Doctor Who Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:42:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Doctor Who Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Doctor Who Megathread  (Read 4401 times)
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2023, 09:07:40 PM »

New episode was good.

Spoiler alert: The Star Beast (special, 2023)

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2023, 04:38:48 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2024, 11:36:33 PM by Mr. Smith »

Finally caught up.

It's a step down from any of the 2022 Specials, the very stale theme remix certainly is, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but Chibs was more subtle regarding the social commentary

That said, the vibe, characterizations, and pacing still feel more like the height of RTD, if muted, rather than that of the excesses [by which I mean the melodrama].

Donna is fun as ever, and for what RTD & Co. wanted, Tennant does good. The villain for the episode is quite good, and I like the build up to The Celestial Toymaker. Also the TARDIS inside is amazing.

Star Beast B-
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2023, 06:38:48 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2023, 06:46:28 PM by Middle-aged Europe »

After I had been a bit underwhelmed with last week's kind of standard monster story, this week's Wild Blue Yonder truly marked a return to form with a scary-ass mindf**k episode that seemed to be function as a (somewhat kid-friendlier) cross between The Thing and Event Horizon.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2023, 09:31:35 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2023, 02:16:25 PM by Mr. Smith »

Not gonna say much about last week's episode, 'cuz there's really not much to say for it until Old Man Wilfred returns. It was just there really.

But this week's episode, now this is the one we deserve, even if I'm still not quite sure I like the ending, or maybe I should say, I don't believe Tennant's Doctor deserves it...would've been much happier if this had been Smith's part or Capaldi's [but especially Smith]...but like I said before, for what the aim was, RTD & Co. "understood the assignment".

I appreciate that regeneration used some musical touches from the very first modern regeneration, which brought forth Tennant in the first place.

Hmmm,

Wild Blue Yonder: C
The Giggle: B
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2023, 09:42:59 AM »

Not gonna say much about last week's episode, 'cuz there's really not much to say for it until Old Man Wilfred returns. It was just there really.

But this week's episode, now this is the one we deserve, even if I'm still not quite sure I like the ending, or maybe I should say, I don't believe Tennant's Doctor deserves it...would've been much happier if this had been Smith's part or Capaldi's [but especially Smith]...but like I said before, for what the aim was, RTD & Co. "understood the assignment".

I appreciate that regeneration used some musical touches from the very first modern regeneration, which brought forth Tennant in the first place.

Really? I quite liked last week's episode (apart from the rather silly and pointless opening bit with Newton). It reminded me of scary, psychological episodes like Blink or Silence in the Library.  But to each his own. Smiley

I haven't had a chance to watch the latest one yet.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2023, 10:46:48 AM »
« Edited: December 10, 2023, 12:32:19 PM by MasterJedi »

I don’t mind what happened but somehow people like it. If this was done by Chibby and 13 it would have been reviled. Fanbase is a joke.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2023, 05:44:14 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2023, 05:07:43 AM by Middle-aged Europe »

Spoilers for The Giggle...

so, RTD basically just opened a huge f***ing door for Tennant to return on a recurring basis in future episodes in maybe Christmas specials or series finales or something. No convoluted plots as to why the Doctor happens to meet one of his former incarnations. I certainly can live with that. Cheesy
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2023, 09:11:02 PM »

Finally got around to watching The Giggle. That was insane.

Spoiler alert: The Giggle (special, 2023)

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2023, 03:45:46 PM »

Just watched the Christmas special.  That was truly demented (in a good way)!  It reminded me a lot of "Rose", the initial episode of the Doctor Who revival in 2005 -- perhaps not too surprisingly, since RTD has returned to take the helm as showrunner again.

And the question that I'm sure we're all asking:

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2023, 08:53:52 PM »

Finally watched the special and I have to ask:  Why did we have all this David Tennant nonsense, when Gatwa is already more interesting than anyone since Eccleston?!...at least Matt Smith at a minimum.

It's just amazing how quickly he slipped into it.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2023, 12:13:27 PM »

Finally watched the special and I have to ask:  Why did we have all this David Tennant nonsense, when Gatwa is already more interesting than anyone since Eccleston?!...at least Matt Smith at a minimum.

He practically bubbles over with energy and charisma.  And Ruby is adorable.  I'm really interested to see how the upcoming season goes.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2023, 06:26:29 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2023, 02:45:52 PM by Perlen vor den Schweinen »

I didn't care much for "The Giggle." I thought it was cramming too much into 50-minute story. Lots of good moments on their own, but when everything was put together, the final product... was not what I would call "cohesive." Lots of tonal whiplash and unexplored ideas as a result.

I am glad that there were few details of the bigeneration and the TARDIS duplication. Either it's able to be written off easily with few implications, or it's Not A Good Look with a lot of Not Great implications. Given 15 is described as "older" and does not "have the baggage" of 14 because he "went through rehab" as 14, I am of the stance that 14 eventually becomes 15... no "two separate Doctor" entities scenario.

The ending did make me cry (specifically, the scene in the TARDIS), but... long-story short, I say it is a corny and poorly-built conclusion for the 14th Doctor (and corny for "the Doctor's retirement" in general). Such is the nature of having so little time to start and finish an arc.

Regardless, I liked "The Giggle" because it was fun and had good character moments. 6.5/10 or something ig

Christmas special review coming later.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2023, 11:31:54 PM »

He practically bubbles over with energy and charisma.  And Ruby is adorable.  I'm really interested to see how the upcoming season goes.

Me too, which is not what I would've said when I initially heard Davies was coming back, and especially not after hearing it wouldn't immediately follow Whittaker.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2023, 03:24:42 AM »

the wife just had to show me something from the newest episode before I left for work tonight.  There was some sort of big monster eating stuff (babies?) off of a conveyor belt and a bunch of smaller monsters were watching another small monster sing a song, and there was like call and responses and other clearly choreographed things.  I had no context and thought it was insane, my wife had context and also found it insane.  WTF was that?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2023, 08:06:34 AM »

the wife just had to show me something from the newest episode before I left for work tonight.  There was some sort of big monster eating stuff (babies?) off of a conveyor belt and a bunch of smaller monsters were watching another small monster sing a song, and there was like call and responses and other clearly choreographed things.  I had no context and thought it was insane, my wife had context and also found it insane.  WTF was that?

It was insane, but it worked. Smiley
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2023, 01:12:51 PM »

Just another Dr. Who episode ofc.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2024, 07:36:29 PM »

7/10. Gatwa is charming through the whole episode.

I have seen that RTD wants to make the world of Doctor Who more "magical" - as if it wasn't already. If anything, "magic" will probably become the quick handwave instead of some kind of technobabble... while technobabble is basically "magic" anyway, it forces the story to justify why some extraordinary thing is happening, versus... magic. Even the swiftest explanations help a great deal. Such "magic-y" handwaving was used in the Christmas special to explain the motives of the goblins.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2024, 10:18:28 AM »

Gatwa certainly is likable which counts for something. He seems to portray one of the most humane, most empathetic Doctors yets - which is a stark contrast to the darker incarnations such as (in recent times) Capaldi.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2024, 08:55:06 PM »

I'm a bit tired of the "mystery Box" trope.
k120
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -6.70

P
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2024, 06:14:29 PM »

I have seen that RTD wants to make the world of Doctor Who more "magical" - as if it wasn't already. If anything, "magic" will probably become the quick handwave instead of some kind of technobabble... while technobabble is basically "magic" anyway, it forces the story to justify why some extraordinary thing is happening, versus... magic. Even the swiftest explanations help a great deal. Such "magic-y" handwaving was used in the Christmas special to explain the motives of the goblins.

I thought Moffatt already did that schtick?
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2024, 10:01:12 PM »

I thought Moffatt already did that schtick?

I had RTD's comments from this article in mind when writing that post:

Radio Times: Doctor Who boss says show is "taking a sly step towards fantasy"

Much of Doctor Who's "sci-fi" is very soft to the point of being fantasy, but it's always been this way from its early days. From RTD's comments + "The Church on Ruby Road," a "genre shift" sounds more like a way to say "the weird concepts will have less explanation."

Matt Smith's tenure played into the "fairytale"... uh, vibe. I'd say that is what was "magical" about it.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2024, 09:54:06 PM »

Rumor is Moffatt is returning for this years Christmas special.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2024, 11:01:40 AM »

Also officially comes out May 10/11 depending on time zone. First two episodes released same day.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #123 on: March 15, 2024, 05:44:37 PM »

Rumor is Moffatt is returning for this years Christmas special.

Nice.  Now if only we could get Georgia Moffett back as well (to clear up one of the greatest remaining loose ends in the new era).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies