DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:27:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 269379 times)
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: January 06, 2021, 05:22:50 PM »

Trump should not be impeached or removed from office. That would turn him into a martyr and further radicalized his supporters.

At this point, his supporters’ needs or wishes are irrelevant.

Trump is leaving office in 2 weeks. Removing him a few days early is not worth the cost.

I do think you are posting in good faith. It's a reasonable thing to be concerned about.

But what the hell is the point of impeachment if we don't practice it on someone who helped advocate for insurrection?
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #851 on: January 06, 2021, 05:23:20 PM »

BREAKING: Amid chaos in DC, man calmly sells hot-dogs and hamburgers to passersby
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #852 on: January 06, 2021, 05:23:27 PM »

Trump should not be impeached or removed from office. That would turn him into a martyr and further radicalized his supporters.

Trump is leaving office in 2 weeks. Removing him a few days early is not worth the cost.

I do think you are posting in good faith. It's a reasonable thing to be concerned about.

But what the hell is the point of impeachment if we don't practice it on someone who helped advocate for insurrection?
The truth is it never really meant anything
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #853 on: January 06, 2021, 05:23:28 PM »

A$$holes.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #854 on: January 06, 2021, 05:23:40 PM »

IIRC, the most recent time an angry mob invaded a national legislature was in 2017 in Macedonia, when far-right groups violently entered the building in response to election of an ethnic Albanian as speaker.

So congratulations, oldest democracy in the world, today you're as democratic as a small, forgettable ex-Yugo country.

Wasn't the Armenian parliament invaded after the country surrendered during their recent war?

Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #855 on: January 06, 2021, 05:24:01 PM »

As awful as this is, the silver lining might be the permanent delegitimisation of MAGA in all but the craziest of corners (admittedly still quite large corners).

Also, Cruz and Hawley are finished after this. Most of their GOP colleagues (including McConnell) already hated them for their pathetic little stunt, and I can only imagine what they feel now that they’ve put their lives in danger.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #856 on: January 06, 2021, 05:24:08 PM »

I’m so relieved that I didn’t give in to the temptations I had multiple times during the last year to vote for Trump .

He’s such a terrible human being , and I would have felt guilty  it for a long long time if I had done so , so I’m so relieved that I refused to vote for the guy

Wow, you’re so brave. You heard the President talk and act like a fascist for four years and you courageously decided at the last second not to vote for him. I hope you get a medal of freedom.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #857 on: January 06, 2021, 05:24:20 PM »

But what about the cost of not doing it? I'm not concerned about what happens over the next two weeks, but I am concerned about the impact a precedent like that could have for centuries.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #858 on: January 06, 2021, 05:24:20 PM »

Omolloy
Rookie
« Reply #859 on: January 06, 2021, 05:24:29 PM »

SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #860 on: January 06, 2021, 05:24:45 PM »

Worth it to ban him from running in 2024.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #861 on: January 06, 2021, 05:24:47 PM »

Catharsis.  Not just for those protesting/rioting today, but for all of us.  It takes events like this for our national purpose to be allowed to change and update.  Whatever may come of this, we should relish this opportunity to break the "end of history" ethos that has strangled our spirit for the past 30 years.

If we had a more transformative Democrat as president-elect (i.e., not Biden), he would go on national television tonight to announce the immediate establishment of a provisional government, reconstitute the House and Senate (w/ Ossoff and Perdue being seated immediately) and implement martial law.

Use this opportunity to flip the table and unleash all the pent-up social/political change we've needed since WWII.   

And somehow, you clumsy little fart, you still wind up blaming Biden for this somehow rather than your mango Mussolini.

You are utterly irredeemable.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #862 on: January 06, 2021, 05:24:59 PM »

I wonder if Republicans will fall below 10% in Arlington County after this.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #863 on: January 06, 2021, 05:25:09 PM »

Bill Maher is going to be the most smug motherf—ker in the world when he comes back on the air.

But you know what? He’s earned it. That man saw Trump’s psyche more clearly than anyone, earlier than anyone. He knew there was no way in hell Trump would ever leave peacefully and said it a million times over the past four years. Even I thought he was going too far, that Trump was ultimately more bluster than anything. But Maher stood steadfast to his prediction and deserves credit for calling it before anyone else.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #864 on: January 06, 2021, 05:25:22 PM »

As awful as this is, the silver lining might be the permanent delegitimisation of MAGA in all but the craziest of corners (admittedly still quite large corners).

Also, Cruz and Hawley are finished after this. Most of their GOP colleagues (including McConnell) already hated them for their pathetic little stunt, and I can only imagine what they feel now that they’ve put their lives in danger.

One can only dream.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #865 on: January 06, 2021, 05:25:33 PM »

Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #866 on: January 06, 2021, 05:25:44 PM »

You're right, we should reward him for inciting an insurrection at the Capitol and let him stay in office for four more years!

F*** That S***
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #867 on: January 06, 2021, 05:26:01 PM »

"When protestors tried to take the Capitol"
hahahaha
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #868 on: January 06, 2021, 05:26:05 PM »

IIRC, the most recent time an angry mob invaded a national legislature was in 2017 in Macedonia, when far-right groups violently entered the building in response to election of an ethnic Albanian as speaker.

So congratulations, oldest democracy in the world, today you're as democratic as a small, forgettable ex-Yugo country.

Wasn't the Armenian parliament invaded after the country surrendered during their recent war?

Maybe? I googled it and didn't find anything. Are you thinking of this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_parliament_shooting

In any case, losing a war due to having a joke of an army thanks to you country being led by self-serving morons is hell of a more justification for invading your parliament than "waaaa my guy lost".
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #869 on: January 06, 2021, 05:26:22 PM »

Virginia National Guard (possibly state troopers, can't quite tell, heard both) is now sweeping the Capitol. I'm not sure if they're aiming to fully clear it or just make sure everyone is where they think it is, but that's very good news.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #870 on: January 06, 2021, 05:26:27 PM »

I have to say, Mike Gallagher's comment on CBS just now was rather flaccid.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #871 on: January 06, 2021, 05:26:33 PM »

Until today, I didn't think the Biden DOJ should charge Trump and it should be left to NY but now bring it on AG Garland.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #872 on: January 06, 2021, 05:26:37 PM »

The difference, of course, is that the lefties were unarmed.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #873 on: January 06, 2021, 05:26:51 PM »

Y'all probably already saw this but Rep. Cori Bush is calling for the expulsion of the "coup caucus"

They deserve it. But practically, it cannot and should not ever happen. Because it will lead to more strife and more pain, as the crazies will see nothing but the "radical left" persecuting true patriots or some garbage. And so those fools Cruz and Hawley who helped pry open this Pandora's Box of insanity will get off scot free and can adjust their public image accordingly after the fact.

It's horrible.

These crazy will see the "radical left" persecuting true patriots no matter what happens. All it took for them to assault the government was a fair and free election that didn't go their way. There's zero point in trying to pander to these people, they will just see what they want to see. They're the same people who think Joe Biden of all people is a radical leftist.

Exactly. And if we go so far as to do something like this, legal and justified it may be, totally unprecedented since the Civil War?

Well, it'll be civil war.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #874 on: January 06, 2021, 05:27:00 PM »

White privilege on full display for all the world to see.  Black Lives Matter protesters would have been massacred had they tried anything like what we just witnessed.  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies