Re: SENATE BILL: COVID-19 Family and Essential Worker Security Act (At Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 08:42:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Re: SENATE BILL: COVID-19 Family and Essential Worker Security Act (At Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Re: SENATE BILL: COVID-19 Family and Essential Worker Security Act (At Final Vote)  (Read 1069 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2021, 01:35:56 PM »
« edited: January 16, 2021, 11:25:09 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

A BILL
To implement a temporary universal basic income program for economic stabilization during the COVID-19 pandemic

Be it enacted by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia assembled
Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the COVID-19 Family and Essential Worker Security Act.

Section 2. COVID-19 Relief Bills for Individuals and Families

i.) Single adults who had an income of less than $75,000 in 2020 shall be eligible for a monthly non-taxable $2,000 check or a non-taxable $2,400 check for married and domestic partners. Families and couples who earn below $150,000 will receive a non-taxable $1,500 check plus an additional non-taxable $500 per child.

ii.) These checks shall be distributed upon the following month after enactment of this law through June of 2021. This stimulus program may be extended at the discretion of Congress.
Sponsor: Scott
Senate Designation: SB28:01
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 01:37:27 PM »

I vaguely recall some discussion of this in relates to the ongoing budget debate, but I am struggling to recall the details.

I have brought this up, mainly to ensure we have something tangible to discuss with the start of the new Senate, though I can imagine Tack would probably we rather not do this, I will let him speak to the implications before I opine further on the budgetary concerns.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 01:41:19 PM »

Also forgot to say this before, but initial debate period has commenced. The sponsor has 24 hours to commence advocacy for this bill and all other members have an addition 48 hours for initial comments and concerns.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 02:22:21 PM »

I vaguely recall some discussion of this in relates to the ongoing budget debate, but I am struggling to recall the details.

I have brought this up, mainly to ensure we have something tangible to discuss with the start of the new Senate, though I can imagine Tack would probably we rather not do this, I will let him speak to the implications before I opine further on the budgetary concerns.

I  actually spoke with Scott about this and from my understanding this is less of a separate program and more of an extension of the current COVID stimulus?

Scott can correct me if I am wrong, but if this is just another COVID extension (one that is actually means tested as opposed to the Pericles one which was a UBI) this bill would be acceptable.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 02:33:03 PM »

I  actually spoke with Scott about this and from my understanding this is less of a separate program and more of an extension of the current COVID stimulus?

Scott can correct me if I am wrong, but if this is just another COVID extension (one that is actually means tested as opposed to the Pericles one which was a UBI) this bill would be acceptable.

I assume Scott can best fill in the details, but can or is this going to replace the Pericles one or will these be running simultaneously?
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 05:07:45 PM »

This is indeed an extension of the COVID stimulus, although in addition to keeping people safe from evictions in the middle of a pandemic, I also anticipate that this might be used as a pilot program for a future permanent UBI program, particularly to assist people who've lost their jobs to automation or are unable to find work due to lack of education credentials.

Frémont is currently conducting a similar, but smaller UBI experiment for the people of Santa Cruz County, Arizona.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 12:28:22 PM »

This is indeed an extension of the COVID stimulus, although in addition to keeping people safe from evictions in the middle of a pandemic, I also anticipate that this might be used as a pilot program for a future permanent UBI program, particularly to assist people who've lost their jobs to automation or are unable to find work due to lack of education credentials.

Frémont is currently conducting a similar, but smaller UBI experiment for the people of Santa Cruz County, Arizona.

How does this interact with the current Pericles program in terms of dates of effectiveness and sunsets on that?

Will these run simultaneously? etc
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 12:55:40 AM »

I've spoken to former Speaker thumb1, who worked with me on some of the first COVID bills.

The most recent legislation on this extends the program through April and mandates that Congress consider an extension by that deadline. I don't think any of us or anyone in the House would have remembered to fulfill that part of the bill by that date, but now that we have a timetable for vaccine distributions we might as well simply extend the program for an additional two months and address this now, rather than later.

New amendment, to extend the program through June and save us the trouble of taking this up in April. Mandates for Congress to do something on a certain date never work.

Quote from: Amendment
A BILL
To implement a temporary universal basic income program for economic stabilization during the COVID-19 pandemic extend COVID-19 stimulus benefits through June

Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the COVID-19 Family and Essential Worker Security Act.

Section 2. Amendment to the Second Emergency Economic Stimulus Act of 2020

The Second Emergency Economic Stimulus Act of 2020 is hereby amended:

A BILL
To extend previously passed COVID Stimulus measures

Be it enacted in both houses of Congress Assembled,
Section 1. Title
1. This legislation may be cited as the Second Emergency Economic Stimulus Act of 2020.
Section 2. Extension of Expiring Stimulus Measures
1. The universal income established under Section 2 of the Emergency Economic Stimulus Act of 2020 shall be extended from October 1, 2020 until April through June 1, 2021, pursuant to subsection 4.
2. From April June 1, 2021, the universal income shall decrease by 25% on the first day of each month until it is eliminated.
3. A congressional vote shall begin 14 days before April 1, 2021 in both houses of Congress for Congress to decide whether or not to extend the universal income.
a) The vote shall be a simple 'Aye' or 'Nay' on the extension. If Aye receives a majority in both houses of Congress then Congress shall be able to decide on the length of the extension. The default shall be for the universal income to continue in full until July 1, 2021, in the event of an Aye vote-unless Congress legislates for an alternative end date.
4. Section 5 of the Emergency Economic Stimulus Act of 2020 shall be amended as follows:
1a. Citizens, permanent residents and households in the Republic of Atlasia who do not have a source of income above the federal minimum wage between April June 1, 2020 and April June 1, 2021; may not be evicted from their house, nor their supply of water, electricity or internet cut off; for not paying the appropriate bills.
1b. Between April 2, 2021 and July 31, 2021; utilities may be cut for not paying their appropriate bills, but no tenants shall be evicted from their house for not paying the appropriate mortgage or rent bills.
1c. After July 31, 2021; companies and tenants may rise the appropriate bills by no more than 10% in order to recover the unpaid dues.
2. The earning of unemployment benefits between April 1st, 2020 and April June 1st, 2021 shall not affect in any way the collection of future unemployment benefits.
3. The payments discussed in Sections 2.1 and 2.2 shall not be counted towards the federal minimum wage accounting discussed in Section 4.1
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 11:39:29 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 08:19:00 PM »

The amendment is adopted.

Is there any other desired changes here?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 04:29:28 AM »

Motion to proceed to final vote.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 01:22:54 AM »

Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 05:58:10 PM »

Since the left supports lockdowns and closing of businesses I will support this bill when it gets to the house. We must help our people as it is the right thing to do.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 11:24:39 PM »

A Final vote is now open on this legislation, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 11:25:29 PM »

AYE
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 12:31:00 AM »

Aye
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 12:32:16 AM »

Aye
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2021, 04:30:41 PM »

Aye
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 03:02:00 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 11:56:54 AM »

Vote on Final Passage of the Covid-19 Family and Essential Work Security Act:

Aye (5): Blair, LT, NC Yankee, Tack and Scott
Nay (0):
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (1): Devout Centrist

This bill has passed the Senate.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2021, 11:59:37 AM »

Quote from: Final Senate Text
A BILL
To extend COVID-19 stimulus benefits through June

Section 1. Title

Section 2. Amendment to the Second Emergency Economic Stimulus Act of 2020

The Second Emergency Economic Stimulus Act of 2020 is hereby amended:

A BILL
To extend previously passed COVID Stimulus measures

Be it enacted in both houses of Congress Assembled,
Section 1. Title
1. This legislation may be cited as the Second Emergency Economic Stimulus Act of 2020.
Section 2. Extension of Expiring Stimulus Measures
1. The universal income established under Section 2 of the Emergency Economic Stimulus Act of 2020 shall be extended through June1, 2021, pursuant to subsection 4.
2. From June 1, 2021, the universal income shall decrease by 25% on the first day of each month until it is eliminated.
3. Section 5 of the Emergency Economic Stimulus Act of 2020 shall be amended as follows:
1a. Citizens, permanent residents and households in the Republic of Atlasia who do not have a source of income above the federal minimum wage between June 1, 2020 and June 1, 2021; may not be evicted from their house, nor their supply of water, electricity or internet cut off; for not paying the appropriate bills.
1b. Between April 2, 2021 and July 31, 2021; utilities may be cut for not paying their appropriate bills, but no tenants shall be evicted from their house for not paying the appropriate mortgage or rent bills.
1c. After July 31, 2021; companies and tenants may rise the appropriate bills by no more than 10% in order to recover the unpaid dues.
2. The earning of unemployment benefits between April 1st, 2020 and June 1st, 2021 shall not affect in any way the collection of future unemployment benefits.
3. The payments discussed in Sections 2.1 and 2.2 shall not be counted towards the federal minimum wage accounting discussed in Section 4.1
People's Regional Senate
Passed 5-0 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies