Is witchcraft on the rise?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 09:24:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is witchcraft on the rise?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is witchcraft on the rise?  (Read 1122 times)
wimp
themiddleman
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2021, 11:43:06 AM »
« edited: February 13, 2021, 12:03:56 PM by Lemon juice junkie »

I definitely see a rise of it on social media.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 01:13:15 PM »

In 'benevolent' terms, yes. Tarot, readings etc are becoming popular amongst spiritually inclined 'online' queer Gen Z youths because organised religion has gaslit them.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 03:18:46 PM »

In 'benevolent' terms, yes. Tarot, readings etc are becoming popular amongst spiritually inclined 'online' queer Gen Z youths because organised religion has gaslit them.

I feel like we’ve been hearing this since the 1960s
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 03:30:52 PM »

Something that doesn't exist can't be "on the rise."
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 03:43:02 PM »

What are you using this word to mean here? I keep seeing "gaslight" thrown around hither and yon as, basically, a synonym for "lie", but I trust you to use it in a more precise way than that.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 04:27:39 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2021, 04:45:09 PM by afleitch »

What are you using this word to mean here? I keep seeing "gaslight" thrown around hither and yon as, basically, a synonym for "lie", but I trust you to use it in a more precise way than that.

Worse than lie. Manipulate.

The more difficult it becomes to show outward either hatred or disdain, and attempts at 'conversion' being harder to market and being a mostly busted flush, non affirming churches often need the heavy lifting of queer worshippers; sing for us, act for us, read for us, do community work for us, but you can never minister for us and if you happen to get gay married get out which is emotional and spiritual manipulation.

For groups like Church Clarity, people like Kevin Michael Garcia etc, certainly in the US it's very difficult to find or get a straight answer out of a lot of mainstream Protestant to evangelical churches particularly those who market to young people, about what they believe; not 'let's discuss for a coffee', not 'just try us', not general obfuscation but actual clarity on whether you affirm, even whether you don't but still allow service in the church community. On day one.

That's what I mean by gaslighting. Churches marshal the forces of self-doubt disproportionately and in some cases almost exclusively to queer Christians.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 05:11:17 PM »

A significant amount of the growing Neopagan and Wiccan denominations and traditions utilize “witchcraft”;mystical rituals, elixers, and spells.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 05:37:53 PM »

“Witchcraft” is usually what people mean when they use paganism in a derogatory sense (as opposed to its more philosophical  strains), and it is indeed endemic to all societies which trust the senses over the intellect, including our own.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 08:01:58 PM »

“Witchcraft” is usually what people mean when they use paganism in a derogatory sense (as opposed to its more philosophical  strains), and it is indeed endemic to all societies which trust the senses over the intellect, including our own.
Paganism, stretched out as far as one can take it, is not endemic in our society. Wiccans, the largest “pagan” group, number less than 1.5 million people and the total “pagan” + new age folks probably number less than 1% in adherence.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 01:05:15 AM »

Paganism, stretched out as far as one can take it, is not endemic in our society. Wiccans, the largest “pagan” group, number less than 1.5 million people and the total “pagan” + new age folks probably number less than 1% in adherence.

Group affiliation isn’t really appropriate when it comes to “new age” beliefs - 30% of all Americans believe in astrology after all. Besides, idols like nationalism and identity politics are just as pagan as tarot and the zodiac.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 06:28:39 AM »

Yes.

Christianity and Islam are on the slight uprise, mainly due to growth in the global South. 
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 12:25:33 PM »

Group affiliation isn’t really appropriate when it comes to “new age” beliefs - 30% of all Americans believe in astrology after all. Besides, idols like nationalism and identity politics are just as pagan as tarot and the zodiac.
lol

Fine, the wide usage of taking astrology and zodiac signs seriously might extend it, but can we really say that it’s on the rise since the 1990s? I don’t see much care for occultism nor neoshamanism among either the youth nor culture at large outside of anti-patriarchal witches whom are small now. It doesn’t seem to, and this is the important part, be taken as seriously nor as becoming more socially acceptable than the monopoly American Christianity has.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 12:33:39 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2021, 12:59:44 PM by afleitch »

“Witchcraft” is usually what people mean when they use paganism in a derogatory sense (as opposed to its more philosophical  strains), and it is indeed endemic to all societies which trust the senses over the intellect, including our own.

I don't think on the one hand you can have a dig at the 'otherness' of esotericism or astrology and tarot readings while mainstreaming temple offerings, praying the rosary and glossolalia.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 12:55:57 PM »

lol

Fine, the wide usage of taking astrology and zodiac signs seriously might extend it, but can we really say that it’s on the rise since the 1990s? I don’t see much care for occultism nor neoshamanism among either the youth nor culture at large outside of anti-patriarchal witches whom are small now. It doesn’t seem to, and this is the important part, be taken as seriously nor as becoming more socially acceptable than the monopoly American Christianity has.

That astrology percentage actually is on the rise, yes. Even if it hasn't hit your circles yet, this sort of thing is increasingly popular.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 01:33:22 PM »

lol

That astrology percentage actually is on the rise, yes. Even if it hasn't hit your circles yet, this sort of thing is increasingly popular.

Are there surveys showing this?
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 01:36:57 PM »

lol

Really? Astrology is so 1680s.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 02:04:10 PM »

lol

Are there surveys showing this?

Yes. Will post a link once I'm not posting from my phone.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 02:08:08 PM »

I'm willing to concede that my perspective is influenced by my own experiences: I grew up within a small social circle in the rural Ozarks and even I know two people who were raised Christian and now identify as witches, as well as two others who don't identify as witches, but definitely make use of some of its practices (these latter two commemorated the most recent samhain by building an altar in the woods, replete with candles, flowers, and the skull of a deer). Which isn't to mention the spiritual beliefs of all the ~ethereal bisexuals~ I've met since coming to college.

I don't think on the one hand you can have a dig at the 'otherness' of esotericism or astrology and tarot readings while mainstreaming temple offerings, praying the rosary and glossolalia.

Actually, I think a large part of Christianity's success as a living tradition is that it appeals to the reason of the senses as well as the reason of mind, and I would love to see churches make clear that Christianity is the fulfillment of what the pagan traditions merely promise. But I respect that that probably sounds eccentric to many believers.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 04:04:30 PM »

Actually, I think a large part of Christianity's success as a living tradition is that it appeals to the reason of the senses as well as the reason of mind

Uh... no.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 05:33:09 PM »

Actually, I think a large part of Christianity's success as a living tradition is that it appeals to the reason of the senses as well as the reason of mind

Uh... no.

I would like to engage with you, but I have no idea which part of my statement you dispute. None whatsoever.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2021, 01:24:31 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2021, 01:27:44 PM by Away, haul away, we'll haul away, Joe! »

Alcibiades, here are some links to (or about) Pew polls showing a mild upswing in belief in astrology:

Pew poll from 2009 showing 25% of American adults believe in astrology
New Yorker article from 2019 citing a figure of 29% from the 2018 Pew poll
Stridently supercilious and condemnatory post on a Columbia University stats blog analyzing the 2018 numbers

Note that the last link has breakdowns by religion and shows almost half of "nothing in particular" respondents believing in astrology, and fully 78% believing in at least one of "spiritual energy located in physical things", psychics, reincarnation, and astrology--the highest of any religious group in the poll. (Avowed atheists, on the other hand, were, as one would expect, the lowest, followed by Evangelicals. Bizarrely, the stats blog interprets the very low "atheists" number as evidence that belief in these sorts of things doesn't substitute for traditional religious belief, while the staggeringly high "nones" number goes completely unremarked-on.)

Given the numbers for reincarnation--51% of "nones" believe in it--I feel increasingly confident in my hypothesis that that is now the plurality belief about the afterlife among Americans who aren't committed Christians.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2021, 01:39:27 PM »

Alcibiades, here are some links to (or about) Pew polls showing a mild upswing in belief in astrology:

Stridently supercilious and condemnatory post on a Columbia University stats blog analyzing the 2018 numbers

Note that the last link has breakdowns by religion and shows almost half of "nothing in particular" respondents believing in astrology, and fully 78% believing in at least one of "spiritual energy located in physical things", psychics, reincarnation, and astrology--the highest of any religious group in the poll. (Avowed atheists, on the other hand, were, as one would expect, the lowest, followed by Evangelicals. Bizarrely, the stats blog interprets the very low "atheists" number as evidence that belief in these sorts of things doesn't substitute for traditional religious belief, while the staggeringly high "nones" number goes completely unremarked-on.)

Given the numbers for reincarnation--51% of "nones" believe in it--I feel increasingly confident in my hypothesis that that is now the plurality belief about the afterlife among Americans who aren't committed Christians.

Thanks for taking the time to find these. I’m not sure whether an increase of 5% in public polling ought to be considered statistically significant, due to the inevitable margin of error, but I’m certainly prepared to believe that belief in astrology is rising in certain groups.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2021, 02:46:37 PM »

Pew asked again in 2017.

www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/10/01/new-age-beliefs-common-among-both-religious-and-nonreligious-americans

Only worth noting because the make-up of the rapidly increasing 'none' demographic has shifted a lot since then. But the figures aren't too different. Indeed the nones' figures align closely with mainline/historically black/Catholic views (which probably fits with where these 'nones' have came from.) You can also see it reflected in younger respondents.

UK polling from the same year (and 2015) has belief in astrology at 19% or 6% depending on who asked. So there's a bit of cultural difference.
The Puppeteer
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2021, 04:24:17 AM »

I would say that depends on how you define what makes a witch. If we are talking about every group claiming to be witches then I would say yes. Fortunately I find this makes things much easier for me as it makes it far easier to avoid stigma.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies