DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:24:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193 194 [195] 196 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 269110 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4850 on: April 14, 2021, 01:43:46 PM »

Brave hero who killed the terrorist known as Ashli Babbitt will NOT be charged

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4851 on: April 14, 2021, 09:18:14 PM »

Armed ‘quick reaction force’ was waiting for order to storm Capitol, Justice Dept. says

As the Capitol was overrun on Jan. 6, armed supporters of President Donald Trump were waiting across the Potomac in Virginia for orders to bring guns into the fray, a prosecutor said Wednesday in federal court.

The Justice Department has repeatedly highlighted comments from some alleged riot participants who discussed being part of a “quick reaction force” with stashes of weapons. Defendants have dismissed those conversations as bluster. But in a detention hearing for Kenneth Harrelson, accused of conspiring with other members of the Oath Keepers militia group to stop the certification of Joe Biden’s election win, Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeffrey S. Nestler said the government has evidence indicating otherwise.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4852 on: April 14, 2021, 09:47:59 PM »

Don't know if this was already covered in this thread, but a defendant who was accused of beating several officers during the January 6 coup attempt is claiming he is having a real-life Shawshank Redemption experience:

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4853 on: April 15, 2021, 09:47:31 AM »

US Capitol rioter who tried to flee to Switzerland is jailed pre-trial.

A geophysicist who allegedly beat police officers who were trying to help injured rioters during the US Capitol siege will be jailed before trial, a federal judge ruled Wednesday, citing the man's ham-handed attempt to flee to Switzerland as proof that he poses a literal flight risk.

Judge Emmet Sullivan said Jeffrey Sabol was too dangerous to release due to the flight risk and because he might continue his fight against "perceived tyranny" once he is out of jail.

"He stripped a vulnerable police officer of his police baton," Sullivan wrote in a 64-page ruling. "He then used that stolen police baton to force another officer away from his post and into a mob of rioters who proceeded to viciously attack him, leaving him bleeding from the head."

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/14/politics/capitol-riot-switzerland-suicide/index.html

How in the world, does a geophysicist fall for trump related stupidity (and worse, attend an Insurrection and beat police officers)?
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #4854 on: April 15, 2021, 10:16:16 AM »

A geophysicist who allegedly beat police officers who were trying to help injured rioters during the US Capitol siege will be jailed before trial, a federal judge ruled Wednesday, citing the man's ham-handed attempt to flee to Switzerland as proof that he poses a literal flight risk.

Judge Emmet Sullivan said Jeffrey Sabol was too dangerous to release due to the flight risk and because he might continue his fight against "perceived tyranny" once he is out of jail.

"He stripped a vulnerable police officer of his police baton," Sullivan wrote in a 64-page ruling. "He then used that stolen police baton to force another officer away from his post and into a mob of rioters who proceeded to viciously attack him, leaving him bleeding from the head."

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/14/politics/capitol-riot-switzerland-suicide/index.html

How in the world, does a geophysicist fall for trump related stupidity (and worse, attend an Insurrection and beat police officers)?

Education doesn't make you intelligent - or more importantly, empathy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4855 on: April 15, 2021, 11:20:35 AM »

Yep. That is, incidentally, demonstrated regularly in this forum
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4856 on: April 15, 2021, 01:09:47 PM »

As I've said before, many people with degrees are ignorant and can be prone to the worst kinds of conspiracy theories. A degree doesn't give you common sense-life and work experience do.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4857 on: April 15, 2021, 11:17:57 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4858 on: April 16, 2021, 12:25:04 AM »

The government’s long-standing theory in the case is that the extremist group came prepared for violence on Jan. 6 and stashed firearms just outside of Washington, DC, which they could easily access via a “quick reaction force” or “QRF.” Until this week, though, prosecutors had shared little evidence other than text messages that referenced a special force. Wednesday’s hearing featured the government’s most comprehensive presentation to date that such a plan was at least partially put into action.

Dozens of people are charged with assaulting police during the riots, but the Oath Keepers case is one of the few that include specific allegations that rioters had planned for violence and specifically made arrangements to have access to guns in DC, where firearms are generally restricted.

Prosecutors filed a brief earlier this week alleging that Kenneth Harrelson of Florida was recorded on the morning of Jan. 7 at the Comfort Inn Ballston in Arlington, Virginia, rolling a luggage cart with what appeared to be a rifle case; the hotel is less than 8 miles from the Capitol. Harrelson is one of 12 people affiliated with the Oath Keepers who have been indicted on charges that they conspired to interfere with Congress’s certification of the election.

Department of Justice
Prosecutors say surveillance video from a Virginia hotel shows Kenneth Harrelson with what appears to be a rifle case.

During Wednesday’s hearing — where the government successfully argued to keep Harrelson behind bars pending a trial — Assistant US Attorney Jeffrey Nestler said the evidence didn’t include images of guns, but that investigators had studied the footage from the Comfort Inn and believed it showed Harrelson and other members bringing out weapons the day after the insurrection.

Nothing says "coup arms stash" like the Comfort Inn.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4859 on: April 16, 2021, 02:40:48 PM »

Heavy metal guitarist is first US Capitol rioter to plead guilty.

A heavy metal guitarist with ties to the Oath Keepers pleaded guilty Friday to two crimes related to the US Capitol insurrection, making him the first rioter to do so.

Jon Ryan Schaffer pleaded guilty to obstruction of an official proceeding and entering a building with a dangerous weapon. He admitted to carrying bear spray into the Capitol complex during the formal certification of the Electoral College votes.

https://us.cnn.com/2021/04/16/politics/oath-keepers-capitol-guilty-plea-schaffer/index.html
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #4860 on: April 16, 2021, 06:41:26 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2021, 06:44:49 PM by The Trump Virus »

Hitler became dictator on the second try.  We need to stop referring to what happened on January 6 as a "riot" or a "protest" and call it what it was--the attempted overthrow of our government.

These people did not go away.

There needs to be consequences for all involved or this becomes dress rehearsal for the next insurrection.

And every time I call these people traitors, and point blank call out posters like Fuzzy Bear or SirWoodbury for their treason, I am silenced by the mods.  Republicans are traitors, all of them, and I will never not call them that.  Not after who they uplifted into power, knowing full well what he was capable of, excusing the terrorists on January 6, and continuing to promote an election conspiracy theory.  They are all traitors.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #4861 on: April 16, 2021, 10:28:27 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2021, 10:49:49 PM by Abdullah »

Hitler became dictator on the second try.  We need to stop referring to what happened on January 6 as a "riot" or a "protest" and call it what it was--the attempted overthrow of our government.

There needs to be consequences for all involved or this becomes dress rehearsal for the next insurrection.

And every time I call these people traitors, and point blank call out posters like Fuzzy Bear or SirWoodbury for their treason, I am silenced by the mods.  Republicans are traitors, all of them, and I will never not call them that.  Not after who they uplifted into power, knowing full well what he was capable of, excusing the terrorists on January 6, and continuing to promote an election conspiracy theory.  They are all traitors.

All 70 million? That's quite the generalization.

I don't like the Republican Party either, but most Republicans disapproved of the attempted insurrection on January 06 (far from excusing them), and many Republicans have accepted the results of the election (and more will continue to do so as time goes on and Biden remains in the White house).

These sweeping statements are not healthy for our democracy, and if that's the type of stuff the moderators are removing, I'm all for it.

Also, do you have a proposed solution for dealing with the alleged treason of 70 million people? You can't lock up 70% of Wyoming's population, and you're definitely not gonna rehabilitate Republicans by calling them traitors over and over.

All that needs to be done is consequences for the people directly involved who attended the insurrection, like the Confederate flag guy, the viking hat guy, and maybe Trump and Hawley too.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4862 on: April 16, 2021, 10:55:33 PM »

I don't like the Republican Party either, but most Republicans disapproved of the attempted insurrection on January 06 (far from excusing them), and many Republicans have accepted the results of the election (and more will continue to do so as time goes on and Biden remains in the White house).

These sweeping statements are not healthy for our democracy, and if that's the type of stuff the moderators are removing, I'm all for it.

Also, do you have a proposed solution for dealing with the alleged treason of 70 million people? You can't lock up 70% of Wyoming's population, and you're definitely not gonna rehabilitate Republicans by calling them traitors over and over.

All that needs to be done is consequences for the people directly involved who attended the insurrection, like the Confederate flag guy, the viking hat guy, and maybe Trump and Hawley too.

Are more Republicans really coming around to accepting Biden's victory? In a poll just this week almost 80% said his win was fraudulent.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #4863 on: April 16, 2021, 11:04:59 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2021, 11:43:17 PM by Abdullah »

Are more Republicans really coming around to accepting Biden's victory? In a poll just this week almost 80% said his win was fraudulent.

Your 80% figure is probably from the recent Quinnipiac poll where voters were asked whether they believed voter fraud or voter suppression was a greater problem. There, Republicans said by 82 - 11% that voter fraud was a bigger problem, while Democrats said the opposite by a similar margin. The 2020 election is not mentioned in this poll, though.

Going off Reuters‐Ipsos poll numbers, in mid-November 2020, 59% of Republicans said they believed that it was closest to their view that the 2020 election result was "The result of illegal voting or election rigging". In late March 2021, the same question was asked by the same agency in the exact same manner, and by then, the number of Republicans agreeing with that statement was at 55%.

This is a definite decrease and I personally expect that number to go farther and farther down as the economy improves and Biden stays. The Republicans will be forced to accept the truth.

In fact, I'm quite optimistic about the near future in the United States at present. Things are mostly looking up and the D.C. rioters are getting prosecuted.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #4864 on: April 17, 2021, 04:19:11 AM »

Yea, not making generalizations would be fine and all.

Except that Republicans knew going into this exactly the kind of person Trump is...the threat to democracy he posed was on full display the whole time...and he point blank said he would not accept any result in which he lost, saying there would be no peaceful transfer of power...yet they overwhelmingly supported him anyway, and continue to do so.

At a certain point, it is no longer acceptable to vote for a demagogue because they support your view of abortion.  When the cost is literally the destruction of the United States government?  Yea, that makes one a traitor.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4865 on: April 17, 2021, 10:06:18 AM »

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4866 on: April 17, 2021, 10:07:20 AM »

_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #4867 on: April 17, 2021, 10:47:32 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2021, 10:51:15 AM by Abdullah »

Yea, not making generalizations would be fine and all.

Except that Republicans knew going into this exactly the kind of person Trump is...the threat to democracy he posed was on full display the whole time...and he point blank said he would not accept any result in which he lost, saying there would be no peaceful transfer of power...yet they overwhelmingly supported him anyway, and continue to do so.

At a certain point, it is no longer acceptable to vote for a demagogue because they support your view of abortion.  When the cost is literally the destruction of the United States government?  Yea, that makes one a traitor.

First of all, mistakenly believing that the 2020 election was rigged does not constitute as treason, it's just a dumb conspiracy, like Chemtrails and whatnot. As I said earlier, most Republicans disapproved of the insurrection on January 06, and most Republicans definitely do not support the destruction of the United States government lol.

Also, my other question still stands, what do you want to happen? You keep complaining but you provide no solutions. Do you want to lock up every one of the 70 million Republicans? Do you want some kind of civil war? It sure sounds like that, NGL, and if that were to be true, it'd make you far worse than the average Republican.

I think what's going on is sufficient, the people who were at the insurrection are all getting arrested and prosecuted, as can clearly be seen on the above thread, and the Republicans who believe the election was stolen are slowly fading into irrelevancy and less and less people believe in the conspiracy. By 2023 or so, they'll probably all be gone.

No matter what it is in favor of, this GIF will always be cringe.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4868 on: April 17, 2021, 07:37:24 PM »

The effects of that day will still be felt for some time to come.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4869 on: April 18, 2021, 11:47:41 AM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4870 on: April 19, 2021, 11:57:36 AM »

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4871 on: April 21, 2021, 12:22:33 AM »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/facial-recognition-capitol-defendants_n_607f34c0e4b0df3610c17614

Feds Track Down Capitol Rioter With Facial Recognition Hit On His Girlfriend’s Instagram.

Stephen Chase Randolph, federal authorities say, knocked over a U.S. Capitol Police officer manning the barriers at the building, “causing [Officer-1]’s head to hit the stairs behind her, resulting in a loss of consciousness.” He then “continued to assault two other USCP officers by physically pushing, shoving, grabbing, and generally resisting the officers and interfering with their official duties,” the federal officials said.

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4872 on: April 24, 2021, 03:07:23 PM »

Capitol rioter arrested after being turned in by match on online dating app Bumble.

The Justice Department has charged a Capitol rioter who was turned in by someone he matched with on the dating app Bumble, after he bragged about his exploits on January 6.

According to court documents, one week after the attack, Robert Chapman of New York told one of his Bumble matches that "I did storm the Capitol" and said that he "made it all the way into Statuary Hall." He also claimed that he was interviewed by members of the media.
The other Bumble user replied, "we are not a match."

https://us.cnn.com/2021/04/23/politics/bumble-capitol-riot-robert-chapman/index.html
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4873 on: April 25, 2021, 01:03:42 PM »

This seems to have been overlooked last week:

US Capitol Police officer allegedly told units to only monitor for 'anti-Trump' protesters on January 6
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4874 on: April 28, 2021, 12:09:44 PM »

Video interview with DC Metropolitan Police Officer Michael Fanone who talks to CNN's Don Lemon about his experience during the January 6 insurrection on the US Capitol.

Click here to watch ... https://us.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/04/28/officer-michael-fanone-ctn-capitol-attack-intv-vpx.cnn
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193 194 [195] 196 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies