How do you explain the Democratic and Republican parties to a layman?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:24:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  How do you explain the Democratic and Republican parties to a layman?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do you explain the Democratic and Republican parties to a layman?  (Read 455 times)
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2021, 12:36:38 AM »

So a couple of months ago I was playing video games with a friend of mine I know IRL. He's roughly my age although he doesn't really know much about social sciences and government, which makes sense for someone of his age and interests. He asked me what the difference between the Democratic and Republican parties were. How do I explain this concept to someone who doesn't know a lot about government? I can't just say stuff like "one is more left-wing while one is more right-wing" or whatnot because that doesn't make much sense.

Does anyone have any ways of explaining it?
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 12:41:05 AM »

I'm not sure how to explain this to a layman, but whoever does, you must do so very, very carefully. Political illiteracy and lack of reasoning skills are endemic to us, and if you misinform your friend, it could lead down a very awful path. Especially with YouTube recommendations and positive feedback loops from algorithms.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 05:39:06 AM »
« Edited: January 04, 2021, 06:07:08 AM by Alcibiades »

This is what I would say:

“The Republican Party is more right-wing, or more conservative. This means that they believe in traditional, often religious-based social values e.g. opposed to abortion, lukewarm on LGBT rights and anti-gun control, and that they believe the government shouldn’t interfere in the economy and people should take responsibility for their own situation e.g. they support low taxes, fewer regulations on business and are against healthcare as a right for all.

“The Democratic Party is left-of-centre, or liberal. They are more inclined to be tolerant on social issues i.e. let people do what they want as long as it isn’t hurting people, so they support a woman’s right to choose an abortion, LGBT rights and are more pro-drug legalisation than the Republicans. They also believe that government has a role to play in helping people and ensuring a fairer economy, so they support higher taxes on the wealthy, regulations on business and the government providing some sort of healthcare for those who can’t afford it.”
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 06:06:28 AM »

“The Republican Party is more right-wing, or more conservative. This means that they believe in traditional, often religious-based social values e.g. opposed to abortion, lukewarm on LGBT rights and anti-gun control, and that they believe the government shouldn’t interfere in the economy and people should take responsibility for their own situation e.g. they support low taxes, fewer regulations on business and are against healthcare as a right for all.

“The Democratic is left-of-centre, or liberal. They are more inclined to be tolerant on social issues i.e. let people do what they want as long as it isn’t hurting people, so they support a woman’s right to choose an abortion, LGBT rights and are more pro-drug legalisation than the Republicans. They also believe that government has a role to play in helping people and ensuring a fairer economy, so they support higher taxes on the wealthy, regulations on business and the government providing some sort of healthcare for those who can’t afford it.”
This is a pretty good explaination.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 08:03:31 AM »

“The Democratic is left-of-centre, or liberal. They are more inclined to be tolerant on social issues i.e. let people do what they want as long as it isn’t hurting people, so they support a woman’s right to choose an abortion, LGBT rights and are more pro-drug legalisation than the Republicans. They also believe that government has a role to play in helping people and ensuring a fairer economy, so they support higher taxes on the wealthy, regulations on business and the government providing some sort of healthcare for those who can’t afford it.”
This is a pretty good explanation.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 12:08:17 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2021, 12:27:53 PM by Dr. RI, Trustbuster »

“The Democratic Party is left-of-centre, or liberal. They are more inclined to be tolerant on social issues i.e. let people do what they want as long as it isn’t hurting people, so they support a woman’s right to choose an abortion, LGBT rights and are more pro-drug legalisation than the Republicans. They also believe that government has a role to play in helping people and ensuring a fairer economy, so they support higher taxes on the wealthy, regulations on business and the government providing some sort of healthcare for those who can’t afford it.”

This was obviously written by someone on the left. If I were trying to explain the parties to a layperson, I'd try to do it in a more unbiased manner. Something like:

The Republican Party believes in self-reliance, self-determination, individual rights, and self-responsibility. The America they believe in is one where anyone with the will, fortitude, forthrightness, and insight to sacrifice, work hard, and work smart can succeed without limit and create a better life for their family and children while the lazy, incompetent, corrupt, and foolish will not be rewarded. They cherish American culture, history, and values including our Christian heritage, which they believe creates a stable and prosperous society. They believe America is a light to the world and that our path is that which others should follow. They believe well-intended attempts by the government to help the poor often backfire and create more problems then they solve, and that private actors can often act more efficiently to help their neighbors.

The Democratic Party believes in inclusion, diversity, equality and fairness, allying with others to achieve goals larger than we could achieve on our own, and that how we treat the least among us is how we are to be judged. The America they believe in is one where no one is left behind, no matter your wealth or power or lack thereof and no matter your background or demographic. They believe America is a country forever moving forward from a flawed past toward a more perfect union, and that anyone who educates themselves and works with others like them can write a chapter in this story of progress. They believe that government actions, even if sometimes ineffectual, should be pursued rather than allow people to languish.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 12:30:31 PM »

I doubt you can explain the Republican Party to even an expert at this time.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 12:46:27 PM »

This was obviously written by someone on the left. If I were trying to explain the parties to a layperson, I'd try to do it in a more unbiased manner. Something like:

The Republican Party believes in self-reliance, self-determination, individual rights, and self-responsibility. The America they believe in is one where anyone with the will, fortitude, forthrightness, and insight to sacrifice, work hard, and work smart can succeed without limit and create a better life for their family and children while the lazy, incompetent, corrupt, and foolish will not be rewarded. They cherish American culture, history, and values including our Christian heritage, which they believe creates a stable and prosperous society. They believe America is a light to the world and that our path is that which others should follow. They believe well-intended attempts by the government to help the poor often backfire and create more problems then they solve, and that private actors can often act more efficiently to help their neighbors.

The Democratic Party believes in inclusion, diversity, equality and fairness, allying with others to achieve goals larger than we could achieve on our own, and that how we treat the least among us is how we are to be judged. The America they believe in is one where no one is left behind, no matter your wealth or power or lack thereof and no matter your background or demographic. They believe America is a country forever moving forward from a flawed past toward a more perfect union, and that anyone who educates themselves and works with others like them can write a chapter in this story of progress. They believe that government actions, even if sometimes ineffectual, should be pursued rather than allow people to languish.

Both of yours read somewhat like advertisement brochures for the parties, although I guess this approach of being biased towards both sides is an interesting way to achieve net zero bias.

Out of interest, what in my descriptions do you think betrays my left-of-centre sympathies?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 01:06:58 PM »

Both of yours read somewhat like advertisement brochures for the parties, although I guess this approach of being biased towards both sides is an interesting way to achieve net zero bias.

Out of interest, what in my descriptions do you think betrays my left-of-centre sympathies?

Yours isn't exceedingly flagrant, but note that almost everything in your description of the Republican Party is framed as what they oppose, rather than what they support, whereas your description of the Democratic Party is framed entirely as what they support, rather than what they oppose.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 01:08:15 PM »

Yours isn't exceedingly flagrant, but note that almost everything in your description of the Republican Party is framed as what they oppose, rather than what they support, whereas your description of the Democratic Party is framed entirely as what they support, rather than what they oppose.

"Support a woman’s right to choose" in particular is also an oddly common example of question-begging that people who say it don't realize is question-begging (as, of course, are formulations like "support an unborn child's right to life").
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 01:08:56 PM »

Democrats are bad and Republicans are worse.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 01:25:35 PM »

That really covers it.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 01:27:09 PM »

"Support a woman’s right to choose" in particular is also an oddly common example of question-begging that people who say it don't realize is question-begging (as, of course, are formulations like "support an unborn child's right to life").

To be honest, I’m not sure how else to best neutrally phrase the Democratic position on abortion. This is essentially a more fleshed out version of “pro-choice”, and “pro-abortion” is obviously incorrect. “Elective abortions should be legal”, maybe?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 01:31:53 PM »

To be honest, I’m not sure how else to best neutrally phrase the Democratic position on abortion. This is essentially a more fleshed out version of “pro-choice”, and “pro-abortion” is obviously incorrect. “Elective abortions should be legal”, maybe?

That sounds neutral to me, yeah.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 02:17:01 PM »

1. Why am I not surprised that the meta-debate over abortion debate labels found its way here too?

2. Speaking of which, if I read RI's post without knowing anything about the two parties except that one is for legal abortion and the other is against it, I would probably assume that Democrats are the latter. But this is of course my bias coming out.

3. I unironically agree with Antonio's post of course (normal, sane, muh cattocomunista).
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 02:19:40 PM »

Republicans: Evil
Democrats: Lesser Evil
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 07:19:58 PM »

Today it's as simple as this:

-Democrats: govern in good faith, generally.
-Republicans: govern in bad faith, entirely.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 09:35:03 PM »

This is a pretty good explaination.

The 1970s want their politics back.

Any explanation that doesn't emphasize that Democrats support democracy whereas Republicans embrace authoritarian rule is providing misinformation to a reprehensible degree.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies