DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:13:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 269022 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2021, 09:35:57 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2021, 09:38:06 PM »

Someone's phone is going off loudly in the Senate lmao, what a Boomer ringtone
What was the ringtone?

Some sort of rumba/salsa chiptune thing.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2021, 09:50:37 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2021, 10:03:51 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2021, 10:21:43 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2021, 12:00:44 AM »

This may not be the mood right now, but I do still feel some sympathy for the woman killed today and especially her family. QAnon is a predatory group that is targeted at people who are already not in a great place in their life or a great place mentally. I obviously don't support what she did today, but I really don't think we should be looking at her death as a "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" situation like we should Kelly Loeffler's life right now.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2021, 12:33:23 AM »

HB 313 Act to Tax all State Panhandles $100 per Hour per Acre
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2021, 12:56:50 AM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2021, 01:09:29 AM »

With all of the Videos (showing the people and their Trump Flags)- Its somewhat bewildering to hear some people on FOX suggest ANTIFA may be partially responsible for storming the capitol today.  The clip I saw when I flipped to see how they were covering it was prior VP nominee Sarah Palin (she said something of the sort).

Although she's a bit bizarre- one sentence would be totally crazy like the ANTIFA mention, then she would say a few things that sounded remotely reasonable, before going back to crazy talk.

Part of the argument I think is that Antifa people dressed up in Trump gear to deliberately deceive everyone as part of a false flag operation.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2021, 01:24:13 AM »
« Edited: January 07, 2021, 01:40:25 AM by Crumpets »

Cop holding door open: "Oh, I'm sorry, am I not holding the door open enough for you?  Please take some parting gifts from the art wing before you leave."

It is unbelievable that these people were allowed to galavant around the Capitol armed and threatening further insurrection. Maybe I had an incorrect perception of how American law enforcement would respond to an armed threat to government officials, but I seriously doubt that other groups would be treated with such neutrality if they were to storm the f**king United States Capitol building.

Heck, I was on a tour of the Capitol back in 2008 and there was an old lady in our group who had a tiny pair of scissors in her purse. It came up on the x-ray and the Capitol Police told her to throw it in the trash. Her friend went outside and put them on the top of a trash can. The Capitol Police proceeded to yell at them that, according to regulations, all confiscated material must be placed in the trash and on the trash didn't count. I'm sure they stuck to the letter of the law to the same extent today and thoroughly searched everyone who entered for prohibited material. Either that or the police treat far right militia members and rioters differently than the rest of us.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2021, 03:05:21 AM »

what are the chances they can track down most of these people?  on the plus side Trump freaks don't wear masks.

Well, feds, we'd sure love to help you there. Maybe you guys could have done a better job identifying the perpetrators if you, oh, I don't know, maybe ARRESTED THEM AT THE SCENE?!?

BTW, FBI, great job at your domestic counterintelligence unit missing literally a couple thousand known violent political radicals organizing storming the US Capitol itself. Great job all around! Now kindly pull your pants up from around your ankles and start doing your damn jobs.

Obviously too busy focusing on BLM and Antifa activists to deal with Extreme Right-Wing Political Formations...

J. Edgar Hoover would have had "all the usual suspects rounded up in a heartbeat" had any similar coup been attempted during his long (and glorious career).

Plus he had the goodies on ever single president since at minimum FDR, not to mention many US-Senators and House Members to call the chips on in the event that any cray cray politicians could pull stunts to endanger National Security.

*** Note I am not a J.E. Hoover Fan, but yeah the FBI has historically been "blind in the right eye" for decades ***

tbf, it is entirely plausible that the FBI has been successively weakened by lack of funding and skilled personnel over recent decades, and I believe recently we had a highly politicized political report that the current greatest threat from Terrorism in the US came from Right-Wing political formations, and not Leftist domestic political formations, and even foreign terrorist actions on US soil was pretty much at the lowest level threat.

Still, looking like the DC Police are doing their job and rounding up the "Insurgents" at their Hotel Rooms in DC and throughout Metro DC as we speak.

Smile... you are on camera in the people's house, no masks on for the most part.  We got CCTV all around the joint, and we gonna pick you up at your Hotel Rooms and Airports before you leave town.

Although some of these individuals might not previously have been on the Federal Domestic Terrorist Watch List, most of those who committed Federal Offenses currently are flagged...

It's a flip side to one of favorite movie Casablanca from the early 1940s, where Anti-Fascist Rick during WW II, ends up flipping the "Round up the usual suspects" line, while the German Officer in the French Territory occupied by the NAZIs tries to call for help...   Wink

This was basically McConnell and some of the other Repubs today too:

I am shocked, SHOCKED to find there is anti-democratic sentiment in this party!
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2021, 01:35:33 PM »

My nerd thoughts now that we're more removed from the initial emotional shock of yesterday:

This was a great example of the need for nested military/political campaigns. Trump was ready to act on the grand strategic level however was necessary. The rioters achieved a massive tactical victory with the takeover of the Capitol building. However, that tactical victory wasn't nested in an operational-level or strategic-level campaign that would have carried that victory through to later victories and it allowed the pro-democracy forces to not only regain control of the Capitol within hours, but for the political victory of finishing carrying out the vote to be over and done later that night. If you're going to launch a coup, you can't just rely on having the president and rabble rousers (and quite possibly some amount of the city/Capitol police) on your side. You need people at all levels acting in concert with one another, which the democratic groups had yesterday and the Trump groups did not.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2021, 01:42:21 PM »

I stand by my statement that he's my favorite House Republican. Meanwhile on former "not so bad" Dan Crenshaw's Twitter, he does have a video where he calls on Trump and others to "stop this," right above this lovely tweet:

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2021, 01:56:08 PM »

I guess she isn't going to do the 25th Amendment?

Coward. Doesn't want to expose her hubby to the political Fallout of having to take a stand for basic American principles of democracy.

Not leaving until Monday, leaves the option available if needed.

Is there any distinction between a member of the cabinet and an acting member of the cabinet as far as the 25th Amendment goes? I'm assuming there's no precedent on the matter, so you'd basically have to get everyone on board to make it as clear as possible before Trump inevitably tries to sue to stay in power.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2021, 03:25:24 PM »

Trump is going to Camp David.

I'm sure it's because he's "feeling unwell" or something.  Wink
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2021, 04:34:26 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2021, 05:35:22 PM »

State Department official Gabriel Noronha has been fired on White House orders after he tweeted that Trump should be removed from office:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/07/politics/gabriel-noronha-fired-tweet/index.html

See, this is how you "resign in protest" if you actually have guts and integrity.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2021, 05:40:15 PM »

One thought that occurred to me today: I genuinely doubt Trump will rest in state under the Capitol rotunda when he dies now.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2021, 05:54:38 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2021, 06:28:49 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2021, 07:50:00 PM »

The video is actually very good. He should have recorded this video on November 6 or 7 when it became clear that he had lost the election.

He should resign now to avoid being impeached and Pence should pardon him.

Agreed, it's about as presidential as Trump gets.

Today is the day Trump became President. Wink
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2021, 08:25:43 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2021, 02:19:32 AM »

🤔

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2021, 02:21:47 PM »

The title is a bit misleading, since I think this is before the main events of the day, but still. Great optics.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2021, 04:13:20 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies