Doctor Who Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:32:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Doctor Who Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Doctor Who Megathread  (Read 4403 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2021, 08:22:36 AM »

Best episode of Whittakers by far, that is a fantastic episode.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2021, 06:30:42 PM »

I recorded the episode and finally had time to watch it today.  Agree with you on both counts.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2021, 01:38:41 AM »

"Reverse the polarity of the Neutron flow!"
haha never get's old.  Cheesy

I take it you're a big fan of the Third Doctor?

I had high hopes for this episode and I was not disappointed. It drew from all of the previous Angel episodes. I have to say I feel the show is really firing on all cylinders right now. The cliffhanger? Wow.

If there's one thing I didn't really like, it's what happens when the Angel gets you a second time.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2021, 10:01:12 AM »

He's certainly in my top 3.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2021, 10:52:26 AM »

Yeah, his era was certainly different. He had a very different style. I have to say I definitely preferred Liz amongst his companions. Among the Classic Who Doctors, I still like the Second above the others.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2021, 09:05:04 AM »

Things are starting to come together as expected. Appears they also gave a reason for UNIT timeline to be all wonky but that made the Uber fans mad. Lot of single conservative dudes online complaining about how “woke” the episode was and changing things, the irony of them wanting their feelings taken into consideration.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2021, 04:17:35 PM »

Was there a point to the Grand Serpent?  Confused
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2021, 03:15:19 AM »

The final part was good, but not great. But then again, endings are rarely great. I think the only exception to that was the Heaven Sent/Hell Bent two-parter at the end of Series 9. I thought Hell Bent was better than its first part. I wasn't disappointed though.

I do hope we can keep at least one companion between this Doctor and the next. That's probably one of the biggest reasons I found it so jarring going from Series 4 to Series 5. It was too much change all in one go. While I do think Matt Smith was a really good Doctor, I felt so many of the stories were rather underwhelming. As soon as Moffat was at his best (imo, 12th Doctor and Bill), he left. I would've loved another season with those two. It reminded me of the 10th Doctor and Donna.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2021, 07:10:16 PM »

The final part was good, but not great. But then again, endings are rarely great. I think the only exception to that was the Heaven Sent/Hell Bent two-parter at the end of Series 9. I thought Hell Bent was better than its first part. I wasn't disappointed though.

I do hope we can keep at least one companion between this Doctor and the next. That's probably one of the biggest reasons I found it so jarring going from Series 4 to Series 5. It was too much change all in one go. While I do think Matt Smith was a really good Doctor, I felt so many of the stories were rather underwhelming. As soon as Moffat was at his best (imo, 12th Doctor and Bill), he left. I would've loved another season with those two. It reminded me of the 10th Doctor and Donna.

We’ve already got confirmation that Mandip Gil (Yaz) is leaving, and John Bishop (Dan) is starting a new evening standup show, as well as continuing to tour, so I doubt it will happen this time.

The jarring change is just one of the unfortunate side effects of changing showrunners I think.

Every time the showrunner has shifted, they’ve thrown out the old Doctor, companion(s), and Tardis for a fresh start.

I do agree though - inter-Doctor companions make for some good drama. I was lukewarm on Series 8 at first, but Clara adjusting to a radically different Doctor was one of the things that pulled me back into the show.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2021, 07:33:02 PM »

Was there a point to the Grand Serpent?  Confused
No.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2021, 07:40:59 PM »

We’ve already got confirmation that Mandip Gil (Yaz) is leaving, and John Bishop (Dan) is starting a new evening standup show, as well as continuing to tour, so I doubt it will happen this time.

The jarring change is just one of the unfortunate side effects of changing showrunners I think.

Every time the showrunner has shifted, they’ve thrown out the old Doctor, companion(s), and Tardis for a fresh start.

I do agree though - inter-Doctor companions make for some good drama. I was lukewarm on Series 8 at first, but Clara adjusting to a radically different Doctor was one of the things that pulled me back into the show.

Tom Baker went through many showrunners before landing on the infamous one.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2021, 09:19:26 AM »

Tom Baker went through many showrunners before landing on the infamous one.

Ah, I was talking post-revival Who, which seems like the best context to work in.

The BBC, and TV at large was wildly different in the 70s/80s, and run in quite different circumstances. The official showrunner/head-writer position itself is a post-2005 innovation, replacing the more general producer credit held by everyone from the OG, Verity Lambert, all the way through to the ever-controversial JNT.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2021, 04:06:59 AM »

Aw, that's disappointing. It's not that I'm even necessarily too attached to these companions. I've felt it sort of smoothes things over. Obviously, I'm not against change. I don't think you can be and still be a fan of Doctor Who. But it's like too much change if you change both the Doctor and companion. Keeping a companion can sort of distract from other changes, just as you said with Clara and the change from the 11th to 12th Doctor. I was sort of lukewarm with Clara from the start, but she really endeared herself to me with the 12th Doctor. The ending of Face the Raven left me stone-faced.

Ah, I was talking post-revival Who, which seems like the best context to work in.

The BBC, and TV at large was wildly different in the 70s/80s, and run in quite different circumstances. The official showrunner/head-writer position itself is a post-2005 innovation, replacing the more general producer credit held by everyone from the OG, Verity Lambert, all the way through to the ever-controversial JNT.

I'm familiar with Classic Doctor Who, but I've never watched it in order. I do wonder if it'll be different with a previous showrunner returning. I think the most exciting aspect of the next series is that RTD will be returning.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2021, 02:25:32 PM »

Aw, that's disappointing. It's not that I'm even necessarily too attached to these companions. I've felt it sort of smoothes things over. Obviously, I'm not against change. I don't think you can be and still be a fan of Doctor Who. But it's like too much change if you change both the Doctor and companion. Keeping a companion can sort of distract from other changes, just as you said with Clara and the change from the 11th to 12th Doctor. I was sort of lukewarm with Clara from the start, but she really endeared herself to me with the 12th Doctor. The ending of Face the Raven left me stone-faced.

I'm familiar with Classic Doctor Who, but I've never watched it in order. I do wonder if it'll be different with a previous showrunner returning. I think the most exciting aspect of the next series is that RTD will be returning.

This is not a positive.

Davies had his time, and while it was decent under Eccleston...it really was rather lacking until almost the end of his run.

It's time for someone truly new.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2021, 02:32:19 PM »

This is not a positive.

Davies had his time, and while it was decent under Eccleston...it really was rather lacking until almost the end of his run.

It's time for someone truly new.

Different strokes.  I thought the second half of Tennant's second season (from "Human Nature" through the end) is by far the strongest run of episodes in the revived show, and perhaps even in all of Doctor Who.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2022, 03:47:32 PM »

Episode was ok, nothing special but Ace and Tegan back for the final episode! One more episode left until everyone starts hating RTD again and the “homosexual agenda” attack returns.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2022, 11:53:32 AM »

Episode was ok, nothing special but Ace and Tegan back for the final episode! One more episode left until everyone starts hating RTD again and the “homosexual agenda” attack returns.

Oh, I can't help but dread their returns. Don't get me wrong, I f**king love Tegan & Ace... but they're still returning in a Chibnall episode, after all. His cramming them into his already-overstuffed finale (from the trailer alone: regeneration & multiple arc wrap-ups, Yaz & Dan's goodbyes, the Master, Kate & UNIT, Vinder, Cybermen & Ashad, Daleks; THERE'S A SHI*TON MORE BASED ON SET LEAKS, BUT I WON'T BE REPEATING BLATANT SPOILERS HERE) really rather neuters most of my excitement over their return, given his writing & the quality of his show (I mean, c'mon, when Tegan left the TARDIS because she couldn't stand the violence anymore, you can't have her LITERALLY FIRING A MACHINE GUN in her very next appearance on the show & expect to be praised for it), so no way am I getting fooled into being excited for this episode by Chibnall cheaply wheeling out some fan-wank cameos. At least only one more Chibnall episode still needs to be endured for this collective ordeal to finally be over.

There's just no way to reasonably hope that this episode will be coherent. I wish the cameos had been saved for the 60th.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2022, 04:41:19 PM »

Legend of the Sea Devils had a cool premise (Chinese pirates and sea monsters in the early 19th century), but as usual it suffered from Chibnall's stale writing. He just isn't on the same level as RTD and Moffat, something that should have been apparent all along from watching his RTD/Moffat era episodes. Well, it will be soon over anyway.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2022, 07:41:56 AM »

Ncuti Gatwa is the new Doctor. Black and gay, going to piss off the usual.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2022, 08:00:09 AM »

I didn't realize he was gay, but honestly, now that I know, I'm even more excited than I was before.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2022, 08:03:32 AM »

Personally, my pick would have been Lashana Lynch, since I highly doubt the James Bond franchise is actually going to continue with her character as 007 (though she did survive No Time To Die...).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2022, 08:17:39 AM »

Personally, I would've preferred that another woman be selected in order to specifically counter the notion that 13's run was bad because it was Jodie, a woman. However, at least the show isn't going backwards by casting Gatwa. Plus, he's RTD's choice, so I have no doubts about his ability to actually pull the role off. Here's to a hopefully great new era!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2022, 09:20:51 AM »

I didn't realize he was gay, but honestly, now that I know, I'm even more excited than I was before.

Unless I'm mistaken, Gatwa, doesn't talk about his sexuality. He does play a gay character on Sex Education, but I'm not sure about Gatwa himself.

There is the possibility that he's just a very good actor.

Personally, I would've preferred that another woman be selected in order to specifically counter the notion that 13's run was bad because it was Jodie, a woman. However, at least the show isn't going backwards by casting Gatwa. Plus, he's RTD's choice, so I have no doubts about his ability to actually pull the role off. Here's to a hopefully great new era!

If you want to see him, go watch Sex Education. He is one of the show's biggest highlights.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2022, 10:27:07 AM »

Yes, I am now familiar with "detty pig".
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2022, 12:02:38 PM »

Da#n right.  We want our gingers!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies