd through a rule change that allows the majority leader to bring up whatever nominations they want ahead of impeachment trials on the schedule. There are very numerous reasons this wouldn't work, and you know that.

If you want to hit on the House for wasting the Senate's time with an impeachment trial of a president out of office, that's one thing; this particular hypothetical is ridiculous and you know it.

Well regardless, it's a joke to have their two trials shortly before the Iowa caucus and once Trump has already left office.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1814 on: January 21, 2021, 06:44:26 AM »

Anyone know when the House will send the articles to the Senate?

Tweet from Fri., Jan. 15th

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1815 on: January 21, 2021, 01:04:31 PM »

They don't have the votes to convict, the D's are only gonna convict Trump to get him to lose his Govt pension.  Or embarrass Trump as R leaders, not I assume, he will get acquitted
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1816 on: January 21, 2021, 03:03:14 PM »

Well regardless, it's a joke to have their two trials shortly before the Iowa caucus and once Trump has already left office.

What a joke to *checks notes* have trials shortly after impeachment.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1817 on: January 21, 2021, 03:22:24 PM »

Butch Bowers will represent Trump at his trial.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1818 on: January 21, 2021, 03:32:17 PM »

(NOT the character from It).
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1819 on: January 21, 2021, 05:26:52 PM »

Most beautiful word in this tweet is "minority".

Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1820 on: January 21, 2021, 08:10:13 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1821 on: January 21, 2021, 08:12:15 PM »

That's pretty generous. They seem to have no case. All but maybe a few hours of those two weeks will probably even be used for preparation, the rest will be the lawyers just d***ing around. It sounds like a good deal for them though.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1822 on: January 21, 2021, 11:59:39 PM »

Because everything and anything McConnell does has to be properly viewed in the most coldly cynical partisan light, I question what his motives are. Yes, it up stenciling gives the Trump team more time to prepare, but I seriously suggest he's looking to eat up as much of Biden's first hundred days as possible to blunt momentum for his legislative agenda. Once impeachments done then you have a bunch of confirmation hearings and then, maybe he's hoping that most Republican and conservative voters will be over the honeymoon phase and willing to support the GOP Congressional caucus going full-on obstructionist.

I mean seriously, we all know that's exactly the type of political calculation that pumps through Mitch's veins rather than actual blood through a heart.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1823 on: January 22, 2021, 12:02:33 AM »

Because everything and anything McConnell does has to be properly viewed in the most coldly cynical partisan light, I question what his motives are. Yes, it up stenciling gives the Trump team more time to prepare, but I seriously suggest he's looking to eat up as much of Biden's first hundred days as possible to blunt momentum for his legislative agenda. Once impeachments done then you have a bunch of confirmation hearings and then, maybe he's hoping that most Republican and conservative voters will be over the honeymoon phase and willing to support the GOP Congressional caucus going full-on obstructionist.

I mean seriously, we all know that's exactly the type of political calculation that pumps through Mitch's veins rather than actual blood through a heart.

Delaying the trial 2-3 weeks into February means confirmations happen before the trial.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1824 on: January 22, 2021, 12:09:48 AM »

Delaying the trial 2-3 weeks into February means confirmations happen before the trial.

Good point.

OK, so what IS Mitch's game then? Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 ... 118  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies