DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:48:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 [185] 186 187 188 189 190 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 265950 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4600 on: January 28, 2021, 02:05:34 PM »

How does a Navy Seal trained on disinformation warfare fall for this?

From Navy SEAL to Part of the Angry Mob Outside the Capitol
The presence in Washington of a longtime member of the Navy SEALs who was trained to identify misinformation reflects the partisan politics that helped lead to the assault.

But none of it has shaken his belief, against all evidence, that the presidential election was stolen and that people like him were right to rise up.

It is surprising because Mr. Newbold’s background would seem to armor him better than most against the lure of baseless conspiracy theories. In the Navy, he was trained as an expert in sorting information from disinformation, a clandestine commando who spent years working in intelligence paired with the C.I.A., and he once mocked the idea of shadowy antidemocratic plots as “tinfoil hat” thinking.

Even so, like thousands of others who surged to Washington this month to support President Donald J. Trump, Mr. Newbold bought into the fabricated theory that the election was rigged by a shadowy cabal of liberal power brokers who had pushed the nation to the precipice of civil war. No one could persuade him otherwise.

By the late fall of 2020, he was spending time on private Facebook pages where far-right chatter proliferated. He posted long, often angry video soliloquies about how the country was being stolen. He seemed to become increasingly convinced that people were plotting not just against Mr. Trump but against the Constitution, and as a veteran it was his duty to defend it.

Mr. Newbold began holding private meetings at his shooting club with other like-minded members, according to a former member who said he quit because he was alarmed at the growing extremism.

“It became super cultlike,” said the former member, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was afraid of retaliation. “I tried to reason with him, show him facts, and he just went nuclear.”

This is incredible.
A highly trained Intelligence soldier (and the Navy Seals, no less) to go off-the-rails believing in this utter garbage is just mind-blowing.
And when someone else tries to show him additional "data" that contradicts, he goes "nuclear." That's not even how someone who is involved in Intelligence should respond. You need to hear and try to understand what is being presented, not just go batsh*t crazy on the other individual giving you the information.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4601 on: January 28, 2021, 02:12:30 PM »

Man arrested with gun and 20 rounds of ammunition near US Capitol
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4602 on: January 29, 2021, 12:07:41 PM »

vitoNova
United States

« Reply #4603 on: January 29, 2021, 12:40:14 PM »

Because "super-duper high-speed Navy SEAL trained in disinformation warfare"

translated into English:

some dude on a 6-month detail putting together powerpoint presentations for intel officers.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4604 on: January 30, 2021, 02:39:31 AM »

Yoda
United States

« Reply #4605 on: January 30, 2021, 09:32:54 AM »

translated into English:

some dude on a 6-month detail putting together powerpoint presentations for intel officers.

This. I guarantee the CIA officers he worked with were doing all of the real vetting of intelligence and he was more or less....there. Someone with this level of partisanship and disassociation from reality could never execute such a gig effectively on his own.
LtNOWIS

« Reply #4606 on: January 30, 2021, 03:36:24 PM »

The presence in Washington of a longtime member of the Navy SEALs who was trained to identify misinformation reflects the partisan politics that helped lead to the assault.

A Navy SEAL falling into this rabbit hole is less surprising than a regular sailor, given their reputation for right wing idiocy and other unprofessional nonsense.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4607 on: January 30, 2021, 05:06:51 PM »

Another in a long list of potentially criminal actions by the Trump administration:

How Trump’s Focus on Antifa Distracted Attention From the Far-Right Threat
Federal law enforcement shifted resources last year in response to Donald Trump’s insistence that the radical left endangered the country. Meanwhile, right-wing extremism was building ominously.

Mr. Trump’s efforts to focus his administration on the antifa movement and leftist groups did not stop the Justice Department and the F.B.I. from pursuing cases of right-wing extremism. They broke up a kidnapping plot, for example, targeting Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan, a Democrat.

But the effect of his direction was nonetheless substantial, according to interviews with current and former officials, diverting key portions of the federal law enforcement and domestic security agencies at a time when the threat from the far right was building ominously.

In late spring and early summer, as the racial justice demonstrations intensified, Justice Department officials began shifting federal prosecutors and F.B.I. agents from investigations into violent white supremacists to focus on cases involving rioters or anarchists, including those who might be associated with the antifa movement. One Justice Department prosecutor was sufficiently concerned about an excessive focus on antifa that the official went to the department’s independent inspector general, Michael E. Horowitz, telling his office that politics might have played a part.

- Federal prosecutors and agents felt pressure to uncover a left-wing extremist criminal conspiracy that never materialized, according to two people who worked on Justice Department efforts to counter domestic terrorism. They were told to do so even though the F.B.I., in particular, had increasingly expressed concern about the threat from white supremacists, long the top domestic terrorism threat, and well-organized far-right extremist groups that had allied themselves with the president.

- White House and Justice Department officials stifled internal efforts to publicly promote concerns about the far-right threat, with aides to Mr. Trump seeking to suppress the phrase “domestic terrorism” in internal discussions, according to a former official at the Department of Homeland Security.

- Requests for funding to bolster the number of analysts who search social media posts for warnings of potential violent extremism were denied by top homeland security officials, limiting the department’s ability to spot developing threats like the post-Election Day anger among far-right groups over Mr. Trump’s loss.

The Trump administration's focus on Antifa is the textbook example of a red herring, to the detriment of the country as a whole.  
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4608 on: January 30, 2021, 05:16:50 PM »

translated into English:

This. I guarantee the CIA officers he worked with were doing all of the real vetting of intelligence and he was more or less....there. Someone with this level of partisanship and disassociation from reality could never execute such a gig effectively on his own.

Don't buy this. Prior to Trump in particular the military has had a right-wing bias which colors intelligence-gathering. Freak Show like this may very well have been able to skate under the radar for years.

Plus, it's quite possible his descent into conspiracy theory Madness may have accelerated since he left the service.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4609 on: January 30, 2021, 05:25:38 PM »

translated into English:

Don't buy this. Prior to Trump in particular the military has had a right-wing bias which colors intelligence-gathering. Freak Show like this may very well have been able to skate under the radar for years.

Plus, it's quite possible his descent into conspiracy theory Madness may have accelerated since he left the service.

Yeah, I agree completely on both points. The scariest part about the Trump cult is how many seemingly "normal", "respectable", or "intelligent" people it has sucked in.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4610 on: January 30, 2021, 08:43:27 PM »

translated into English:

Yeah, I agree completely on both points. The scariest part about the Trump cult is how many seemingly "normal", "respectable", or "intelligent" people it has sucked in.

Yea the average deplorable at the capitol insurrection wasn't some methhead living in a trailer park, it was a suburban real estate agent or a small business owner.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4611 on: January 30, 2021, 11:01:54 PM »

Another in a long list of potentially criminal actions by the Trump administration:

How Trump’s Focus on Antifa Distracted Attention From the Far-Right Threat
Federal law enforcement shifted resources last year in response to Donald Trump’s insistence that the radical left endangered the country. Meanwhile, right-wing extremism was building ominously.

Mr. Trump’s efforts to focus his administration on the antifa movement and leftist groups did not stop the Justice Department and the F.B.I. from pursuing cases of right-wing extremism. They broke up a kidnapping plot, for example, targeting Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan, a Democrat.

But the effect of his direction was nonetheless substantial, according to interviews with current and former officials, diverting key portions of the federal law enforcement and domestic security agencies at a time when the threat from the far right was building ominously.

In late spring and early summer, as the racial justice demonstrations intensified, Justice Department officials began shifting federal prosecutors and F.B.I. agents from investigations into violent white supremacists to focus on cases involving rioters or anarchists, including those who might be associated with the antifa movement. One Justice Department prosecutor was sufficiently concerned about an excessive focus on antifa that the official went to the department’s independent inspector general, Michael E. Horowitz, telling his office that politics might have played a part.

- Federal prosecutors and agents felt pressure to uncover a left-wing extremist criminal conspiracy that never materialized, according to two people who worked on Justice Department efforts to counter domestic terrorism. They were told to do so even though the F.B.I., in particular, had increasingly expressed concern about the threat from white supremacists, long the top domestic terrorism threat, and well-organized far-right extremist groups that had allied themselves with the president.

- White House and Justice Department officials stifled internal efforts to publicly promote concerns about the far-right threat, with aides to Mr. Trump seeking to suppress the phrase “domestic terrorism” in internal discussions, according to a former official at the Department of Homeland Security.

- Requests for funding to bolster the number of analysts who search social media posts for warnings of potential violent extremism were denied by top homeland security officials, limiting the department’s ability to spot developing threats like the post-Election Day anger among far-right groups over Mr. Trump’s loss.

The Trump administration's focus on Antifa is the textbook example of a red herring, to the detriment of the country as a whole.  

Even worse than a red herring distraction. Trump and officials refused to seriously address the growing rise of these right-wing threats because they explicitly and unreservedly worshipped Trump, and our resident narcissistic personality disorder sociopath is incapable of doing anything but reward people for their personal loyalty no matter how reprehensible or dangerous they are.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4612 on: January 31, 2021, 03:03:50 PM »

A follow-up opinion piece to the earlier story regarding the Pennsylvania social studies teacher who was suspended for being at the “Stop the Steal” rally/Insurrection.

Let’s not make Allentown teacher who attended Capitol rally a ‘martyr’ for free speech | Opinion.

Click here to read ... https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/commentary/allentown-teacher-suspended-jason-moorehead-stop-the-steal-rally-20210129.html
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4613 on: January 31, 2021, 11:46:21 PM »

Just horrifying.

Because some mod just deleted my post suggesting that members of this literal lynch-mob were worthy of death as "inappropriate", let me make it more clear. I sincerely wish that a good armed individual had been there to exercise their complete legal right of Defense of others and, considering the imminent  lethal threat  manifested by a Lynch Mob of 20  angry rioters beating this woman, mowed these people down, as the law permits.

They deserved to die for their actions, legally and morally.

I'm going to call myself out here as a lesson to jumping to conclusions, especially if one has a loaded gun in one's hand.

I meant what I said above. HOWEVER, I personally very well might have started firing at that would be lynch mob to avoid that woman's death, starting with the big ape looking dude holding her.

Bad mistake. HUUUUGE mistake! I went on line to see whatever happened here--still sickened by the report of "no arrests made", which is apparently still the case Angry. I actually saw the attacked woman interviewed. To my shock she said the big guy who grabbed her in that picture was whispering in her ear "Be cool. These people literally want to kill you. Just come with me and I'll get you out of here." And he did. The woman told the CBS affiliate reporter she credits that man with saving her life!

Lesson for us all. Especially to me and a reminder why I refuse to by a gun.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4614 on: February 01, 2021, 12:48:19 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4615 on: February 01, 2021, 01:32:06 PM »

They really weren't sending the best and brightest:

https://lawandcrime.com/u-s-capitol-siege/genius-wore-jacket-with-his-companys-name-and-phone-number-on-it-while-storming-the-capitol/
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4616 on: February 01, 2021, 01:35:24 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2021, 01:43:32 PM by Crumpets »

He probably figured that, after the patriots restored the American constitution, he'd get painted into murals commemorating the day and interviewed on all the talk shows, and it'd be free advertising.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #4617 on: February 01, 2021, 11:34:06 PM »

No charges have been recommended for the cop who shot the lady whose name I’m not gonna say.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4618 on: February 01, 2021, 11:45:05 PM »

A Navy SEAL falling into this rabbit hole is less surprising than a regular sailor, given their reputation for right wing idiocy and other unprofessional nonsense.
Let’s see, Eric Grietens, Dan Crenshaw, and Eric Prince. Yeah let’s shut that thing down until we figure out what’s going on.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4619 on: February 01, 2021, 11:58:20 PM »

No charges have been recommended for the cop who shot the lady whose name I’m not gonna say.

Good. They were trespassing and warned. He did his job.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4620 on: February 02, 2021, 12:09:19 AM »

I agree.
The door seemed to be a last line of defense, before the crazies reached more critical areas of safety for people in The Capitol.
The people that should be held accountable for her loss of life, were the one or two guys who were physically helping her to go through the broken window/door they all created.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #4621 on: February 02, 2021, 12:24:56 AM »

Yup. He deserves a commendation. He likely stopped any more of the monkeys from climbing through that window and literally attacking Congress members.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4622 on: February 02, 2021, 01:17:24 AM »

They did not "fall for" anything. These people do not believe in democracy. "Voter fraud" and "stolen election" are merely talking points that are handed to them so they can justify use of violence to overthrow representative government.

Claiming they fell for anything or were misled into believing this is giving them too much credit and downplaying their vile motives. It's no different than Nazi officials at Nuremburg that denied the Holocaust--they knew they were lying, they said it as an attempt to remove guilt from themselves.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4623 on: February 02, 2021, 02:13:02 AM »

It looks now the only person that is gonna remove Trunp again is Mitt Romney, the D's waited too long to start an Impeachment trial and that is being Generous. 2/9/21 bye Impeachment
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #4624 on: February 02, 2021, 04:57:17 AM »

It looks now the only person that is gonna remove Trunp again is Mitt Romney, the D's waited too long to start an Impeachment trial and that is being Generous. 2/9/21 bye Impeachment

I think Murkowski may vote for impeachment but otherwise you’re probably right.  Democrats sat on this for too long, and they also didn’t manage to keep it in the public’s mind this whole time.  That gave Republicans every opportunity to squash it and turn around any would-be conviction votes.  The few sensible Republicans in Congress are also scared to be censured back home now too, or afraid of being primaried.

They really need to make the Senate vote anonymous.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 [185] 186 187 188 189 190 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies