DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:09:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 191 192 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 269021 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4650 on: February 04, 2021, 06:12:56 PM »

This is getting very meta.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4651 on: February 05, 2021, 08:53:05 AM »

The Onion throws in the towel, just starts reporting news:

The Nancy Mace-AOC feud, briefly explained
On Thursday morning, Mace took to Twitter and accused Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) of lying during an account of what she went through on January 6 that she shared during an Instagram livestream earlier this week.

Ocasio-Cortez said that on that day, she feared for her life when she heard banging on doors and someone yelling, “Where is she?” while she hid in a bathroom. She thought the yelling might be coming from Trump-supporting rioters, only to later discover that the commotion was actually coming from a Capitol Police officer.

Mace mischaracterized Ocasio-Cortez’s account. While Ocasio-Cortez never actually claimed rioters entered the office building she and Mace share, Mace suggested she did, tweeting, “I’m two doors down from @aoc and no insurrectionists stormed our hallway.”

VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4652 on: February 05, 2021, 09:32:52 AM »

The Onion throws in the towel, just starts reporting news:

The Nancy Mace-AOC feud, briefly explained
On Thursday morning, Mace took to Twitter and accused Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) of lying during an account of what she went through on January 6 that she shared during an Instagram livestream earlier this week.

Ocasio-Cortez said that on that day, she feared for her life when she heard banging on doors and someone yelling, “Where is she?” while she hid in a bathroom. She thought the yelling might be coming from Trump-supporting rioters, only to later discover that the commotion was actually coming from a Capitol Police officer.

Mace mischaracterized Ocasio-Cortez’s account. While Ocasio-Cortez never actually claimed rioters entered the office building she and Mace share, Mace suggested she did, tweeting, “I’m two doors down from @aoc and no insurrectionists stormed our hallway.”

This has to be the biggest nothingburger I've read in a long time.

(this is coming from someone who doesn't have a pathological hatred of AOC unlike most Republicans and dislikes her less than some *Democrats* on here.)
LtNOWIS

« Reply #4653 on: February 05, 2021, 09:47:48 AM »

A lot of the blame for this stupid dispute comes from media people who couldn't wait 10 minutes for AOC to keep telling her story before sending out tweets. By the time she got to the twist ending that the guy banging on doors and yelling was a Capitol Police officer instead of a rioter, they already reported that rioters were at her door. Apparently there was even a misleading Today Show segment on it, per Haley Byrd Wilt's breakdown of the news coverage. (Article link).

So Mace is correcting a widespread misconception from the media, and then AOC thinks she's attacking her, and they have this petty slapfight on Twitter.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4654 on: February 05, 2021, 04:25:47 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4655 on: February 05, 2021, 04:34:01 PM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4656 on: February 05, 2021, 05:10:38 PM »

No charges have been recommended for the cop who shot the lady whose name I’m not gonna say.

Good. They were trespassing and warned. He did his job.

Really amazing how Jan 6 just erased an entire summer of advocacy for Black Lives Matter views on use of force by police.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4657 on: February 05, 2021, 05:29:51 PM »

No charges have been recommended for the cop who shot the lady whose name I’m not gonna say.

Really amazing how Jan 6 just erased an entire summer of advocacy for Black Lives Matter views on use of force by police.
Do you seriously not see the difference between a woman at the head of a lynch mob attempting to break through the last barricade between themselves and their targets and a mentally ill man who bounced a check or a guy selling loose cigarettes or a teenager stealing cigars or a 13 year old playing with a toy gun?
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4658 on: February 05, 2021, 06:05:56 PM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4659 on: February 05, 2021, 08:59:17 PM »

This is hilarious:  https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_601d60d2c5b69749da3d2ded

A group of Trumpers from PA chartered a bus to take them to DC.  When it was time to go home, two of them showed up drunk, an hour late for departure, and bragging about being inside the Capitol.  So somebody called the Feds on 'em. Grin
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4660 on: February 05, 2021, 09:10:18 PM »

I've had very little to say about that, if anything. I can't recall offhand any posts I've made about that.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4661 on: February 05, 2021, 11:13:46 PM »

If all else fails, Democrats still have one constitutional tool left in their arsenal to prevent Donald Trump from ever holding an elected office ever again, and we can thank Reconstruction-era Republicans for it:

Congress Still Has One More Way to Ban Trump from Future Office

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Amendment 14, Section 3

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4662 on: February 05, 2021, 11:16:35 PM »

Right, because Breonna Taylor was totally trying to break into the capitol and possibly assassinate members of Congress. I forgot.

I get that being a contrarian on literally everything is your schtick, but this is tedious at best and you know it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #4663 on: February 05, 2021, 11:50:15 PM »

Right, because Breonna Taylor was totally trying to break into the capitol and possibly assassinate members of Congress. I forgot.

I get that being a contrarian on literally everything is your schtick, but this is tedious at best and you know it.

Do you agree that "they were trespassing and warned" is a sufficient reason for police to shoot someone?   It's pretty clear to me that liberals would only apply that standard to redneck deplorables.   Or maybe a scary homophobic muslim.

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4664 on: February 05, 2021, 11:54:31 PM »

Do you agree that "they were trespassing and warned" is a sufficient reason for police to shoot someone?   It's pretty clear to me that liberals would only apply that standard to redneck deplorables.   Or maybe a scary homophobic muslim.

Congress isn't any ordinary building. And she was doing a whole lot more than simply trespassing. Hundreds of others were trespassing but only she was killed.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4665 on: February 06, 2021, 12:57:07 AM »

Again, you are assuming and ascribing a standard to me that I never advocated for.
LtNOWIS

« Reply #4666 on: February 06, 2021, 01:34:15 AM »

Congress isn't any ordinary building. And she was doing a whole lot more than simply trespassing. Hundreds of others were trespassing but only she was killed.
Yeah she was actively trying to break through an inner door they were protecting. Because it was close to members of Congeess. I think a lot of people here would be fine with police or security officers killing people in those circumstances, and they would be for the protective details for many other types of senior officials or types of federal buildings.

Imagine you go back in time to 2020 and ask someone, "So, you're against the police killing people right? But what if some crazed intruder busted through the Pentagon perimeter, and the police were too busy dealing with other stuff to stop them. They're smashing through an inner door right near some generals. Should the Pentagon Police shoot them??"

People would respond "well yeah, then they should, if they somehow haven't already shot them. But that is barely related to what we're talking about. We're talking about cops on the street or serving warrants. People doing actual law enforcement roles. We're not talking about federal security police whose main mission is to secure one building or campus, and how they would respond to an actually determined intruder."
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4667 on: February 07, 2021, 09:42:29 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2021, 09:46:46 AM by Winter is coming 🌨 ❄️🥶 »

Shouldn't the title updated to 7 dead? I do understand why it says six, but if we count the second Capitol Police officer's death, we should count the suicide of the DC police officer, too.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4668 on: February 07, 2021, 03:44:28 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4669 on: February 07, 2021, 03:46:41 PM »

Do you seriously not see the difference between a woman at the head of a lynch mob attempting to break through the last barricade between themselves and their targets and a mentally ill man who bounced a check or a guy selling loose cigarettes or a teenager stealing cigars or a 13 year old playing with a toy gun?

No he doesn't, LV. No he doesn't.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4670 on: February 07, 2021, 04:04:04 PM »

Do you agree that "they were trespassing and warned" is a sufficient reason for police to shoot someone?   It's pretty clear to me that liberals would only apply that standard to redneck deplorables.   Or maybe a scary homophobic muslim.

Yeah she was actively trying to break through an inner door they were protecting. Because it was close to members of Congeess. I think a lot of people here would be fine with police or security officers killing people in those circumstances, and they would be for the protective details for many other types of senior officials or types of federal buildings.

Imagine you go back in time to 2020 and ask someone, "So, you're against the police killing people right? But what if some crazed intruder busted through the Pentagon perimeter, and the police were too busy dealing with other stuff to stop them. They're smashing through an inner door right near some generals. Should the Pentagon Police shoot them??"

People would respond "well yeah, then they should, if they somehow haven't already shot them. But that is barely related to what we're talking about. We're talking about cops on the street or serving warrants. People doing actual law enforcement roles. We're not talking about federal security police whose main mission is to secure one building or campus, and how they would respond to an actually determined intruder."

Not only that, but all the trump cultists could see right-through the glass and see the security guard.
Many were loudly calling-out that the guard had a gun (for all the insurrectionists to hear), and you can see him pointing it towards the door/glass/them. If this is not obvious ... this was a guard who was going to use the gun, if it became necessary.

But instead, that ignorant woman decided to just ignore all the signs of "DANGER Will Robinson," and literally crawled right into the barrel of a loaded cannon.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4671 on: February 07, 2021, 04:30:28 PM »

Great thread+comments

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4672 on: February 07, 2021, 06:02:40 PM »

Great thread+comments

This is so strange.
Was that image taken at the Capitol riot? Was it before or after the riot? (I'm confused with that white background.)
Maybe some of our Roman Catholic Atlas members can help, but I believe that is an image of a Saint? (I have seen it before in my younger-years in the Church, but can not recall.)
What a bizarre item to bring to a riot full of screaming profanity/evil, violence and eventual deaths.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4673 on: February 07, 2021, 06:23:27 PM »

^^^^^
Twitter says the statue is the Infant Jesus of Prague, but what wacky significance it has the the Qers, who knows?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4674 on: February 08, 2021, 02:21:37 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 191 192 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies