DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 06:59:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 [158] 159 160 161 162 163 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 274798 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3925 on: January 11, 2021, 11:21:56 PM »

2 Capitol Police officers suspended and another individual arrested for their alleged roles in riot

(CNN) -- Two Capitol Police officers have been suspended and another individual has been arrested for their alleged roles in the riot at the US Capitol on January 6, said Rep. Tim Ryan.

"There were two people suspended. One was the selfie officer and another was an officer who had put a MAGA hat on and started directing some people around," said Ryan, an Ohio Democrat who is chair of the House subcommittee handling the investigation into the response to the insurrection. "It was the interim chief who determined that to be qualifying for immediate suspension."

Ryan had fewer details about the individual who was arrested, and was not sure if the person was a police officer or a member of the National Guard. He told reporters he would have more details later.

He added that there are approximately 10 to 15 Capitol Police officers under investigation for their behavior during the riot but did not have more specifics.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/11/politics/capitol-police-officers-suspended-tim-ryan/index.html

"roles in riot", give me a break.  No one died because a police officer let someone take a selfie with him.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3926 on: January 11, 2021, 11:41:51 PM »

2 Capitol Police officers suspended and another individual arrested for their alleged roles in riot

(CNN) -- Two Capitol Police officers have been suspended and another individual has been arrested for their alleged roles in the riot at the US Capitol on January 6, said Rep. Tim Ryan.

"There were two people suspended. One was the selfie officer and another was an officer who had put a MAGA hat on and started directing some people around," said Ryan, an Ohio Democrat who is chair of the House subcommittee handling the investigation into the response to the insurrection. "It was the interim chief who determined that to be qualifying for immediate suspension."

Ryan had fewer details about the individual who was arrested, and was not sure if the person was a police officer or a member of the National Guard. He told reporters he would have more details later.

He added that there are approximately 10 to 15 Capitol Police officers under investigation for their behavior during the riot but did not have more specifics.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/11/politics/capitol-police-officers-suspended-tim-ryan/index.html

"roles in riot", give me a break.  No one died because a police officer let someone take a selfie with him.

Excuse me officer? I know you caught me breaking into this family's home where they barricaded themselves in a bedroom, but would you mind taking a selfie with me real quick?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3927 on: January 11, 2021, 11:43:40 PM »

Alot of the insurgents got arrested already, there will be Protests but not insurrection
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3928 on: January 11, 2021, 11:58:35 PM »

Trump will probably not be removed from office under the 25th Amendment, but his congressional enablers like Cruz and Hawley might like to read the 14th Amendment. It was passed in the aftermath of the Civil War, but it's still perfectly valid today.

"No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof."

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #3929 on: January 12, 2021, 01:03:35 AM »

Trump will probably not be removed from office under the 25th Amendment, but his congressional enablers like Cruz and Hawley might like to read the 14th Amendment. It was passed in the aftermath of the Civil War, but it's still perfectly valid today.

"No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof."

Nothing will come of that.

You cannot remove politicians from Congress for voting a certain way, even if what they were doing was craven and inflammatory. Doing so would do more to "destroy democracy" than that horrible mob did. Unless Trump's "congressional enablers" were also out there giving mob-inciting speeches like he was then it would be wrong to attempt to abuse the 14th Amendment to remove them.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3930 on: January 12, 2021, 01:08:00 AM »

Wow congressional anti-maskers. Thanks for infecting my rep during one of the most consequential weeks of our lives.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3931 on: January 12, 2021, 05:51:11 AM »

If this isn’t white privilege, then I don’t know what is:

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3932 on: January 12, 2021, 06:09:28 AM »

I don't mean this in a vindictive way, although I understand how it might seem like that, but has anyone noticed that Trump supporters are really trashy? Even Trump himself seems to have noticed it, as he reportedly expressed disgust on aesthetic grounds over how “low class” his supporters looked. But it is about behavior as well as appearance. In my view if you really love Trump, and you want to represent him, you have the obligation to look good and carry yourself well, since your behavior reflects on those of Trump supporters as a whole.
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #3933 on: January 12, 2021, 06:32:49 AM »

I don't mean this in a vindictive way, although I understand how it might seem like that, but has anyone noticed that Trump supporters are really trashy? Even Trump himself seems to have noticed it, as he reportedly expressed disgust on aesthetic grounds over how “low class” his supporters looked. But it is about behavior as well as appearance. In my view if you really love Trump, and you want to represent him, you have the obligation to look good and carry yourself well, since your behavior reflects on those of Trump supporters as a whole.

They tried that once - remember Charlottesville? They all dressed in khakis and white polo shirts. Looked even worse.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3934 on: January 12, 2021, 06:33:35 AM »

Tom Daschle speaks out against impeachment, supports censuring Trump

Former Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle warned his party against impeaching President Donald Trump for inciting the mob attack on the Capitol, arguing that even a delayed Senate trial risks impeding urgent action President-elect Joe Biden must take to bolster the economy and combat the Covid-19 pandemic.

Daschle, who led Senate Democrats the last time the chamber was evenly divided, was joined by Trent Lott, who led Senate Republicans at the time, in urging Congress instead to formally censure the president. The two men were also their parties’ Senate leaders during President Bill Clinton’s 1999 impeachment trial.

Daschle called impeachment at a moment that party control of the Senate is so tenuous a “mistake,” saying it would first “galvanize” Trump’s supporters and then delay work on crucial issues. Incoming Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has favored proceeding, even with the coming 50-50 split in the chamber.

“An impeachment mechanism is just not the right course at all if they want to hold the president accountable,” Daschle said at a forum Monday with Lott held by the Bipartsian Policy Center.

Dasche said a censure vote is “the most appropriate approach,” adding that “it’s definitive, it’s final, it doesn’t send the whole matter to the Senate and require another trial.”
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3935 on: January 12, 2021, 07:21:46 AM »

In defence of the rioters (never thought I'd say that), I am pretty sure that muslim prisoners get halal food and jewish prisoners get Kosher food if they request it (to put just a few examples). How is that any different?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #3936 on: January 12, 2021, 07:38:22 AM »

WTF?

I double checked this, and it's true. What the ACTUAL F!?

WHY? Why would anybody do this?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3937 on: January 12, 2021, 08:15:04 AM »

In defence of the rioters (never thought I'd say that), I am pretty sure that muslim prisoners get halal food and jewish prisoners get Kosher food if they request it (to put just a few examples). How is that any different?

None of which should be happening. I'm a semi-observant Jew, and I believe that in prison, you should get whatever is served to everyone, unless there is a legitimate reason, like a food allergy.

Religion isn't a legitimate reason to treat any prisoner differently from any other prisoner.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3938 on: January 12, 2021, 08:17:15 AM »

None of which should be happening. I'm a semi-observant Jew, and I believe that in prison, you should get whatever is served to everyone, unless there is a legitimate reason, like a food allergy.

Religion isn't a legitimate reason to treat any prisoner differently from any other prisoner.

If you're not allowing someone to observe their religious customs, that's a "cruel and unusal punishment"
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3939 on: January 12, 2021, 08:40:18 AM »

There's probably some sort of reasonable accommodation test: for example, it's probably a reasonable accommodation for the prison mess hall to offer a pork-free option for Jewish and Muslim inmates. It isn't a reasonable accomodation to offer one inmate an organic Whole Foods diet.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3940 on: January 12, 2021, 08:46:17 AM »

Nothing will come of that.

You cannot remove politicians from Congress for voting a certain way, even if what they were doing was craven and inflammatory. Doing so would do more to "destroy democracy" than that horrible mob did. Unless Trump's "congressional enablers" were also out there giving mob-inciting speeches like he was then it would be wrong to attempt to abuse the 14th Amendment to remove them.

What about this?

Colorado Rep. Boebert Under Scrutiny For Tweets Relaying 'Intel' During Capitol Attack

The tweets, which received fresh scrutiny after being widely recirculated by Boebert's critics on Sunday, were sent in the minutes after a violent mob of President Donald Trump's supporters breached the Capitol building on the afternoon of Jan. 6. As rioters, who killed one U.S. Capitol Police officer and injured many others, began rampaging through the building and vocally targeting elected officials, Boebert's Twitter account relayed information concerning the whereabouts of members of Congress, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

"We were locked in the House Chambers," Boebert tweeted at 2:17 p.m. One minute later, she added: "The Speaker has been removed from the chambers."
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3941 on: January 12, 2021, 08:48:05 AM »

There's probably some sort of reasonable accommodation test: for example, it's probably a reasonable accommodation for the prison mess hall to offer a pork-free option for Jewish and Muslim inmates. It isn't a reasonable accommodation to offer one inmate an organic Whole Foods diet.

There's more than simply not serving pork when it comes to Hebrew and Islamic dietary limitations.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3942 on: January 12, 2021, 09:50:15 AM »

Just to show how close to disaster we were:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/12/us/capitol-police-eugene-goodman-riots-senate-chambers-trnd/index.html

(CNN) -- A US Capitol Police officer bounded up the stairs of the Capitol building, a growing mob of insurrectionists behind him. Using himself as "bait," he lured the rioters away from the entrance to the Senate chambers, where lawmakers were still debating an objection to Arizona's Electoral College vote count.

[...]

At one point, Goodman arrives at a landing and looks to a hallway to his left. A door in that hallway led to the Senate chambers, Wilson wrote in a tweet. Goodman then leads the rioters to the right, away from the Senate chambers -- and their "targets," Wilson said.

Goodman leads them into a larger hall, and backup officers arrive -- still outnumbered by rioters. Bobic stopped recording and was evacuated shortly afterward, he said.

Bobic said Goodman herded the rioters away from the Senate Chambers at 2:14 p.m. Senators were alerted that protesters had breached the Capitol building just one minute earlier, according to CNN's timeline of events from Wednesday's riot. Vice President Mike Pence wouldn't be evacuated from the Senate until 2:30 p.m.

[...]

It could have been a hostage situation or worse.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #3943 on: January 12, 2021, 10:07:42 AM »

If this isn’t white privilege, then I don’t know what is:

That's not white privilege, that's just what happens in prisons, and I don't even see how that's a bad thing, as long as anyone is allowed to request such a meal for religious reasons regardless of race.

I'm pretty sure that even prisoners on death row can request anything at all for their last meal.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3944 on: January 12, 2021, 10:49:18 AM »

"Strict shaman diet" is only a thing if you’re, you know, an actual shaman. Roll Eyes
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3945 on: January 12, 2021, 10:51:06 AM »

"Strict shaman diet" is only a thing if you’re, you know, an actual shaman. Roll Eyes

If he's in jail long, they'll run out of strict shamans.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3946 on: January 12, 2021, 11:15:19 AM »

Rep. Brad Schneider tests positive for COVID:

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3947 on: January 12, 2021, 11:18:28 AM »

If you're not allowing someone to observe their religious customs, that's a "cruel and unusal punishment"

Technically that guy is justifying the organic food thing based of some dumb neonazi pagan religion. So if you are going with a religious freedom argument, it would apply to him as well
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3948 on: January 12, 2021, 11:19:48 AM »

Rep. Brad Schneider tests positive for COVID:

How many members of Congress, since the start of the pandemic, have contracted the virus? The number must be at least 40 or 50 by now.
neostassenite31
« Reply #3949 on: January 12, 2021, 11:38:33 AM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/12/trump-defends-pre-riot-speech-458129

This morning, Trump defends his pre-riot speech: "...what I said was totally appropriate."
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 [158] 159 160 161 162 163 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies