Is Mormonism Christianity?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:47:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Is Mormonism Christianity?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well now?
Yes (not Christian)
Yes (Christian, not a Mormon)
Yes (Mormon)
No (non Christian)
No (Christian)
No (Mormon)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Is Mormonism Christianity?  (Read 2530 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2021, 08:14:08 PM »

Is there any historical evidence that is present to defend that any early church leader espoused such a view as described by Dr. RI—either accepted by mainstream leaders or by heresies in its early history. If not, and thus being a modern invention, then I concede that Mormonism exceeds what would be considered my personal limit on what is to be considered Christianity based on the following points; the concept of Exaltation, premortal existence, and on a lesser point the supplementary material synchronizing with the previous points.

The pre-existence of souls was actually a doctrine of Origen, though one that ended up being deemed heretical. It dovetails with a neo-Platonist metaphysics and a whole host of unusual doctrines that found greater emphasis with his later followers. Perhaps the most curious Origenist doctrine is the belief that we will be resurrected into spherical bodies.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2021, 09:14:19 PM »

Is there any historical evidence that is present to defend that any early church leader espoused such a view as described by Dr. RI—either accepted by mainstream leaders or by heresies in its early history. If not, and thus being a modern invention, then I concede that Mormonism exceeds what would be considered my personal limit on what is to be considered Christianity based on the following points; the concept of Exaltation, premortal existence, and on a lesser point the supplementary material synchronizing with the previous points.

The pre-existence of souls was actually a doctrine of Origen, though one that ended up being deemed heretical. It dovetails with a neo-Platonist metaphysics and a whole host of unusual doctrines that found greater emphasis with his later followers. Perhaps the most curious Origenist doctrine is the belief that we will be resurrected into spherical bodies.
How much influence from those “neo-Platonist metaphysics” and Origen are in the scripture and apologia of Mormonism? Does the premortal soul, among other theological points of note, in Mormonism “match” that of the aforementioned doctrines?

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2021, 04:16:47 PM »

How much influence from those “neo-Platonist metaphysics” and Origen are in the scripture and apologia of Mormonism? Does the premortal soul, among other theological points of note, in Mormonism “match” that of the aforementioned doctrines?

I honestly don't know enough about Origenist or Mormon cosmology to accurately compare them. A quick Google search showed me that someone at UC Santa Barbara wrote a 500-page doctoral dissertation entitled "The Fulness of the Gospel: Christian Platonism and the Origins of Mormonism", which sounds like it could answer your question. I have a long enough reading list already, but if you are curious enough to commit the time it can be found here.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2021, 02:28:48 PM »

Yes, obviously.
The Puppeteer
Rookie
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2021, 04:45:54 AM »

They are just as much a Christian as all the other faiths that believe they are followers of Christ's teachings. Now whether the religion is true or not is a different story entirely. The point is if you believe you are truly following the teachings of Jesus then you are a Christian in my book.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies