Is Catholicism Christianity?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:02:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Is Catholicism Christianity?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: See above
Yes (Catholic)

Yes (Non-Catholic Christian)

Yes (Non-Christian)

No, but some individual Catholics are Christians in spite of the Catholic Church

No, and no individual Catholics are Christians/are saved

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 102

Author Topic: Is Catholicism Christianity?  (Read 3394 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 01:44:02 AM »

Too much of your emotional animosity toward religion comes through in your persona of “intellectually superior atheist who’s above this stuff.”  You can make some counter argument (“Well, when these fanatics pass legislation and influence society, it directly affects me!”), but I suspect you know this is true.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2021, 06:36:27 AM »

Too much of your emotional animosity toward religion comes through in your persona of “intellectually superior atheist who’s above this stuff.”  You can make some counter argument (“Well, when these fanatics pass legislation and influence society, it directly affects me!”), but I suspect you know this is true.

I've never made an attempt to hide my visceral hatred of religion on this site. It's one of those things where an emotional reaction is warranted; in fact, I'd be annoyed with anyone who didn't have a strongly emotional reaction to this issue one way or the other.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2021, 01:55:47 PM »

Is the Catholic Church that opposed to unity? Given that I believe recent talks with the Orthodox Church was in the news a while ago, to those not familiar with inter-Christian politics it would be seen as not the case.
Rad trads have never been big fans of these talks, but most Catholics are not fundamentalists.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2021, 12:07:00 PM »

Given how the inquisition treated Protestants as heretics, maybe I should make a "Is Protestantism Christianity?" thread Tongue
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2021, 04:20:28 PM »

I've never made an attempt to hide my visceral hatred of religion on this site. It's one of those things where an emotional reaction is warranted; in fact, I'd be annoyed with anyone who didn't have a strongly emotional reaction to this issue one way or the other.

I completely don't give a crap to be honest. I grew up in an essentially totally secularised culture, and religious practice, or debate, or theology is just completely devoid of interest to me because it is completely irrelevant to my upbringing and my culture.

I mean, you live in a society where the influence of religion is still deeply impregnated. So it makes sense for you to have a deeply emotional reaction to it. But for me, the whole concept of being religious is just too fundamentally alien for it to even be really possible to get emotional about. It's just not relevant to the world I live in
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2021, 06:35:08 PM »

I completely don't give a crap to be honest. I grew up in an essentially totally secularised culture, and religious practice, or debate, or theology is just completely devoid of interest to me because it is completely irrelevant to my upbringing and my culture.

I mean, you live in a society where the influence of religion is still deeply impregnated. So it makes sense for you to have a deeply emotional reaction to it. But for me, the whole concept of being religious is just too fundamentally alien for it to even be really possible to get emotional about. It's just not relevant to the world I live in

I wish I had the luxury of feeling this way about it. I certainly did back when I was a kid; I remember feeling no animosity towards religion whatsoever because I was simply never exposed to it. The last five years have been a wake-up call, though. It's become clear that America simply will not progress until it expunges Christianity from the realm of political discourse.

For religious people who don't understand why someone would feel this way, imagine living in a country where 80% of citizens are QAnoners. At some point, that sh*t would start to weigh on you.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2021, 11:03:40 PM »

I'm not entirely sure how and why this thread turned into yet another space for Dule to air his grievances about the religiouses, but considering how laughably absurd the thread's premise was to begin with, I'm inclined to grant him a mulligan.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2021, 03:19:37 AM »

I'm not entirely sure how and why this thread turned into yet another space for Dule to air his grievances about the religiouses, but considering how laughably absurd the thread's premise was to begin with, I'm inclined to grant him a mulligan.
Horseshoe theory! Nathan is Tony Perkins confirmed!
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2021, 07:26:20 AM »

To be honest I sort of wonder exactly how pervasive is Christian influence and what not on the US. Like watching form a distance it seems to me it is "a lot bigger than Europe but still livable"

And I must imagine that where John Dule lives it must be small to non-existent? California isn't exactly a super religious state, let alone his exact metro area.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2021, 09:05:05 AM »

To be honest I sort of wonder exactly how pervasive is Christian influence and what not on the US. Like watching form a distance it seems to me it is "a lot bigger than Europe but still livable"

The hard edge of American political Christianity is always a lot more emboldened during Republican administrations. There's a reason why Dule-style antireligious/antichristian sentiment among socially liberal Americans hit the mainstream under Dubya, mostly receded under Obama, then came roaring back under Trump. I'd like to believe things will get a little calmer again under Biden, but I think some of the enormities that Evangelical (and some Catholic, Mormon, and even Orthodox Jewish) leaders pulled under Trump won't be forgiven or forgotten so easily.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2021, 03:21:45 PM »

From my perspective as a seriously religious non-Christian in the United States, I can say that the proportion of people I interact with (outside of my own religious group) who are meaningfully religious is vanishingly small. Consequently my default assumption until proven otherwise is that anyone who claims to be religious, particularly in a political context, is simply doing so for cultural or political reasons and in fact lacks any sort of real religious belief that I would find worthy of respect.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2021, 03:45:20 PM »

From my perspective as a seriously religious non-Christian in the United States, I can say that the proportion of people I interact with (outside of my own religious group) who are meaningfully religious is vanishingly small. Consequently my default assumption until proven otherwise is that anyone who claims to be religious, particularly in a political context, is simply doing so for cultural or political reasons and in fact lacks any sort of real religious belief that I would find worthy of respect.

Yeah, the thing about the modern phenomenon of religious conservatism is that it's not actually about sincere faith-based moral stances on public policy, but it's all about identity politics for a certain brand of White Americans. There is very little actual religious content to it, and it's obvious if you look at the detail of their rhetoric that they engage in ridiculous mental gymnastics to twist Christian doctrine into the narrow box of post-Reagan conservative orthodoxy. Which is what makes Dule's obsession with debunking it with Facts&Logic(TM) so misguided: that was never the point to begin with.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2021, 02:27:15 PM »

Yeah, the thing about the modern phenomenon of religious conservatism is that it's not actually about sincere faith-based moral stances on public policy, but it's all about identity politics for a certain brand of White Americans. There is very little actual religious content to it, and it's obvious if you look at the detail of their rhetoric that they engage in ridiculous mental gymnastics to twist Christian doctrine into the narrow box of post-Reagan conservative orthodoxy. Which is what makes Dule's obsession with debunking it with Facts&Logic(TM) so misguided: that was never the point to begin with.

I'm much more concerned with debunking the religious left than the religious right. They're far more dangerous.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2021, 02:38:43 PM »

I'm much more concerned with debunking the religious left than the religious right. They're far more dangerous.

Thank you! But you should also consider that the religious right is far more powerful.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2021, 08:46:40 PM »

Here's a good place to share this meme:

If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2021, 08:52:44 PM »

Jack T. Chick would like to know your location
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2021, 09:47:55 PM »

Weaksauce.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2021, 11:17:32 PM »

Yeah. You can do better than this, BRTD.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2021, 11:31:49 PM »

Didn't recommend it because he probably can't Smiley  Anti-Papist BRTD is not good BRTD
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2021, 11:34:33 PM »

I didn't make it. I found it on r/dankchristianmemes
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2021, 11:37:07 PM »

That's not the airtight defense you might hope it is.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2021, 05:36:40 AM »

Didn't recommend it because he probably can't Smiley  Anti-Papist BRTD is not good BRTD

The only person here who makes/shares good anti-Papist memes is HenryWallaceVP.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2021, 08:37:01 AM »

I am tempted to make a "yaas" feminist meme on defence of Roman Catholics after seeing that tbh Tongue
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2021, 12:10:33 PM »

I am tempted to make a "yaas" feminist meme on defence of Roman Catholics after seeing that tbh Tongue

Pseudowoke defenses of Roman Catholicism are some of my favorite defenses of Roman Catholicism. "Anglos who attack the Church's stance on such-and-such a moral issue are really attacking Latin cultures" is another "good" one.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2021, 12:22:51 PM »

If Catholicism really were a polytheistic pagan sect that worshipped Mary as the direct continuation of all the ancient fertility goddesses, then I'd probably convert and stop being all alone in my faith as a High Priestess without a tribe. There's a lot that I envy about Catholicism; I'm still trying to figure out how to tie theophagy and Olivier Messiaen into my own practice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies